OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 00:57 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Summer league approaches, and as I analyse my games over the last few months, it has become apparent that I almost never chop on my BH. I basically only ever do a kind of dead push shot, to change speed or direction. If I need to attack I sometimes do a punch off the bounce, but more often than not I have to twiddle and attack with inverted.

I'm thinking of giving SP a go on the backhand, with the aim of continuing to block and use angles, but also give me the chance to attack or hit. I used Donic Baxster for my first season, and used Dr Evil for two seasons, so I'm familiar with SP play.

I'm looking for an allround, top quality, reliable SP. Something I can install and forget. Needs plenty of control. I won't be trying to loop with it, and I'll rarely be trying to hit with it. I don't mind paying for a premium brand.

Recommendations I've received are:

- 802-40
- Spinlord Degu

I also have used and like 105 legend, but this is quite similar to 802-40. I'm also wondering about one of the Butterfly SPs - maybe Raystorm, or Flarestorm II.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 03:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Allround blocking/control? Try Butterfly Challenger Attack. Same rubber used by Gao Jun, who does exactly that.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 03:55 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Why not the new SpinLord Keilar? I know it is more like an MP but it plays like a SP according to reviewers.
Othrwise Spectol might be a good option, it can do anything but loop.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 06:02 
LP Collector
LP Collector

So did some testing today with Adam. He gave me a range of drills to do which would emulate all the shots I'd need to play in a match, and i tried with three setups:

- Andro Hiloom + Spinlord Waran
- Andro Hiloom + Dr Evil
- Tibhar Defence Plus + 105 Legend

The Dr Evil was ruled out straight away - even on the fast blade felt very slow, and I needed to put in a lot of effort to produce a fast hit.

The Hiloom + Waran was great... nice and controlled and fast, but maybe a bit too fast, and perhaps a bit too hard.

The Tibhar Defence Plus + 105 Legend had heaps of control, but I think perhaps was held back by the slow blade.

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the Hiloom as a good quality, not too slow blade. I'll stick with Waran on one, and maybe try the Legend on the other, and perhaps order some Keilar, Degu or Challenger.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 09:27 
LP Collector
LP Collector

So the Waran was definitely too fast for me, and actually the Hexer on the otherside was too. I had 2 red sheets of TG3N, so I whacked them on the Hilooms, and needed to find some alternative SPs. Other than Dr Evil, all I had in black was an old sheet of Donic Baxster, but it was pretty tatty and too small for my blade, so I popped round to my old coach's house to see if he had any DHS pips left in the stores. He did, and so I picked up 1.8mm black of:

- Dragonow
- Sharping

I stuck 651 and Dragonow on, to start with, and after a few hours I felt that 651 was much harder to use, and Dragonow was a bit quicker, with more spin. However, after a bit of robot practice, and some more games, I was starting to get the hang of the 651. I had a coaching session on Thursday, and stuck with the 651, and played all day with the 651 yesterday, so I'm now pretty used to it.

I'm hitting through the ball fairly nicely, but getting the timing right is hard. I don't want to mess around too much, but I think it's probably reasonable to do a bit of experimentation. I have a Spectol in 1.5 that so_devo has sent me, and some 802-40 in red, which would necessitate me getting some TG3N in black, but that gives me some more data points.

The 652 is, as far as I can gather, a spinnier 651, with flatter, wider, closer-spaced pips. It looks very similar to the Dragonow, so might play similarly. Other than that, since I seem to be playing a fairly classical SP shot on the BH, I think standard 802 is probably worth a look.

The trouble is I want to curtail the EJ-ing to a degree, as I don't want to waste time or money on an endless hunt for the perfect SP. Any 'traditional' SP I've missed?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 21:32 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
i would advice on spending more time instead of going through them too quickly...

commit to playing with one for a couple of months and then evaluate.

the 802 is kind of standard/traditional/allround sp that you can try to learn to play sp with, something like jack of all trade, all can do good but not best. after getting the feel for it after spending a month or two, then you will know more about which direction you want to go more. either speed, spin, some funkiness, etc.

the spectol is of high regard as well, and it's on its way/you already have it by now anyway. you could pick this one instead and stay for a couple of months.

or if you already kind of getting a good feedback with the 651, just stick with it. save the rest of the rubbers for 2-3 months down the road...

don't buy any more, regardless how cheap or how spectacular XX rubber get recommended.

this goes with blades too... :P :P :P

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 00:06 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
LordCope wrote:
The trouble is I want to curtail the EJ-ing to a degree, as I don't want to waste time or money on an endless hunt for the perfect SP. Any 'traditional' SP I've missed?

