OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 09:40 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

beta be agooding review
Still thinking about short pips forehand so Im looking for information nower days

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 04:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tried out the Xiom Zava I pips, red max, last night on the forehand of a penhold Juic Stellan Bengtsson Alpha blade.

These are a horizontally arranged fairly wide pip with a slight taper. Sponge is a beige fairly porous and the top sheet is a tensor bios, fairly firm, harder than that of the Joola Tango Ultra is used to use.

First thing I realized is that compared to my usual 1.3 mm sponge Armstrong Attack 3 short to medium pips is that there was an isolation from the blade, so my natural instinct was to rub the ball rather than hit through it. This produced fairly heavy spin for a short pip and I could do a slow loop against under spin and a spinnier serve and push compared to my usual narrower almost medium pips. This led to some mistakes by my opponents as the level of under, side and topspin on serves was more than they expected.

The other surprise was speed on punches and a fairly short punch would lead to a very quick ball over the table and I won a number of points with blocks wide. When I closed the blade sufficiently and took it early off the bounce the ball went back fast when blocking against topspin, but I didn't have the control or variety I did with the thinner sponge and longer pips to either reduce, continue or change spin.

This seems like a good pip for a power player who has a slower blade and wants to be able to attack from mid as well as close distance or who needs help with power. For me, however it was too much.
If someone likes a max sponge and a spinny pip, this might be just the ticket for their game.

I plan to try it with a shake hand Galaxy W6 blade and let some other players give it a try. After that, I can pass it on to some other U.S. player who might be able to use it better than I can, maybe Beta.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 12:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tried with the Galaxy W6 and while throw was higher than I'm used to, the Xiom Zava balls were noticeably deader than with the Spinlord Waran on the other side. Felt better on the thinner blade with more vibration, probably better on the all wood blade. Others who tried it shake hand thought it played well, and maybe that's why shake handlers prefer thicker sponges than penholders do.

If a beta or another shake handed in the U.S. wants to try it I can send them the sheet.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black