OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 03:16 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Isn't that faster on one side than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 05:50 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I don't think it is.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 05:53 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Bulldog wrote:
I don't think it is.

Hmm ok. My dad has one and I seem to remember one side being carbon and the other being Kevlar.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 09:22 
Super User

You may be right. I don't have detailed knowledge about the blade. I would put the pips on what I regard as being the backhand side of the blade and for me the blade is quite quick.

Post subject: Blade for short pimple?
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 10:02 

I think 802-40 stopped being ittv approved. Also that rubber is mostly forhand rubber. Do you use it for forhand? For backhand I used to have stiga clippa and tsp Spectol 21

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 21:32 

Blade: Tibhar E. Lebesson
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
meltinpot wrote:
I think 802-40 stopped being ittv approved.

:^)
Found no info 'bout it.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2017, 21:35 
LP Collector
LP Collector

http://www.old.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/ ... &textile=&

802-40 is absolutely fine.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 02:21 
Super User

I hoped so as I have a sheet on order for my backhand. I need to be able to flick pushes and block topspin with a variety of chop block, block and punch blocks.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 04:01 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Bulldog wrote:
I hoped so as I have a sheet on order for my backhand. I need to be able to flick pushes and block topspin with a variety of chop block, block and punch blocks.

So you're replacing LP with SP on your backhand? 802-40 is pretty responsive to spin, is my only concern. It's a great rubber, but has very little "effect", and you'll need very quickly to get used to compensating for spin much more than you do now.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 05:46 
Super User

I agree. I won't start until the end of the season. My footwork is deteriorating and I am struggling to run round my backhand to get my forehand into play. My long pip shots appear to have been emasculated by golf elbow and the impact of the new ball.

I need some spin to enable me to play attacking shots from the backhand wing but hope that the short pips will assist me to return spin services and cause some disruption on blocks.

I have had real problems for some time now with no spin balls. Even at a relatively low level players are learning how to cause difficulty for LP players by taking spin and pace off their shots.I have had my worst season for a long time.

Bulldog

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 11:17 

LordCope wrote:
http://www.old.ittf.com/ittf_equipment/Racket_coverings_details.asp?ID=16917&s_Brand=&s_Company=FRIENDSHIP&s_List_No=29+&s_Type=&textile=&

802-40 is absolutely fine.

It is not fine, it says out!! Check again the description in the link!!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 11:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Bulldog wrote:
I agree. I won't start until the end of the season. My footwork is deteriorating and I am struggling to run round my backhand to get my forehand into play. My long pip shots appear to have been emasculated by golf elbow and the impact of the new ball.

I need some spin to enable me to play attacking shots from the backhand wing but hope that the short pips will assist me to return spin services and cause some disruption on blocks.

I have had real problems for some time now with no spin balls. Even at a relatively low level players are learning how to cause difficulty for LP players by taking spin and pace off their shots.I have had my worst season for a long time.

Bulldog

As a thought - perhaps trying a more grippy LP with some sponge would be an option too? People keep bringing up FLIII as something you can almost loop with, so may be worth a shot.

I think these handle no spin/low pace shots better.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 13:37 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Quote:
It is not fine, it says out!! Check again the description in the link

That simply means pimples out.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 14:00 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Bulldog wrote:

Bulldog

You sound like you're in the same place I was last year. I was using a range of LP, including FL3, but coming unstuck against players taking spin and pace off their shots and keeping it on my BH.

At the time my primary response was to twiddle and attack with inverted, but this was risky and error-prone.

I decided to try SP on my BH with the same reasoning as you.

It solved the no spin problem. I won a lot of points with a BH hit/attack. However it introduced other problems - specifically with service return. Having played for a long time with LP my service return needed a lot of work, and went from a part of my game that I found reliable or even an advantage to a weakness overnight.

I also found chopping with SP on the BH was more difficult, and less tolerant of poor footwork. I basically stopped trying to chop at all.

My results dipped significantly. Against better players I struggled more. Against weaker players I lost some LP cheap points, and had to work much harder. People I used to beat quite easily, I lost to closely.

I'm sure if I had persevered, I'd have learned different strategies, and SP suited my attacking side. However, I went back to LP and put in work on my footwork and fitness, and that's paid off. I'm now playing two divisions higher, and having some good wins.

If you're struggling with footwork, your main option against a no/low spin shot will be to twiddle. Personally I think you'll get faster results by training that extensively, than by having to learn what is effectively a completely new set of strokes and strategies.

I agree with pgpg that FL3 could work. I wasn't brave enough before, but I do recall that you could attack very well with it, and treat it almost like a SP. Have a look at some Tetyana Bilenko games. She attacks with FL3 when there's a weak ball. Could get some good ideas there.

Very best of luck. I know you're having a frustrating season, and I feel for you.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2017, 14:17 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Bulldog wrote:
Even at a relatively low level players are learning how to cause difficulty for LP players by taking spin and pace off their shots.

I think it's a bit like an arms race. LP players had an "advantage" for a while, because many opponents couldn't understand what to do, and made silly mistakes.

Now the combination of better understanding, together with the move to a slower, less spinny ball, has tipped the scales in the other direction.

I've responded by working very hard on FH attacks against slow/no/low spin balls into my Bh, and it's starting to bear fruit.

I played several decent players yesterday who very much have been trying this tactic, and beat them all comprehensively by being assertive in this way. They stopped trying to play these kind of balls and put the ball back on my Fh.

If you can learn to attack players using these tactics, you'll be back on top.

At a higher level LP play is almost entirely about accuracy and placement and control. Strong players will expose your inability to generate spin, and feed off that. There are no free points, and from service return onwards you need to be thinking about where to put the ball to dictate the shape of the point. If you don't or can't do that, you won't win the point.

Anyway enough blather from me. SP could work for you, but I would expect your results to go down before they recover, and they might not recover to a higher point than you are now. But you might have fun and learn a lot from the experience.

Finally, is your footwork something that you can improve? Or are there medical / physical reasons that mean this isn't an avenue worth pursuing?