OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 22:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 17:40 

hello, has any one tried both of the rubber before? which is spinner? i know 802-40 is pretty spinny, just which to find out which one is better for spinning and serving.
thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 23:14 

I've never played the Dagonov so far, but the 802-40 is my favorit short-pimple of all. I played it in 2.0 an 2.2 and it is a ROCKET. Whenever your timing for a shot is right you can just turn around and prepare for the next serve.

I tried quite a few short-pimples (802, 802-1, Spectol, Clippa, etc. ) ... but nun of the others could come close to the 802-40 when it comes to SPIN !

It's definitly worth to give it a SHOT ;-)

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi | FH: Andro Hexer Duro 2.1mm| BH: D.Tecs Ox

Always testing:

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense Carbon | FH: Butterfly Tenergy 64 1.7mm| BH: D.Tecs OX
Blade: Yinhe Speer | FH: Donic Akkadi Taichi 2.0mm| BH: D.Tecs Ox
Blade: Yinhe Speer | FH: Friendship SP Transcend 2.0mm| BH: D.Tecs Ox

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 20:29 

I've tried both and dragonow is nothing compared to 802-40. It is very unstable. But 802-40 is very decent, and worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 17:28 
Super User

802-40 for sure. In league with butterfly raystorm and tango ultra. Creates inverted type spin
Dragonow, not too spinny from what I hear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 12:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If you are looking for spin, go with 802-40, or Raystorm. The Chinese rubber is half the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 14:46 

Blade: Alligator Combi
FH: Blufire JP01 Turbo
BH: Donic Spike P2 0X
Baal wrote:
If you are looking for spin, go with 802-40, or Raystorm. The Chinese rubber is half the price.

a bit OT... I have always used Clippa and Raystorm, how would I compare an 802-40 speedwise against them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 14:47 

Blade: Alligator Combi
FH: Blufire JP01 Turbo
BH: Donic Spike P2 0X
Baal wrote:

a bit OT... I have always used Clippa and Raystorm, how would I compare an 802-40 speedwise against them?

I got caught by my EJ syndrome again and have at least 8 rubbers come early January.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 14:54 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I never liked the -40, it plays close to normal rubbers, comes over too normal for me,

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 02:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

802-40 is slightly faster, slightly lower throw than Raystorm, but I think one could easily switch from one to the other and after a few days adjustment not notice much. (This assumes you get the 802-40 with the softest sponge). Another SP cut from the same cloth is Hammond FA from Nittaku, which is quite spinny, very much like 802-40. I have never tried Clippa, but from what other people say, I suspect it is quite similar to these. Metal Monkey, you would probably find all of these to be pretty "normal". On certainly gets a more disturbing ball with things like Spectol or 802, which are much less spinny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 21:58 

802-40 is not good rubber. Too sensitive to spin. Dragonow is much, much better with great control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 22:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Strategist wrote:
802-40 is not good rubber. Too sensitive to spin. Dragonow is much, much better with great control.

Hmm, I've been using 651 and like it. Alex is sending me another thinner sheet and some 652. Maybe I need to try Dragonow sometime. I like the yellow Double Happiness sponge, soft, but dense and quite fast.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 17:55 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Friendship/RITC/729 (packet) says:

High Speed. Supports Aggressive Style. Special 35deg Pro Sponge. Powerful Conical Shaped Pips.

Give your opponent no opportunity to play their game. 802-40 gives the ability to attack pushes and service that traditional rubbers cannot. Maximize your attack off the bounce. Crush your opponents "best shots".

1. The reviewer: Intermediate level, inverted FH, short pips BH. Loop/hit. Only ten months worth of SP play. Played 802-40 on an Avalox P700.

2. Physical Properties: Red, 2.3mm custom Dawei soft sponge, 30 degrees. Grippy, textured, and wide pip surface. The red color is a bit pale.

3. Speed:
- Speed on slow strokes: low-medium
- Speed on power loops: medium/medium-fast
- Speed on power drives/smashes: medium-fast/fast

4. Spin:
- Spin on a loop: not as much as inverted, but certainly more than enough to cause errors for the unwary. Can be thought of as being able to loop near table.
- Spin on serves/pushes: excellent for a short pip. Especially when using a high toss serve.

5. Control: being soft sponged, ball feel is good, especially paired up with a harder blade. Taking off pace is OK, the soft sponge helps. Control over spin is a little more difficult than traditional hard short pips, as the topsheet is quite grippy and the sponge delaying the ball rebound. Speed goes up linearly with the use of the sponge.

6. Other Playing properties: Throw angle is medium, with respect to Butterfly Raystorm (high) and RITC 799/DHS 652 (low-medium). Just a bit higher than RITC 802, TSP Spectol, and Tyranno (medium). A notch or three higher than RITC 563 (low). The overall feel of rubber is soft, yet crisp on hits. Plays similar to some inverted rubbers.

Because of the topsheet and sponge, balls blocked and hit with 802-40 tend to have quite a bit of spin similar to inverted. The pips scrub off some spin, but usually not enough to force errors. Repetitive blocking could catch the unwary looper, however. Hitting through high loops is relatively easy as the pips allow one to use the incoming topspin well, instead of being 'tricky' and giving back underspin after a hard hit.

7. Reference: RITC (802, 799, 563, Dr. Evil), Butterfly (Raystorm, Impartial, Challenger Attack), TSP (Spectol, Tyranno)

8. Other comments: "It's like playing with (inverted) rubber!". Not tricky. The manufacturer sponge (35deg. Reactor soft sponge, not the Dawei soft sponge used by the reviewer) is just a tad harder than the Dawei soft sponge, and is more resilient/springy, therefore, makes 802-40 a bit faster than mentioned in the review, but the characteristics remain similar. It is also one of the most recommended short pip rubbers to inverted players wanting to play with short pips.

9. Why buy?: For one, it is very cheap with a good quality sponge. Power hitting/smashing with this is a bit easier than traditional short pips because of the grip -- easier to produce just enough topspin to make the ball land on the table, especially for shakehand players. People looking for a lower throw and grip than Raystorm, but would like to retain the soft rubber feeling, should try this rubber.

Last edited by Yuzuki on 29 May 2009, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 18:20 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
dragonow is the fastest of the mentioned sp. cant remember how spinny it was in comparison to the others though... didnt like the 802-40 at all, very "numb" feeling.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 00:37 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

AA wrote:
didnt like the 802-40 at all, very "numb" feeling.

Might it be due to the soft sponge -- I tried some hard sponges and short pips, very crisp hitting and blocking feel, but I found them difficult to play with because I could not generate some topspin to help bring the ball down the table after hitting.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 02:31 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
So today, purely because I was asked to spend ten minutes at the start of each session trying out a different SP on the same blade, just to learn about and confirm my happiness with my current setup, I whacked my red 802-40 1.8 on my spare setup.

I've never been a big fan of 802-40 - it's just never done anything for me at all. I preferred regular 802. I've been using Dragonow for a while now, and have been very happy with it. Nothing else I have tried has felt as crisp, controlled, and positive.

I tried the 802-40 this afternoon. What a shock. It felt amazing. Very slightly faster than the Dragonow - the ball seemed to travel faster and was more penetrative, and perhaps a little lower/flatter in trajectory. Opening topspins had considerably more kick than the Dragonow. Pushing serves, or twiddling and pushing with the BH was lovely - lots of feel. Twiddling to the BH to drive/hit was also very pleasing.

I did go back to the Dragonow for a bit, but was itching to go back to the 802-40, and did so. Played extremely well, and really liked how it felt. Could be a surprise replacement!