OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 00:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 21:32 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hi Glennholder, I don't find Dr Evil very good for returning serve, yes it could get you out of trouble if you weren't sure how much spin was on the ball but you can't hit a banana return or anything like that which you can *just* do with 802, only just.

I'm usually conservative at tournaments and either push from bh or if I'm excited I'll try and loop winners off serves from my forehand, that's only a 50-50 shot though so it's not something I do every ball, I only do that randomly to try and put the other guy back in his box temporarily. Mostly I do that against high level players who are stuffing around with me so they at least wake up :lol: sometimes you can get lucky hit three in a row and upset them enough to win the first game, then they properly wake up and beat me real good then though :P .

I've always been jealous of people who have a good "opening loop" a slow passive loop off serves or early in the point and I've always found them very difficult to play against, this is a shot I have never been able to do, well I can do it very easily.. if I'm not using tacky hard rubber. Because I always use tacky hard rubber I don't use that shot and just go all or nothing, it's quite difficult to get the right depth in the sponge on that shot when the sponge is so hard. Now that I'm using softer sponge it's a shot I'll be using much more often and one of or the major reason for the soft sponge. I don't even know what I'm saying :) except no I don't use Dr Evil more to especially return serves, I'd rather return serve with inverted and I do twiddle to the inverted side to return serve a fair percentage of the time.

I mentioned somewhere before that I used to hit an old fashioned brush loop from the backhand before I tried to get a modern backhand, I find it a bit hard twiddling from Dr Evil flat hits to inverted and a modern fast wristy backhand and tend to hit balls long, what I've found is my old fashioned brush loop takes out the error there because it's such a different stroke and it also goes well off soft sponge so I'm using that now to mix up with Dr Evil on bh with a twiddle and brush loop off the backhand. I'm not sure how it will go in a hard to win match yet.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 13:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
foam!

Thanks for the feedback! Your analysis of Dr. Evil and 755 continues to reinforce the understanding that all rubbers have strengths and weaknesses, in VARYING degrees! So, it is good to hear what those varying degrees are. From what I have heard from you, Dr. Evil is certainly less sensitive to spin than 799, and that has it's pros and cons. So, the 799 CAN banana flick a backspin serve, but Dr. E has a harder time at this. And it seems that Dr. E is better at HITTING thru spin than 799. Always trade offs!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 23:22 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Had a little hit today, couldn't play very well with Dr Evil because I was a bit tired but was looping well. Having no sponge there to soak up timing errors makes a big difference in non ideal conditions :). Next week I'll try Dr Evil on sponge by the way. I think I'll end up going for a thick soft sponge. Oddly, well thick being.. Probably 1.8mm. Just to make sure the difference is nice and clear.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 02:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

foam!

I recently tried my beloved 799 OX, but this time I had also ordered a sheet with 1.5mm 35 degree soft sponge.

I was amazed at how different the rubber is with the sponge. It had MUCH more grip, even much more than I had expected. But control with the sponge was much less. Chopping, pushing, serve return and flat hitting all had less control. The rubber was twice as sensitive to incoming spin. In fact, I did a spin test, I tried the 1.5mm 799 vs a sheet of 1.8mm 802-40, and the 799 created more spin and was more sensitive to incoming spin than the 802-40. This was a big surprise!

The 799 has a very thin base sheet, the 802-40 has a very thick one. The Dr. Evil has a thick base sheet too.

The 799 with sponge has less control than the 802-40 with sponge.

And I found the OX to give me better control even when I make a very hurried shot against a fast wide ball.

So, I will not continue using the 799 with sponge. I will continue using the OX.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 12:45 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Its interesting because while there is more control in one way with OX, theres less control in another way. Theres the sharpness and direct control without sponge but against hard balls or when you are trying to make spin with the Dr Evil there's not much margin for error like there is with sponge. I guess I'm more used to sponge than you are too and I use the sponge to make the ball do things, I don't find the sponge causes loss of control other than speed with tensors etc. But I've never had a problem with spin against sponge causing me any issues. I will be trying a sponge softer than 35 degree, maybe like high 20s. So that I can hopefully still get sink effect on flat hard hits. I really like it in OX but because I do like it so much I just have to try it with sponge.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 17:19 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I had another hit this morning, forgot to take my drugs last night and I was playing much better today than recent weeks thanks to that oversight :). I'm finally at a point where the majority of my long range chops go on and are all low and fast. Well at least this morning that was the case. During this week I'm getting some Dr Evil on sponge so looking forward to that. Also my Koji blade arrived today at 93 grams and my mates Yasaka extra at 88 grams. I also got the pimplemini rubber on 1.0mm sponge but all that is for other threads :).

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2013, 03:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

foam! you said:
Quote:
I'm finally at a point where the majority of my long range chops go on and are all low and fast.

So....it is indeed true....practice makes for better results!

How effective are you finding these chops to be? When you mix up spin or also hit some inverted chops, are your opponents having trouble with it?

I'm looking forward to your evaluations of the "sponged Evil" and the Medium pips Pimplemini 1.0mm.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2013, 10:07 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hi mate, yes my practice partner told me in his heavy Czech accent, "These low chops are difficult for me". But I,found the mojority of points I win come when I hit a topspin followed by a flat hit with with dr evil. 90% of the time he returns the flat ball into the net due to the variation. It seems to me the deadliest thing about a low spin short pip .

