OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 12:04 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

All this talk about the usage of short pips and RITC 802 has led me to purchase and perhaps try using 802 on the BH, H2 on the FH, on a Yasaka Extra 3D frame. I hope to play sometime this week, so I can report my findings and explore my interest further with table tennis and pips.

Great discussion guys. :D

Last edited by Yuzuki on 19 Jun 2008, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 13:22 
Super User

Yuzuki wrote:
All this talk about the usage of short pips and RITC 802 has led me to purchase and perhaps try using 802 on the BH, Globe 999 Nat on the FH, on a Yasaka Extra 3D frame. I hope to play sometime this week, so I can report my findings and explore my interest further with table tennis and pips.

Great discussion guys. :D

Good luck on your short pips foray. Keep in mind the purpose of short pips play and be patient. You might want to try the various 802 versions.

--------------and--------------------
TSP Spinpips 21 - 2.0 mm - FH
TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm - BH
BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 14:59 
Super User

Kees wrote:
A The only reason why modern players like Ma Lin or Wang Liqin use such big gestures when looping is that this wide-swung way of looping generates more and speed and spin - not because they are using their arms more (they do NOT, they use their legs and upper body and let the arm swing because of their body rotation), but because the trajectory of their bat is wider this way, which means the bat has a higher trajectoral speed (wider circle means travelling further in the same time, hence faster).

Interestingly, my coach mentioned a similar concept in serving. He said that the outer edges of the blade travels faster during the swinging serve motion and so one can generate more spin if the ball contacts the edges. One can vary the spin using exactly the same serve stroke my changing where the ball contacts the blade - either towards the center or even closer to your hand.

BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2008, 00:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Amateur 101 wrote:
Quote:
He said that the outer edges of the blade travels faster during the swinging serve motion and so one can generate more spin if the ball contacts the edges.

Try serving clean underspin (slow ball, just behind the net) by grazing the underside of the ball not at six o'clock but just beyond, perfectly and fast, moving your bat in a shallow curve (going down, then up, tilting the bat a bit - as if you are scooping inside a soup-cup), making contact with the ball when coming up with your bat. If you use the centre of the bat you'll get decent spin; if you use the back edge of the bat, you'll get heavy spin.
Use your wrist and do the same, but add rotation to the motion of the bat, and you'll get a ball that kicks (sidespin) when it bounces - if you use the back edge of the bat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2008, 02:21 
Super User

Kees, good point. I recall my coach telling me to hit not just under the ball (6 o clock) but beyond that (upwards) to really have strong backspin.
He showed it to me and they were vicious.

I stopped playing for 5 years (after moving to the US) and all those lessons are slowly coming back.

BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2008, 13:15 
Super User

I just realized there is a top shakehander who sort of punches the short pip backhand - ai fukuhara. I'm not a fan of that shot but i guess it works for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2008, 21:18 

kagin wrote:
I just realized there is a top shakehander who sort of punches the short pip backhand - ai fukuhara. I'm not a fan of that shot but i guess it works for her.

Yeah, but I think she is not the first one... I am ok with that shot, but would like it if it is not used quite so much (she would often return serve on the FH side of table with her BH! LOL... example below of her younger days when she was training in China)...

http://www.megaupload.com/jp/?d=RMFWRM2H

it sort of lacks an element of surprise after too many times... though at that speed and the wide angles she puts it, it can be difficult to return her shot...

PS: BTW, I am not her fan even though I own 2 Fukies... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2008, 03:22 
Super User

kagin wrote:

What kind of pips does Fukuhara use?

BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2008, 11:47 

amateur101 wrote:
What kind of pips does Fukuhara use?

It seems no one can quite figure that out... maybe she has changed it quite a few times... there is doubt even as to what pimple it is (SP, MP or LP)? And she is using Nittaku Acoustic (not any of the Fukie blades)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2008, 16:45 
Super User

Wow, it never occurred to me that she might be using something other than short pips. Well here's a good test for the equipment junkies - identify the rubber based on just part of the mold:

It doesn't look like tsp, butterfly, or nittaku. Maybe more like winning or even donic or xiom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2008, 17:25 

I dun know, but a source was reporting that she was using Armstrong Attack 8 at a recent ITTF Protour.

Heard that she used to use Armstrong Attack 8 M in China...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 07:25 

usagi wrote:
I dun know, but a source was reporting that she was using Armstrong Attack 8 at a recent ITTF Protour.

You are correct Usagi, but she is using these MEDIUM pips now. She has used Flarestorm short pips and she has used RITC 563~

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 08:09 

liXiao wrote:
usagi wrote:

You are correct Usagi, but she is using these MEDIUM pips now. She has used Flarestorm short pips and she has used RITC 563~

Hee hee... LiXiao is the source... I try not to give away who said it in case the source wants to maintain secrecy... So does the photo look like Armstrong Attack 8 M?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 23:46 

Fukuhara is using an acoustic +H3 on the forehand and armstrong attk 8 SP on her backhand i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2008, 15:13 

(Rating only about U.S. low 1300's for reference).

Wow... just went from a Vioncello, Spectol regular and 21 from 1.5mm to 1.8mm, to now using my new setup today of a Clipper with 802 1.5mm 35deg (FH shakehand), and it feels so much better. I wasn't even unhappy with the old setup, just wanted to try a stiff 7-ply good for pips. Anyways, I would imagine some is more the blade (in addition to 802) now but I feel like I can solidly hit through all kinds of stuff I couldn't with the Vion/Spectol.. less susceptible to spin. Its noticably faster and I can shoot rockets that I wouldn't go for before yet control is great if not even a little better (hence why I have the option). Blocking feels solid too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next