Second part contradicts the first :lol:

It's hard to learn strokes, develop your touch and improve your game when you keep changing your equipment. Granted, it's fun in itself, but then you have to accept lower rate of improvement (or complete lack of such). 2-3 months with the same setup at least allows you some level of mastery with it. Strokes with inverted, LP and SP are already quite different, so adding extra variables will just keep things more complex than they should be.

I'm willing to bet your muscle memory is pretty much non-existent right now, since it has very little to 'remember', which means you probably need to think about your stroke as you execute it. Which is very hard to do, if not impossible, if you want to play with any consistency.

P.S. I switched to another setup for a day this past weekend (still a chopping one, LP/Inv) - dropped a level or so right away: poor control on LP side, less effective FH attack.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 08:32 
Super User

if not Challenger Attack,
Dr. Neubauer Leopard

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 20:55 
LP Collector
LP Collector

My parcel of SPs from so_devo has arrived!

- Spectol 1.5 (black)
- Spectol 1.7 (red)
- 802-40 1.8 (red)
- 802-40 2.0 (red)

I've not made any changes for more than a week now - just stuck with 651. I do agree about spending some time with the setup, and not changing too quickly. I also agree about muscle memory. I've packed the spare blade, and SPs away for now, and will make a change after a sensible amount of time with the 651, I think.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 21:05 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
LordCope wrote:
My parcel of SPs from so_devo has arrived!

- Spectol 1.5 (black)
- Spectol 1.7 (red)
- 802-40 1.8 (red)
- 802-40 2.0 (red)

I've not made any changes for more than a week now - just stuck with 651. I do agree about spending some time with the setup, and not changing too quickly. I also agree about muscle memory. I've packed the spare blade, and SPs away for now, and will make a change after a sensible amount of time with the 651, I think.

Sorry for adding things to a long list, but did you try 799? Cheap and not far from Spectol but more effect (in some ways, but not in all ways, just different and similar at the same time).

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 01:42 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
i tried all of the above mentioned sp before in my sp phase :lol: , and come to a conclusion that sp need to be disturbing for the opponent or otherwise makes no sense in having it...

that being said and if you agree with my logic, 802-40 were like i was playing with backsides...full grip like normal rubbers, only with some forward motion in a block i could produce some nasty blocks for my opponent...after that comes spectol, little less grippy but still too much imo, and then 651...

i couldn't play with it because it was so different from backsides i was using, but looking back, that would be my sp of choice today because of its disturbance properties...and if you invest time in mastering it you would have highest return of investment, to put it like that :angel:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 07:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
my son uses dr evil on his b/h and hits.i have tried it and its dead for chopping-i still like it though.
what about yasaka anti power if you push a lot-its pretty fast for an anti.throw angle is low and it kills serves
Spinlord Dornenglanz-lord i couldnt play with that-gave it a go

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 16:31 
LP Collector
LP Collector

For the record, I've settled on 651, which I use on my FH, and have been using it without a change since the start of June. It does everything I need very well. Excellent for hitting, disturbing on blocks, can generate spin on serves, yet sufficiently spin-resistant as to make lifting pushes and chops easier than with inverted.

No interest or desire in changing. The only variable I might consider tweaking in the future would be a little more sponge (I use 1.8 at the moment), for occasions when repeatedly blocking against strong FH loops, but that's a rare use case, and I'm very happy with the current setup, so don't want to introduce any changes.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 21:10 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
if its partially because of my recommendation, i feel honored :rock:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 02:12 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
LordCope wrote:
For the record, I've settled on 651, which I use on my FH, and have been using it without a change since the start of June. It does everything I need very well. Excellent for hitting, disturbing on blocks, can generate spin on serves, yet sufficiently spin-resistant as to make lifting pushes and chops easier than with inverted.

No interest or desire in changing. The only variable I might consider tweaking in the future would be a little more sponge (I use 1.8 at the moment), for occasions when repeatedly blocking against strong FH loops, but that's a rare use case, and I'm very happy with the current setup, so don't want to introduce any changes.

you've grown up a lot :up: 8)