The biggest problem I had with the ox yesterday was the ball slipping off the rubber when I was trying to hit the first topspin part of the spin/flat combo. Sponge will help hugely there.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2013, 03:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hey glennholder, you'll be happy to know I made a Dr Evil with 1.0mm sponge today. Rather than order one with a sponge I unglued a Dawei 1.0mm sponge from a medium pips I wasn't going to use anymore and used that sponge on the Dr Evil. Quite interesting ! The Dr Evil is still very slow on sponge and this wasn't a slow sponge, it's not so slippery any more at least not bouncing/spinny a ball on the blade but still much more slippery than say 802. I guess it will be still dodgy when hitting hard in actual play. Should be a very very interesting rubber now 8).

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2013, 03:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

foam! that is a good experiment, taking the sponge off the Dawei!

It will be interesting so see how it plays! Keep us informed, and let's see how different it is than the ox and the Pimplemini.

The difference between a "slippery" SP and a grippy one is becoming more obvious to me. And I now am understanding the value of a slippery SP in a sponge world. You said this and I now know this is true:
Quote:
But I,found the mojority of points I win come when I hit a topspin followed by a flat hit with with dr evil. 90% of the time he returns the flat ball into the net due to the variation.

And I can see the value of a slippery SP (like Dr. Evil) because you can hit a more spinless flat hit with it than you can with a grippy SP.

The 799 ox is actually very grippy. This has it's weaknesses and strengths. The Dr. Evil is no where near as grippy as the 799, which can be a good thing. I just glued 3 more ox SP onto my blades. I now have 799, 802, 802-40 and Galaxy Pluto in ox! The Pluto is by far the most spinless of these 4. It might be close to the Dr. Evil. I'm going to try the Pluto, and try to hit a topspin followed by a flat hit to see how it works. I think it will work well!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2013, 18:44 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Have you tried 802-1 ? it should be the most slippery of the Friendship short pips other than Dr Evil. I reckon 802-1 on a super soft sponge that lets it bottom out would give a good result for a hitting backhand. Might be worth trying for you in OX, might give some weird effect against heavy spin, who knows.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2013, 03:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

foam!

I will store that info for now on the 802-1. It could be a future consideration.

Because I don't loop, and I'm finding that OX SP's give me amazing control and shot options, I'm going to try OX on both sides. The grippy 799 on one side, the slippery Pluto on the other side. I recently had a hit with 2 players much better than me, and the Pluto was AMAZING on serve return. I caught both of them by surprise on WHERE I was placing my returns. They were used to seeing similar returns on their favorite serves, and the Pluto allowed me to mix things up compared to the usual inverted that they face.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2013, 02:53 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Just in case anyone is interested the Dr Evil 1.0mm is mounted on the Koji blade, Only a couple days till I hit with it but in the meantime I can tell you that in my living room lab you can chop a ball straight up with it and continue chopping with it without loosing control and the spin continues to build. It reaches inverted levels of spin after three chops and sometimes exceeds inverted if you get three good ones. So it seems like it'll be a good thing against a real legit loop. It really feels like it'll be a more capable rubber. I'm hoping I can go after topspin a bit more with it now.

In other short pips news I've ordered some 802-1 1.5mm and another Dr evil which will eventually be mounted on a 30 degree super soft 1.5mm sponge.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2013, 15:23 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Played the 1.0mm Dr Evil today. What a difference some sponge makes!. It made Dr Evil very spinny but in a way that was kind of weird because it's still slow. So while I thought I'd be able to power block everything in reality I couldn't. I don't think overall it was any worse than OX, but overall I don't think it was any better either. I lost the dodgy factor but gained some speed control on mid speed hitting so ended up the same.

I got a package from Rob today and have some 1.5mm butter sponge and another sheet of Dr Evil. I was thinking in trying the butter sponge on 802 instead after seeing no real gain today but I also received some 802-1 on hrs sponge (1.5mm) so there's no point in making a soft 802 when I already have one:) so I'll make the 1.5mm Dr Evil and see if that gives it some punch. If not well then it's a very good OX short pip :).

I also got some DHS G666, one of the very few DHS rubbers I've never tried. It's a 2012 sheet with the new ITTF rego numbers. I was surprised because I thought G666 would be out of production by now, seems not. I hope it uses the old #22 sponge, no sponge markings but the theory is it does use #22. It's a softer topsheet than the Hurricanes, looks very spinny, might be interesting..

The only thing I need now before next year is two new sheets of Haifu whale soft or Grip S because that's awesome stuff and I would quite like to try Tenergy 80 in 1.9mm but I don't know if I can deal with spending that much. Oh and I need to try a good long pip on the Koji blade so I have to ask some questions in the long pip thread about that.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 16:00 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hi guys, I think my days of Doctor Eviling are over because Nittaku pimplemini is better at everything other than outright backspin against loop and it would probably be better there too in ox. Still Dr Evil was nearly perfect for me. I did try 802-1 also its a kind of weird one, both grippier and more slippery than 802 depending on the stroke. I think at pro levels chopping with 802 or 802-1would be great but in reality I'm not that good so pimplemini it is, super easy to use. I'm going to leave Dr Evil on one of my blades because its an excellent rubber to learn to hit with slippery rubbers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next