OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 21:49 

Hello all. I want to switch my forehand rubber from inverted to short pips.
I am coming from DHS H3 neo. On my backhand I am playing with Dr Neubauer Grizzlz ABS. As a blade I am using then super ZLC.
My Rating in Germany is about 1800

About my game.
On the backhand I am a typical L.P./Anti player. Pushing blocking close to the table.

On my forehand I have a good topspin with much spin and realy good services.
But I have no good block and no hard killing ball and strong weakness on service return.
Why the He'll should I switch to short pips?

I recognised while a training session that I have a hard killing shot on my forehand when I play close to the table. My block is good close to the table but my topspin is only good if I 1 -1.5 meter behind the table. And I have big difficult to change the distance to the table actively.

So, what I am looking for is a short pips what allows me to
- Still generate spin on my service
- Still allowed to attack backspin ( after my serve our after a good block with my backhand or when my opponent is playing backspin in my deep forehand)
- Have good control on blocking
- Have disruption on blocking
- Smash bad or slow topspin of my opponent
- Smash blocks of my opponent.

Do you have any recommendations.
Best Aaron

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2015, 00:42 

Aaron:

Probably the quickest, smartest approach is to search in OOAK for Kees' messages. You'll see practically an encyclopedia on how and which short pips to play for your style. Don't think you will find too many players/coaches who are as insightful on this type of play as Kees.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 11:22 

Nimzo wrote:
Hello all. I want to switch my forehand rubber from inverted to short pips.
I am coming from DHS H3 neo. On my backhand I am playing with Dr Neubauer Grizzlz ABS. As a blade I am using then super ZLC.
My Rating in Germany is about 1800

About my game.
On the backhand I am a typical L.P./Anti player. Pushing blocking close to the table.

On my forehand I have a good topspin with much spin and realy good services.
But I have no good block and no hard killing ball and strong weakness on service return.
Why the He'll should I switch to short pips?

I recognised while a training session that I have a hard killing shot on my forehand when I play close to the table. My block is good close to the table but my topspin is only good if I 1 -1.5 meter behind the table. And I have big difficult to change the distance to the table actively.

So, what I am looking for is a short pips what allows me to
- Still generate spin on my service
- Still allowed to attack backspin ( after my serve our after a good block with my backhand or when my opponent is playing backspin in my deep forehand)
- Have good control on blocking
- Have disruption on blocking
- Smash bad or slow topspin of my opponent
- Smash blocks of my opponent.

Do you have any recommendations.
Best Aaron

Yes, I can say definitively that what you're looking for is a spinny pip, with a medium sponge and relatively firm topsheet. The reason for this is, any particularly non spinny pip will be terrible for passive blocking! You may cite disruption as being important, but I can tell you that once you start playing 2000+ (USATT) rated players, the amount of spin they create on their loops will make the ball simply drop off your pips into the net. Spinnier pips allow heavily looped balls to still be passively blocked onto the table, while also allowing you more attack options on weak balls. Unless you're a beginner, total disruption will be useless and what you really want is the best compromise between disruption and controlling heavy loops.]

Secondly, a super soft sponge will not be a 'hit-through-the-ball' short pip. If you use a soft sponge, you'll have to hit like Johnny Huang and use strokes that are a compromise between Inverted and SP strokes. A harder sponge will allow you to hit through topspin and backspin and no spin with a relatively similar stroke, which sounds like what you want.

Finally, the softer topsheet (of say, spectol) makes it easier to spin more balls, but a harder topsheet (such as TSP Superspinpips or RITC 802-40) will allow you to hit straight through the balls in question. It's up to you to decide what you want in a pip.

Anyway, for you I'd absolutely recommend Joola Express Ultra: This is a 40 degree Euro sponge, which is fairly hard for short pips.The nicest thing about this is that its very low throw, making it very easy to smash heavy loops with all your strength while still getting your shots on the table. It's extremely spinny when using the spin potential, but at the same time is hard enough in topsheet and sponge to excel at hitting through loops and backspin.

A harder one to use but more rewarding in the long run is TSP Super spinpips: it's not as similar a stroke to hit through topspin as opposed to backspin, but the potential for variation is incredible, and if you can even semi-master it, it will pay serious dividends in your game. The throw however, is high; it's very hard to use if you're used to a short stroke of just slapping balls; one must figure out how to incorporate a bit of topspin onto power shots to consistently land shots on the table. However I'll say again, it's worth it to use this rubber for its potential for variation.

I'm finding it hard to choose between Spectol and Superspinpips for my style of game, but I feel pretty confident in saying Spectol isn't for you. It has a softer sponge than Super Spinpips, and much softer than Joola Express Ultra. It's amazing for hitting through low spin balls, but the topsheet and sponge are so soft that they make it really reactive and relatively hard to predict when dealing with heavy spin (especially heavy topspin).

Another one that's surprisingly great, is the old classic, Ritc 802. If you can get it with the 35 degree 'super soft sponge' (its actually not 'super' soft, just softer', and you can boost it, it's without a doubt one of the best FH SP I've used to date with LP on the backhand. The topsheet is a perfect balance of spinny and firm, while the sponge is also the right balance of hard enough to hit through spin, while soft enough to create its own. I recommend this if you're on a budget and can't afford Express Ultra or TSP Superspinpips.

I hope that helped.

Final recommendations:
Joola Express Ultra
TSP Super Spinpips
RITC 802 (or 802-40 if you want a spinnier pip)

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 19:48 

Beta, thanks for such informative reviews.
And what can you say about 802 40 (standart super soft 35 sponge) and tuttle summer 3c?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2015, 08:34 

Thanks for the info great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk