OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015, 15:51 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I am a little cuious of Friendship 105 Legend (there is a thread about that rubber in MP section, suggestion that it is originally meant as a FH rubber viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18972). I now play with 1,5 mm Spectol on BH, using a defensive soft blade (VKM) and DHS H3-50 on FH for a type of allround game with blocking, pushing chopping and attacking with BH and mostly attacking and pushing with FH. I have been using that blade with Feint Long II for the whole 2014 and before that I played wit other LPs on BH.

I now wonder if my setup really is the best for my current game (not said that I will play this way for the rest of my carreer, but for now I am focusing on playing more close to the table). I will try at least two other blades, I have a Joo-blade and a Stiga Allround NCT (great allround with large sweetspot but not very good for chopping). I also have a 799 SP that I will revistit.

But reading about Legend it made me curious, how is it vcompared to Spectol in terms of speed, grip, sink effekt, chopping away from the table, attacking, spin reversal and so on? Has anyone tried it for BH? Is it too fast for a defensive game? What blade suits it? Is there another SP (or MP) I should consider.

This is what Japsko says about Legend: Shortpimpled rubber made of raw rubber with soft ( c.a H34) light green sponge. Vertical pimple rows which increases the spin in topspin and chops. Spin value top for shortpimpled rubbers but still good pimple effect with sinking balls. Speed slightly less compared to Haifu Dolphin and Palio Flying Dragon but the pimple effect is better. Good durability. A shortpimpled rubber for attack also with topspin.

All input is appreciated!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 02:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
But reading about Legend it made me curious, how is it vcompared to Spectol in terms of speed, grip, sink effekt, chopping away from the table, attacking, spin reversal and so on? Has anyone tried it for BH? Is it too fast for a defensive game? What blade suits it? Is there another SP (or MP) I should consider.

It is a bit slower than Spectol, but Spectol is available with thin sponge, whereas Legend 105 comes in 1.7 and 1.9 mm only (the 1.9 mm sponge is slightly softer than the 1.7mm sponge). Of course you could buy a topsheet and add a suitable (soft) thin sponge. It is spinnier than Spectol, but only if you make the pimples bend; with passive strokes and flat hits there is some reversal (I agree with the remark by Japsko concerning pimple effect).
It is an OFF type rubber; but if used for FH attack, an SP player will have to learn to use a different bat angle, for it is a medium pip and balls will fall off if you close the bat too much or do not graze the ball in the correct manner, producing friction - but it hits quite well.
I have chopped (just to test it) with the 1.9mm version on a slow DEF blade (Joola Toni Hold Whitespot) and wasn't very excited with the amount of backspin it produced; Friendship 802-1 does a better job, for instance, or Globe 889-2; but control is high with chopping and the rubber is not too fast.
I have also played with it on a Re-Impact T4 (an ALL+/OFF- blade which has a thick balsa core) and didn't like it at all - it got very slow and lacked control: the softness of the rubber and the softness of the balsa do not mix very well. I guess it works best on harder blades.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 02:47 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Thanks for the input! I never tried Legend but I recently tried Dawei 388C-1, and my guess is that it plays similar to how you described Legend above. It is possible to chop with 388C-1 but it is not made for that game. Blocking is where it excels. It is almost as easy to attack with as Spectol. And after a month with MP Palio WP 1013 on my soft VKM-blade I realize that MP made for blocking and hitting do not play nice on a soft blade. Now I have moved on to Millitall II 1.6 mm and I use it on my Joo-blade. It also worked nice with a little harder and faster allround blade (Stiga Allround Evolution). But I could feel that the time the ball spent on the blade was shorter with Stiga than with Joo. I also have a Primorac off- to try... My guess is that it will feel too hard and have too short dwell time.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 03:35 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I was interested to see that TTNPP classified Spectol as an MP. Would have thought that a mistake; except a very high level player I played (now veteran o.50 but ex-top 20 UK) queried if they were MPs on examining the bat ahead of the match. It seems to be a fine line.

185g

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 04:21 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

so_devo wrote:
I was interested to see that TTNPP classified Spectol as an MP. Would have thought that a mistake; except a very high level player I played (now veteran o.50 but ex-top 20 UK) queried if they were MPs on examining the bat ahead of the match. It seems to be a fine line.

Since ITTF only categorize in Long and Out there are no general decided category for MP, only a generel agreed category with no real limits.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 05:46 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I have a cut sheet of 105 you can have if you want to experiment.

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 15:14 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

LordCope wrote:
I have a cut sheet of 105 you can have if you want to experiment.

If you're asking me I say thanks for the offer but for now I have decided to go with a more defensive setup (TSP Millitall II).

PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 08:05 

so_devo wrote:

Nope, it's a mistake. They also classify Agrit (an inverted rubber) as a medium pip. TSP Spectol and Friendship 802 are the 2 rubbers that literally define what a short pip is, there's no fine line with Spectol. Maybe something like 651 is more of a fine line between short and medium pips.

PostPosted: 30 May 2015, 08:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I've used Legend 105 and Spectol 21 Offensive Sponge 2.1 and I can tell you that I prefer TSP Super Spinpips 21 to both of them.

PostPosted: 30 May 2015, 16:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nathanso wrote:
I've used Legend 105 and Spectol 21 Offensive Sponge 2.1 and I can tell you that I prefer TSP Super Spinpips 21 to both of them.

Because of the softer sponge? Slightly slower and slightly better spin, hence better control?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 02:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
TSP Super Spinpips 21 is more accurate and provides more ability to produce spin variation. But accuracy is the main reason.