OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Substitutes?
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 02:01 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Hi everyone! Just found this site, love it.

I play penhold with Haifu Dolphin on fh and Yasaka Mark V on bh. I like playing a more flat driving hit on my fh so I love my Haifu. But I get a lot of "I don't like to play against short pips" from some players. So I'm looking for a cheaper inverted rubber where I can play this same style and get the some of the benefits I usually get from my pips.

I still do top spin/loop sometimes like on deep heavy backspin serves to my fh. So I'm ok with some trade offs. I have a set of Yasaka Mark V M2 max and I'm thinking about setting up a complainer paddle to beat people who make pip excuses for losing against me or not playing me.

Is this a good substitute? Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Substitutes?
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 02:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'm not an SP player but something like Juic Couga might fit the bill you're looking for. Its fast and not highly spinny, like an SP.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 05:39 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Thin sponge, 802-40. (Maybe "clean it) with dashboard cleaner. ;)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 11:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
gus_goose wrote:
I like playing a more flat driving hit on my fh so I love my Haifu. But I get a lot of "I don't like to play against short pips" from some players. So I'm looking for a cheaper inverted rubber where I can play this same style and get the some of the benefits I usually get from my pips.

Although it's entirely your choice, are the complaints enough justification to change from a rubber & style that you enjoy? Complaints usually come from people that don't understand what the rubber does, which really is their problem, not yours. There's nothing wrong with playing with short pimples...lets not forget that short pimples were around before inverted was even invented. ;)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 16:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
@Haggisv....I don't think Gus is intending to stop playing SP. He just wants a bat to mimic SP with inverted to show complainers it doesn't matter whether he has SP or inverted, he can still play well with either. In other words, shut them up with his game ;) :lol:

Hookshot, 802-40 is still SP :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 20:21 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Personally I love this idea :lol:

I carry a double inverted bat at all times to play against those who complain about the LPs. I'm not bad considering it's a totally different style of play (positioning and tactics-wise) and half a set of different strokes!

You'd probably be best off with getting something that is spin-insensitive. Your best bet might even be an old, rubbish second hand rubber. It would almost act like anti-spin.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 00:37 
Super User

Thanks everyone. Got some good suggestions. Dunc I see your back-up bat is Tenergy on both sides, that's great. I think it's ironic that most of the people that complain are Tenergy players. One guy told told me with no self-awareness, that "regular" players win with skill while pips players win with rubber. I thought yeah is that why my entire set-up cost less than one sheet of the rubber you're using. People are funny.

I've thought about Tenergy but it's just too expensive for me. I think I'll just go with something cheap and just learn a new stroke or two.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 12:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Tenergy is at the other end of the scale anyway... high throw and very sensitive to spin, the opposite of short pimples.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 19:10 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Yep I definitely wouldn't recommend Tenergy for your style of play. I've got a naturally spinny backhand loop (every end I play at the moment I use a LP serve -> backhand loop 3rd ball attack similar to Ruwen Filus) so Tenergy is cool for me. If I had a flatter backhand style though I definitely wouldn't use Tenergy, it's very spinny and therefore spin-sensitive. If you want to "punch" and really take the spin off the ball with inverted, having something as grippy as Tenergy will make that a lot more difficult.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 23:10 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I think Reb nailed it well with the Juic Couga. Perhaps even faster than the Dolphin.

My first thought for this question was the DHS Dipper, but I'm not sure whether it was the Dipper 3 or just Dipper I tried and got the "SP feel". I'm sure Dipper 2 was more elastic or perhaps just softer sponge, so not quite what you're asking for. Then again, I just tried for a couple of minutes and I don't recall the blade it was on, so perhaps take this with a grain of salt...

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2015, 09:14 
Super User

Thanks for the equipment suggestions.

I also have a more general question for SP players. I take lessons but have only ever learned the SP FH stroke since I started with SP from the beginning. I never learned the proper inverted FH strokes. Recently, I've been practicing more of a loop-type stroke for deep under-spun balls to my FH. My question is what is the difference between a standard SP FH stroke and an inverted FH stroke. From my understanding, a SP stroke is the same as an inverted driving FH stroke. The difference being that with inverted I wouldn't be able to pull that stroke off on heavy backspin balls, especially short ones unless I do a different stroke like a flip.

Is that right on or am I missing something with regards to the standard short pip forehand stroke?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2015, 13:16 

Since you changing from SP to inverted, maybe you want to try some "flatter" bounce rubber like Sword Nano or Yinhe Moon Speed. Personally, I would recommend Sword Nano, but it looks like Sword change their sponge formula, and I don't like the new one. I believe old sponge (bright dark purple) is less bouncy than the new one (light purple).

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2015, 11:35 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
729 Highpoint 1.3 mm to 1.8 mm
Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta 1.4 mm to 1.9 wm
729 Focus 3 Snipe 1.4 mm to 1.9 mm for cheaper alternatives

Good to great speed and low spin. Not for brushlooper. :)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2015, 21:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

See all the posts about treating long pips with sunlight, UV, etc.. This makes them hard and slick. I suspect the same thing would happen if you did it with inverted... Get a cheap $4 or $5 sheet (Reactor Corbor, 729 XL, Yinhe 9000) and leave it out in the sun for a few days (when it doesn't rain). :lol:

Iskandar