OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 06:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 02:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi foam!

The evolution of thought and experience you have portrayed here has been quite enjoyable. I'm certain that I have experienced similar plights.

Some rubbers come SO VERY CLOSE to being "your perfect girl", only to decide on another one that was just a little bit more compatible. This is both enlightening and partially disappointing, as we can only really have one main bat.

I have seen from your stories that it is indeed a process of elimination. We MUST ELIMINATE rubbers to find our best one.

The Pimpelmini sounds pretty good!

My appreciation and understanding of the different attributes of various SP rubbers has truly been enhanced by this thread, and for this I am grateful!

I will continue to read up on your Pimplemimi thread!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 09:47 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well one thing Ive learned with both girls and rubbers is the ones you are attracted to are usually more or less identical in personality.

All the pips, whether short long or medium were always pretty spinny and high control. Even DR Evil can make good spin. The Nittaku pimplrmini is just the closest to what I wanted. And I guess what I wanted was something than can play like a very slow inverted with a slight pips effect. Its so close to perfect the only other rubber I could try is the visually similar TSP p3 alpha r.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 14:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Interesting foam. Pimplemini doesn't seem to be one of the highly used pips around, but if it suits you then thats all that matters. I look forward to giving it a try if we can manage a hit over the Summer (and trying that Dr. Evil).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 16:37 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yeah Reb it seems hardly anyone in English speakimg countries uses it but Im guessing a lot of people in Japan do otherwise they wouldnt continue making it. On the otherhand just about every mention of it I can find says its awesome, not many rubbers get almost universal praise. I reckon its got to be right up there as far as high control pips go.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 00:22 

I tried recently Dr Evil on both sides. Here is my impression:
It turned out that red sheet had noticeably higher bounce comparing to black one. Most likely they are from different batches so they are not so consistent in quality control. However it's the slowest rubber I used to try. In scale 1-10, I would rate it as 1,5-2.
Gluing topsheets onto the blade isn't problematic due to relatively thick base and inertness to glue.
Serving is viable, one can put a good amount of spin but placement is what making it really efficient (making serves short and/or bias is sooo easy ;).
Chopping is very good- a ball rarely went long even with OFF blade.
So is blocking. Sometimes it gave dead balls, sometimes a slight reversal, sometimes slight topspin.
Hitting also works, but it's hard to execute them in counter rallies. It's better to make a hit as a final stroke or against underspin.
Topspinning is possible but usage is limited (only as opening stroke against underspin, however when a ball is high enough it's better to hit it).
All my partners admitted oddiness that speed is fast just after the hit of a bat and then rapidly drops especially after the bounce from the table.
Dr Evil is definetly a medium pip. It took me little time to adjust to it from my pips out setup (563-1 and 105 Legend pips out). A long pimples player from our club tried it also but couldn't adjusted to it. The through was too high compare to long pips. In turn I struggled playing long pips after Dr Evil.
In general I liked Dr Evil a lot. It's quite good in all-round tactical play. It allows combine attack, defense and deception. You won't get huge attacking possibilities, nor great defense or deception. But you can have it all in one. To use it efficiently one should combine defense and attack.
If someone is looking for long pips effects (wobbling balls, heavy reversal etc) Dr Evil won't impress you much. But Dr Evil will allow you more variety in game.
If someone playing short or medium pips and want to get more "dark side" I strongly recommend to try Dr Evil. Just don't treat it as long pips.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 01:09 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Alx wrote:
it's the slowest rubber I used to try. In scale 1-10, I would rate it as 1,5-2.

I partially agree with this. If you put very little into the shot, it behaves very slowly, but if you hit it hard, it goes like the clappers. That may be a function of my blade, though.

Quote:
Gluing topsheets onto the blade isn't problematic due to relatively thick base and inertness to glue.

Definitely agree - very easy to work with.

Quote:
Serving is viable, one can put a good amount of spin but placement is what making it really efficient (making serves short and/or bias is sooo easy ;).

Strongly agree. Enough spin to be problematic can be imparted, but there's also great control and lots of variability.

Quote:
Chopping is very good- a ball rarely went long even with OFF blade.

I like to chop with it, but I do have a tendency to take it too early, as my game is increasingly about close to the table and angles, so stepping back and waiting is a bit different, but I can get it back reliably and with good spin.

Quote:
So is blocking. Sometimes it gave dead balls, sometimes a slight reversal, sometimes slight topspin.

Blocking is a dream - BH or FH.

Quote:
Hitting also works, but it's hard to execute them in counter rallies. It's better to make a hit as a final stroke or against underspin.

Here I diverge. Hitting is great, but I find it fine in counter-rallies too.

Quote:
Topspinning is possible but usage is limited (only as opening stroke against underspin, however when a ball is high enough it's better to hit it).

Slight disagreement - with a slow stroke, a fair amount of topspin can be created, but I usually hit rather than spin.

