OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 07:15 

Nexy Kairos Atttack Review by Tommy Zai

Nexy Kairos Attack is a highly effective, disruptive short pips rubber. I demoed it in practice sessions with Tuco of MYTT, doubles play at www.gpccc.org, and matches at the Phoenix Table Tennis Club. Here is my conclusion based on hitting with it and being hit by it:

Speed 8/10
Kairos is reasonably fast and allows you to blast through light to moderate underspin.

Spin 6/10
Kairos Attack has average spin capabilities, which is a welcome trade-off for its ability to nullify a great deal of the opponent’s spin.

Feel (medium soft)
Kairos Attack feels soft to touch, but feels a little harder with hard hits that sink into the base sheet.

Control 8/10
Kairos Attack has effortless control when blocking, but requires adjustments when hitting hard or using topspin. These adaptations are well worth the effort, as hard hit balls will have your opponents asking themselves, “What was that?” One of my coaches told me this, “If the pip is too easy to use, it’s too easy for your opponent.”

Serve Returns 8/10
Kairos Attack hits through, and/or scrubs off opponent’s underspin and sidespin serves better than most short pips rubbers.

Hitting/Blocking 10/10
Kairos Attack hits through chop by using a slight medium pip lifting technique and sends wobbly blasts over the net. For passive and punch blocking, Kairos is amazing. I played several matches against a 1600+ rated penhold blocker. After the matches, I let him try it out. He needed NO adjustment whatsoever and knocked me around the table like a champ. When he added a little zip to his shots, the balls zigzagged all over the place, making it next to impossible to counter comfortably. He controlled Kairos much better than me.

Chopping 5/10
Kairos Attack chops, but I wouldn’t buy this as a chopping rubber. If you want to chop, pick up Nexy Chaos.

Disruption/Deception/Reversal 7/10
Kairos Attack provided an excellent change-up effect, wobbley ball, zigzaggy rockets, and all kinds of other disruptions, which is quite amazing for a short pips rubber. There is no reversal; still, you can hit through spin.

Conclusion
According to another reviewer, “The pips are flexible and have characteristics of medium pips. This rubber is very unique. When play passively, it gives good control because of its soft sponge.” I agree, and I would add, Kairos Attack can give a very flat, dead ball on smashes, but often the ball will do crazy things that mess up the opponent (after you learn how to use if effectively). Kairos is very good for someone starting out with short pips if they are patient, but there are better beginner pips out there. Kairos is the kind of pip that requires blocks effortlessly, but requires a little technique for aggressive shots. Once you master K.A . . . it’s a devastating weapon that will prove to be much more rewarding than transitional short pip rubbers that unsuccessfully mimic inverted rubbers. With K-Attack, when I hit the ball right, it does NOT come back! This is a wonderful short-pips rubber for an advanced beginner to high intermediate level all-around player, who relies on placement and using some disruptive blasts for put-away-shots — I highly recommend Kairos to such a player looking for a good short pips rubber to help with serve return and give your opponents a lot of trouble on your attacks. If you are looking for a looping short pip that plays just like inverted, look elsewhere; yet, this rubber provides it’s own ways to make your opponent feel uncomfortable and help you win points. Tommy Zai gives Kairos two pips up! Thank you Nexy, for creating a unique and useful short pips rubber.

*Equipment used: Nexy Kairos Attack on Nexy Tamar VII, Avalox P700. Affixed with Tear Mender.

For more information:
http://www.nexy.com/shop/step1.php?numb ... 0127065728

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 09:18 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Sounds like a sponged version of Dr. Evil, I bet Tommy has more than one rep with THAT rubber hehe.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 09:20 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Tommy, if you ever make it to upstate NY, I'll give you a tour of a well-deployed military base and a thrashing of Kairos (or Chaos) in the rec center followed by a killer lunch.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 09:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great review Tommy Zai! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 10:20 

Thanks, guys.
Glad you like the review.
I'm trying to contribute a little more than FS/FT/LF and insanity (not that that will ever end).
Hey, upstate military . . . I'm always up for a thrashing . . . here, there, or anywhere.
Hoo Ra!

Last edited by Tommy Zai on 05 Apr 2014, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 10:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You know, the review sounds a little like the Dr Neubauer Killer short pimples.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 10:29 

haggisv wrote:
You know, the review sounds a little like the Dr Neubauer Killer short pimples.

Hey, my review is original, damn it! I worked hard on it.

I want to try Pistol. Is that the one that is on some air sponge?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 10:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Tommy Zai wrote:
Hey, my review is original, damn it! I worked hard on it.

I never doubted it :lol: :lol: :lol: your writing style is truly unique! :up: