OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 04:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 06:31 

Yeah, you're probably right about the 0.2 not being a big deal.. I notice a huge difference between P1r 1.0mm range and 1.5 range but I doubt I'd notice if a sheet of P1r 1.0~1.3 came in on the thick side. I guess for a sheet of SP there'd only be a huge difference if a sheet of 1.4~1.7 came in on the thin side and a 1.7~1.9 sheet came in thick. However, I think I figured out why I hated the Spectol so much, and it wasn't the sponge thickness. Turns out the guy who lent me the sheet had boosted the hell out of it (5 layers over a period of time), and then forgot about it by the time he gave it to me. Explains the mushiness and lack of feel

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 06:43 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
Yeah, you're probably right about the 0.2 not being a big deal.. I notice a huge difference between P1r 1.0mm range and 1.5 range but I doubt I'd notice if a sheet of P1r 1.0~1.3 came in on the thick side. I guess for a sheet of SP there'd only be a huge difference if a sheet of 1.4~1.7 came in on the thin side and a 1.7~1.9 sheet came in thick. However, I think I figured out why I hated the Spectol so much, and it wasn't the sponge thickness. Turns out the guy who lent me the sheet had boosted the hell out of it (5 layers over a period of time), and then forgot about it by the time he gave it to me. Explains the mushiness and lack of feel

That'll do it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 15:23 

Oh and who are some of the female SP choppers out there? I've mostly only followed the LP choppers in the women's game.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 16:13 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
Oh and who are some of the female SP choppers out there? I've mostly only followed the LP choppers in the women's game.

Wu Yang? :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 16:54 
Super User

Han Ying with Spectol 1.5

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 00:03 

Those are the only two I already know! Thanks though, I'll watch them.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 08:44 
Super User

leatherback wrote:
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
Alright, you seem to know, I'll take your word for it. He sure makes it look easy to use.. Guess he just has vastly better technique than Muramatsu.. often when Yuto is out of position his chops go wild off the table or into the net, and even when in position he has to take a hard cut at the ball to keep it on the table. Hou has amazing control and can take the pace off of hard drives effortlessly. Guess I'll keep using him as an example of how to play.

And about sponge thickness, I never said he didn't use 1.8, I'm sure he does. But sponge thickness +/- definitely matters to people, how could it not? Otherwise, every SP chopper would just throw max sponge on their blade and call it a day.

Edit: and regarding dampening sponges, they aren't exactly new. Butterfly Feint Soft has been around for ages.. and lots of choppers favor dampening sponge. Koji Matsushita switched to Feint Long 3 when it came out, Shiono uses P4, Filus uses FL 3, Muramatsu uses SSPC2

Oh THAT kind of dampening sponge....I thought you meant the kind that comes on the back of some pips like Dragon talon or next chaos....the super soft white sponge on the back of the rubbers you mentioned have been around for a while. Yes you are correct.

Also there is a difference between 1.0 and 2.0 sponge. But few people in the world can notice a .2 difference. In fact some sponge manufacturers can even provide that much quality control on their spice thickness...that's why tsp gives you the sponge thickness in a range (.2mm) range.

You are right about Hou and yuto looking totally different as well. I could be wrong but I also thing it's because his utilizes side spin and no spin much more giving him more options.

If you want to check our awesome short pip chopping technique check out the top girl choppers.

looking for dampening sponge that sold separately from the rubber.

the closest I could find is BLutenkirsche Japan, which around Tackiness 2 rebound speed.

Looking for something slower. :D

Dear Grill,

You can also try different sponge like Tuple (rock hard) to see how they play. :D

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 08:44 
Super User

leatherback wrote:
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
Alright, you seem to know, I'll take your word for it. He sure makes it look easy to use.. Guess he just has vastly better technique than Muramatsu.. often when Yuto is out of position his chops go wild off the table or into the net, and even when in position he has to take a hard cut at the ball to keep it on the table. Hou has amazing control and can take the pace off of hard drives effortlessly. Guess I'll keep using him as an example of how to play.

And about sponge thickness, I never said he didn't use 1.8, I'm sure he does. But sponge thickness +/- definitely matters to people, how could it not? Otherwise, every SP chopper would just throw max sponge on their blade and call it a day.