Quote:
Dr Evil is definetly a medium pip. It took me little time to adjust to it from my pips out setup (563-1 and 105 Legend pips out)

I definitely disagree here. I played a season with C7, which is definitely a MP. Dr Evil is definitely a SP, both in terms of behaviour and geometry.

Quote:
In general I liked Dr Evil a lot. It's quite good in all-round tactical play. It allows combine attack, defense and deception. You won't get huge attacking possibilities, nor great defense or deception. But you can have it all in one. To use it efficiently one should combine defense and attack.

Absolutely agree. Dr Evil offers great versatility and control.

Quote:
If someone is looking for long pips effects (wobbling balls, heavy reversal etc) Dr Evil won't impress you much. But Dr Evil will allow you more variety in game.

:up:

Quote:
If someone playing short or medium pips and want to get more "dark side" I strongly recommend to try Dr Evil. Just don't treat it as long pips.

Spot on. Thanks very much for your thoughts - hope you don't mind my reflections on them!

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 05:43 

Thank you for your additions, LordCope!
Next time I'll pay more attention to hitting. I've got an impression that counter-hitting rallies are just exhausting against sponged players. :(
Regarding comparison of Dr Evil and MPs:
DHS C7 seems to be the closest to long pips among medium pips and 563 series tend toward short pips behavior. That's why our estimations might be different.
I define for myself medium pips as pips that:
- can counterhit against incoming loop
- can give reversal against incoming loop when passive blocking
Dr Evil fits these criteria. So I treat them as medium ones for myself :)

I don't know about other hardbat rubbers, but as for Dr Evil- I think it's underestimated rubber in modern table tennis among amateurs. Hardbat got inferior reputation after its defeat to sponged rubbers at top level.
But frictionless pips, Neubauer's style, close-to-the table long pips blocking also never had big success at top level. However they are very popular among amateurs...
Besides hardbat has its own charm. It's like driving a sport car used to be the best in the first half of XX century. :oops: You don't get the maximum speed (Dr Evil is slow rubber) , you don't have support from the modern technologies (no tensor or ultra grip), but you got a comfort ( dr evil gives you huge amount of control in placement) and a piece of history...

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 18:57 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Alx wrote:
Besides hardbat has its own charm. It's like driving a sport car used to be the best in the first half of XX century. :oops: You don't get the maximum speed (Dr Evil is slow rubber) , you don't have support from the modern technologies (no tensor or ultra grip), but you got a comfort ( dr evil gives you huge amount of control in placement) and a piece of history...

:up: :up: :up: :clap:

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 21:12 

Blade: TSP Balsa 5.5 All+
FH: Nittaku Beautry 1.8mm
BH: S&T Hellfire ox

Martin shows how Dr Evil can be used effectively.

V02

Setup3: Blade: DMS Destroyer FH: Tenergy 05 max BH: DMS Transformer 1.5

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 04:02 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Nice. Looks/sounds like he's using Dr Evil on both sides.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 06:25 

Blade: TSP Balsa 5.5 All+
FH: Nittaku Beautry 1.8mm
BH: S&T Hellfire ox
Yes. Dr Evil ox on both sides of a Tibhar Chila light blade.
Martin is ranked 33 in the UK vetts now.

Setup3: Blade: DMS Destroyer FH: Tenergy 05 max BH: DMS Transformer 1.5

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 02:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

haggisv wrote:
foam wrote:
So about the rubber... It has very narrow pips, more like an inverted rubber than short pips out.

From memory it's basically a 804 (anti) sheet turned upside-down, so that ties in well with your observation :up:

So if I want Dr. Evil, there's no point in looking around for it (it's pretty much unobtainable from my usual sources) when I can buy this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RITC-72 ... 14615.html

and glue it on upside down?? Wonder what other inverted topsheets can be used like this....

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 07:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
my son uses dr evil on his b/h.
a very good tennis player has joined our tt club and is doing well with the good dr on his f/h.
he may go evil on both wings in due course :devil: its easy to get in the uk & cheap

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 08:47 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
I played with Dr evil both sides for 2 matches last Thursday, went 3-0, 3-0, vs both double Inverted players

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 15:47 

Blade: 729 1060 all raquet
FH: 729
BH: 729
foam wrote:
Well one thing Ive learned with both girls and rubbers is the ones you are attracted to are usually more or less identical in personality.

All the pips, whether short long or medium were always pretty spinny and high control. Even DR Evil can make good spin. The Nittaku pimplrmini is just the closest to what I wanted. And I guess what I wanted was something than can play like a very slow inverted with a slight pips effect. Its so close to perfect the only other rubber I could try is the visually similar TSP p3 alpha r.

Dr evil +other side ox rubber on blade the speed is very low, but dr evil +other side normal sponge rubber on blade the speed is very good