OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 03:52 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've been very happily using Dr Evil as my main FH weapon (and sometimes BH, after a twiddle) on my Andro Hiloom. I flat hit and block, mostly, and occasionally push and chop. I find it provides excellent feel and control, and is not very sensitive to spin.

My hiloom is getting a bit bashed from constant use, and I saw a great offer online which has allowed me to get another. So I'll be sticking another Spinlord DG on one side, and likely Dr Evil on the other, as I'm very happy with my current setup.

However, my curiosity is aroused... I wonder if I might try a thin-sponged SP, perhaps Spinlord Waran (1.5), or something else.

What do you think? What would I gain and lose from such a move? And what SP rubbers could I consider?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 04:18 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Quick bump on this...

Lars @ Japsko suggests trying Dr Evil with 0,6mm sponge, which seems like a very interesting idea. In his view this will offer more attacking possibilities with no real downsides.

I'm tempted.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 17:36 

I have no experience with sponged Dr. Evil but personally don't like that idea (it was developed to use in OX only, many reviews say that Dr. Evil becomes harmless with sponge).
By moving to SPs you'll lose in deception and breaking effect but you'll gain in attacking potential and spin. In other words you'll be able to attack more but your opponents will return more your attacks also.
My suggestion would be to get inexpensive topsheet of chinese short pips and separate thin sponge. In this case you'll be able to heal your curiosity thoroughly :) :
- try current Dr Evil with sponge
- try short pips in OX
- try short pips with sponge

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2016, 00:48 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Did you ever try the sponged Evil?

I glued a 1.0 sponge to Dr. Evil and I liked it. I thought it was almost completely insensitive to incoming spin and even had some spin reversal when using LP-type strokes. I thought it was great for pushing just too slow for me.

My only issue with it was with added spin, especially for serving. Felt like the spin added was inconsistent no matter how consistent my technique was.

What were your thought on Dr. Evil? How does it work for your FH drive style?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2016, 00:54 
LP Collector
LP Collector

gus_goose wrote:
Did you ever try the sponged Evil?

I didn't.

Quote:
What were your thought on Dr. Evil? How does it work for your FH drive style?

I really enjoyed using Dr Evil. I liked its feedback, and I liked that I could attack most balls without much worrying about the spin. However, its main drawback for me is also its benefit: I can't generate spin with it, which means I struggle to impart a lot of spin on a serve, I can't generate spin against a no-spin shot, and I can't load up the ball with spin for an opener or attacking shot. If you want to play a hitting and blocking game, though, I think it's superb.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 05:32 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Whatever thickness the sponge you want to put behind Dr Evil,

Put into account that You can put generous backspin from the opponent loop, comparable to a Tackiness Chop 2.

That means, chopper may cant choose fast sponge, like Tulpe, cause, fast ball + generous backspin, and the ball land on next adjacent table. :)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 01:30 

Imho if you are intrigued by short pips for chop, push and flat hit, you should give to spinlord waran or degu a try.
I play as a chopper with degu 2.0 mm on my fh (but also on my bh when I twiddle) and I don't want stop playing table tennis with this rubber. It's just fun and effective on pushes and chops and for flat hit it is just explosive.
It gives me more control for chopping with a slow or fast movement, more than every single inverted thinner rubber I tried, and the backspin is still there. I lost in brush looping, I gain in powerful flat drive.
I have tried 802-40 that is known as THE spinny short pips, I tried it on two defensive blades, but I came back to degu which is softer, more control, more feeling (imho).
I haven't tried waran but I think is such a joy to play rubber.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2016, 21:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sponge thickness makes a huge difference, I tried Spinlord Waran in 2.0 and had no feel, but I love Armstrong Attack 3 and I used to use it in thin sponge (less than 1.0) and it behaved great.

It is a soft pip, unlike Dr. Evil or Waran. Another option is Pluto which had a lot of control and more reversal than Attack 3. If you want something harder, there is also Attack 8.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 22:15 
LP Collector
LP Collector

It's interesting to find this post from the beginning of December. I went ahead and order some 2.0mm Waran (Red), and set up a second bat with Dornenglanz on the other side. However, I became distracted in the New Year, and moved to inverted on my FH and sponged LP on my BH. I then decided to try SP on the BH with inverted on the FH before reverting to my previous state, of SP FH LP BH.

I haven't used the Dr Evil setup at all, having decided to pursue sponge, and have tried the Waran, Degu and Keiler from Spinlord, all of which I liked very much, in subtly different ways.

I'm currently trying out 651 in 1.8mm, and have a bunch of others to try when the time is right (802, 802-40, Spectol, Dragonow, 652, 889-2, 105 Legend). Most of these I tried on my BH, settling upon Spectol, but FH is very different indeed.

I mostly hit with my FH, but will lift against chop/push, with the aim of hitting as soon as I can, and I will block against topspin.

All very interesting!

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 20:19 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Just as an update on this, as I saw the link, and was reminded of it.

I'm currently using Degu 2.0 (as recommended by CelestialBoy), and loving it. His description of how it compares to 802-40 is spot on. I also quite like Spectol Max for my FH, but Degu is a joy to use.

I used 651 for about 5 months. It's great - perfect for hitting and blocking, and pretty good for chopping. But it does force you to play SP shots. You can't play inverted-like shots and get away with it. It's also not terribly spinny for service. I changed to Degu to get a bit more spin, and for a more forgiving FH, and it's working out quite well so far.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 09:41 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
How would anyone who's played with both compare Waran and Degu for chopping, hitting, looping, serving, blocking, etc.?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 15:36 
LP Collector
LP Collector

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
How would anyone who's played with both compare Waran and Degu for chopping, hitting, looping, serving, blocking, etc.?

I've used both. Waran is a little faster, and has a slightly firmer sponge, but they're similar. I like the softer sponge as it feels as if I have more feeling. I don't particularly like either for chopping (in 2.0mm), but for everything else, very good. Blocking I slightly prefer Degu; Looping I slightly prefer Waran.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 04:06 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Thanks, that's helpful. Will probably stick with Waran, which I like a lot, especially for attacking both with and without spin.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2016, 04:56 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
LordCope wrote:
I haven't used the Dr Evil setup at all, having decided to pursue sponge, and have tried the Waran, Degu and Keiler from Spinlord, all of which I liked very much, in subtly different ways.

How did the Keiler compare to the other two rubbers from Spinlord? I have used it but not the other 2 and was wondering how much difference there was between the three of them.

Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2016, 06:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

1dennistt wrote:

How did the Keiler compare to the other two rubbers from Spinlord? I have used it but not the other 2 and was wondering how much difference there was between the three of them.

Thanks

Felt more like a MP - closer to 563 or 105 legend in feel. More disturbance and reversal. It was so-so.