Edit: and regarding dampening sponges, they aren't exactly new. Butterfly Feint Soft has been around for ages.. and lots of choppers favor dampening sponge. Koji Matsushita switched to Feint Long 3 when it came out, Shiono uses P4, Filus uses FL 3, Muramatsu uses SSPC2

Oh THAT kind of dampening sponge....I thought you meant the kind that comes on the back of some pips like Dragon talon or next chaos....the super soft white sponge on the back of the rubbers you mentioned have been around for a while. Yes you are correct.

Also there is a difference between 1.0 and 2.0 sponge. But few people in the world can notice a .2 difference. In fact some sponge manufacturers can even provide that much quality control on their spice thickness...that's why tsp gives you the sponge thickness in a range (.2mm) range.

You are right about Hou and yuto looking totally different as well. I could be wrong but I also thing it's because his utilizes side spin and no spin much more giving him more options.

If you want to check our awesome short pip chopping technique check out the top girl choppers.

the closest I could find is BLutenkirsche Japan, which around Tackiness 2 rebound speed.

Dear Grill,

You can also try different sponge like Tuple (rock hard) to see how they play. :D

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 13:58 

BeGo wrote:

Dear Grill,

Cole from colestt.com has "Air Zero Sponge" which is meant to totally suck the pace off of any shot, if you're looking for the slowest possible sponge. However, I think that is more of the dampening sponge you'd find under anti or select LP, like leatherback was talking about, that really just makes ultra slow dead balls. Sponges like that don't "bite" quite enough to generate heavy underspin with pips.

Aside from that, I don't know enough about all the vendors out there to know who has a good chopping dampening sponge sold separately, something like Bty FL3 or TSP Curl P4. If I could find it, I'd buy it and put it under 802.
In the meantime, I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on a sheet of Spectol in 1.5mm and a sheet of Superspinpips Chop 2, cause I have the budget for it, and they seem to work for a lot of people.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 21:59 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
BeGo wrote:

Dear Grill,

Cole from colestt.com has "Air Zero Sponge" which is meant to totally suck the pace off of any shot, if you're looking for the slowest possible sponge. However, I think that is more of the dampening sponge you'd find under anti or select LP, like leatherback was talking about, that really just makes ultra slow dead balls. Sponges like that don't "bite" quite enough to generate heavy underspin with pips.

Aside from that, I don't know enough about all the vendors out there to know who has a good chopping dampening sponge sold separately, something like Bty FL3 or TSP Curl P4. If I could find it, I'd buy it and put it under 802.
In the meantime, I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on a sheet of Spectol in 1.5mm and a sheet of Superspinpips Chop 2, cause I have the budget for it, and they seem to work for a lot of people.

Chop 2 has the same sponge as p4

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 17:50 

leatherback wrote:
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
BeGo wrote:

Dear Grill,

Chop 2 has the same sponge as p4

Yeah, that's why I was thinking of getting it. I've tried P4, and I really liked the sponge for controlled chops. Only thing is they don't sell their sponges separately, so I'll have to actually buy the rubbers..

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 12:41 
Super User

Blade: Primorac Carbon ST
FH: Tibhar Hybrid MK Pro 2.0
BH: Tibhar Hybrid MK 2.0
Hey guys,
I am probably too late to the party but soft of hard sponge for SP chopping is something I had to decide myself when I switched to SP Modern Defense.

For reference, I am above 2000 USATT level and played with both inverted before switching.

I tried a lot of different sponges and topsheets....

SP chopping isn't easy but it feels very natural if one comes from inverted.
I tried a bunch of LP and was never able to be consistent and the lack of spin input on the ball was a deal breaker for me.

I came to few conclusions about SP chopping:
1) Harder and deader sponges help as they slow down the ball (less bounce) but they affect the ability to put spin
2) Grippy topsheets are not really an advantage. They are just too sensitive to spin to be consistent

I tested 802, 802-40, 799, TSP (SSC2, SSC, Super Spinpips, Spectol, Spectol Speed), etc.....
in thickness from 0.5 to 1.8-2.0mm.

The best compromise for me has been Spectol in 1.4-1.7 (and Spectol Speed to some degree) because of its ability to put spin without being too sensitive to incoming.

Medium Soft sponge allows to do sidespin chops and mixing it up well between underspin and dead balls.
It also helps with attacks, block and pushes at the table.

1.0mm helps with chopping but 1.5mm is a much better compromise for chopping, blocking and attacking.

Hope that helps...

In black playing a 2100+ player: https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA