OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Blade for short pimple?
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 16:53 

Hi all

I am looking for a new blade for short pimple backhand. I am currently using STIGA clipper CR but this blade is around 5 years old so i thought of switching.

I prefer to play speed and spin on my backhand. I am currently using Legend 105 38degree 1.9mm.

Legend 105 is classified as a medium pimple on the packaging, but its characteristic is more towards short pimple. Have plans to change to an actual short pips

I was told to play on hard blade. But due to my lack of knowledge of blades, I do not know what kind of blades there are out there.

I've tried browsing the forum and didn't find the result I want. My apologies for reposting if something similar is being posted. Thanks !

Apologies for my poor english !

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 00:18 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
On the ICC webpage for US Nat'l team member Zheng Jaiqi, and SP player, it lists Stiga Sense 7.6 as her blade. She plays pips on her FH so don't know if that makes a difference. Even though it has carbon the Sense is rated as very stiff so might be good if that's what you are looking for.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 02:22 
Super User

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blade/dhs-pf4-08.html

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 06:40 

What SP are you planning to switch to?
My suggestion would be to stick with Clipper CR and don't change your blade unless it's damaged. BTW Zhan Jian (short pips FH) uses such a blade.
From my experience with Chinese short pimples and Legend 105 the latter needs harder blade comparing to traditional short pips. So if you was happy with Clipper CR+Legend 105- there is no need to go with harder blade.
You wrote that you prefer speed and spin on your BH. Keep in mind that harder blade will affect spin. And Clipper CR can provide you with enough speed.
Also don't forget that you'll use the same blade for FH ;)

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 21:29 

Thanks all for your kind reply.

I had forgotten to mention that I'm a shakehander.

I'm not really satisfied with my current legend 105. It plays like a traditional classic pips than more like inverted. Previously I had tried it on other's blade before and it felt differently, like a inverted rubber. I assumed that it was because of my blade.

As I mentioned that I have plans to change my pips. I've a few choices. Clippa, T-original and Moristo.

But I'll be ordering a sheet of Moristo 2.0 red to see whether it can achieve the *feel* I want.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 22:08 

Hi guys,

I've decided to change blade but I've no idea which blade to choose. I've looking at Milkway's blade .

Here are some choices:
k4
k6
m5
m6
v14

Anyone has any other suggestion?

I've tried digging the forum and net and no reviews for these blade for short pimple. Just wondering can anyone give me some opinions?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 22:48 

M5 and M6 will be similar to Clipper. BTW there are newer versions of Milkyway's "clippers" in newer U-series (U-3, U-1).
K and V series are similar, mainly ALC blades. It seems that V series is a newer series and replacement of K series.
If you'd like to try hard blade - choose any with koto outer ply and\or rather thick and\or with fibre close to the outer plies.

But I'd double my suggestion to stick with Clipper :)

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 23:00 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Alx wrote:

i'd triple that! :up:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 23:13 

Alx wrote:
M5 and M6 will be similar to Clipper. BTW there are newer versions of Milkyway's "clippers" in newer U-series (U-3, U-1).
K and V series are similar, mainly ALC blades. It seems that V series is a newer series and replacement of K series.
If you'd like to try hard blade - choose any with koto outer ply and\or rather thick and\or with fibre close to the outer plies.

Thank you for your kind reply.

The reason I'm planning to change it's because is 5 years old, my coach and friends also told me to get a new blade.

Do you mind sharing with me what's the difference for carbon and pure wood blade for short pimple? If I dont like my new blade, I'll just return to my clipper cr.

BTW,apologies to all for my bad english : :oops:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 00:36 

5 years for blade is nothing unless it has some damage, splintered plies etc. You should know the exact reason why do you need to change it. Can you tell it? Do you feel that your blade became erratic? Or you don't like the blade you have? Maybe EJ virus detected? ;)
In general carbon blades have harder feel, allwood blades have better control. As I wrote before from my experience with Chinese short pimples and Legend 105 the latter needs harder blade comparing to traditional chinese short pips. Don't have much experience with japanese and european short pips but I presume that they are softer than chinese ones, so harder blade can be an option.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 00:54 

Alx wrote:
5 years for blade is nothing unless it has some damage, splintered plies etc. You should know the exact reason why do you need to change it. Can you tell it? Do you feel that your blade became erratic? Or you don't like the blade you have? Maybe EJ virus detected? ;)
In general carbon blades have harder feel, allwood blades have better control. As I wrote before from my experience with Chinese short pimples and Legend 105 the latter needs harder blade comparing to traditional chinese short pips. Don't have much experience with japanese and european short pips but I presume that they are softer than chinese ones, so harder blade can be an option.

I see. I think I'll just stick with my current blade. Thanks alot

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 08:24 

Nittaku Septear can be good blade for short pips attacker and blocker ?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 10:52 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Sure. Why ever not?

It's a seven ply wooden blade by an established quality manufacturer, rated OFF.

Sounds like good choice, at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 23:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Septear is 7 ply hinoki, seems a little on the slow side (compared to a N11). Nice for looping but I wonder about short pips. Perhaps a HRT Clipper might be a better choice? Or a N11.. it does have a nice, crisp flat hit.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2017, 09:25 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Just about to get a sheet of 802-40 in 2mm to try out at the end of the season. I have a Stiga Carbokev Wood blade. Would this suit short pimples?

Bulldog