OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 18:10 

Hey,

i play modern defense, and have used TSP P1-r in 1.0mm for a couple years now, with great results. I never felt a need to change, as I was getting really heavy spin on chops, good consistency, and good ability to push and pick hit close to the table. Thing is I've noticed that ever since the plastic ball came around, I can't get quite enough backspin on heavy loops, and can't make enough spin on dead balls to consistently prevent attackers from driving the ball. I've been thinking about switching to SP chopping so that I have more control over the spin, and the only two I'm considering are TSP Superspinpips Chop, or SSP chop 2 (I have a lot of faith in TSP pips and wouldn't use anything else).
The v1 of SSP chop supposedly has a very hard sponge (similar to P1r?), and the v2 supposedly has a very soft, dead sponge (like P4 or Feint Long III?). I know I like a harder sponge under LP, because the soft and grippy pips provide enough of a braking effect, but I have no idea how this would translate into short pip chopping, given that the pips can't bend (I assume). Can anyone with any amount of SP chopping experience give me some input?

Also, does the sponge need to be thicker with SP because of less dwell time? I've really only been considering 1mm, but I may go as high as 1.5mm if I have to. I haven't tried the SSP 1 or 2, so I can't exactly imagine how they would play, and I definitely don't want to buy both rubbers in both thicknesses and end up having 3 out of 4 sitting in my bookshelf, so any advice would be awesome. Thanks guys

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 18:40 

Blade: OSP Imune Pushblocker
FH: Yasaka Rakza Z
BH: DrNeubauer TroubleMaker
I've just tested a SSP chop 2 with 0,5mm to replace my Curl P4 0,5mm (so same sponge and thickness) and I can say 0,5mm with SP is not enough.

I will give a try with a Tibhar Speedy Soft in 1mm thaht a friend will give me.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 18:54 

Derf59 wrote:
I've just tested a SSP chop 2 with 0,5mm to replace my Curl P4 0,5mm (so same sponge and thickness) and I can say 0,5mm with SP is not enough.

Thanks for the input! Personally I'd never go lower than 1mm sponge thickness for any rubber though, Not enough dwell time or spin for effective chopping, pushing, or hitting.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 17:06 

Blade: OSP Imune Pushblocker
FH: Yasaka Rakza Z
BH: DrNeubauer TroubleMaker
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
Derf59 wrote:

Thanks for the input! Personally I'd never go lower than 1mm sponge thickness for any rubber though, Not enough dwell time or spin for effective chopping, pushing, or hitting.

Before I use long pimples in 0x it's why I don't use a lot of Sponge with C Ball. Perhaps with P Ball i will upgrade the thickness.

I've also tested Curl P4 in 0x, 0,5 et 1mm and due to his very very soft sponge, in 1mm I've no feeling and no speed at all LOL

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 08:47 

Derf59 wrote:
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
Derf59 wrote:

Before I use long pimples in 0x it's why I don't use a lot of Sponge with C Ball. Perhaps with P Ball i will upgrade the thickness.

I've also tested Curl P4 in 0x, 0,5 et 1mm and due to his very very soft sponge, in 1mm I've no feeling and no speed at all LOL

The feeling or lack of feeling is also dependent on how stiff/flexy and hard/soft the blade is, I use a fairly stiff hard blade (JSH) so I get very crisp feedback even with thicker soft sponge. Flexy soft blades like Defplay are used by lots of choppers but I personally don't like that feel, especially on forehand loops.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 13:33 

Not a lot of SP choppers on the forum I'm guessing. Go figure! I'll probably just try SSPC2 on a 1.0-1.3mm sponge and see if that works for me.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 13:38 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:
Not a lot of SP choppers on the forum I'm guessing. Go figure! I'll probably just try SSPC2 on a 1.0-1.3mm sponge and see if that works for me.

I believe that leatherback uses 1.5 Tsp Superspinpips on his BH for chopping; im not sure what version of SSP he is using though.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 14:35 

Danthespearton wrote:
grilledtomatoes86 wrote:

I believe that leatherback uses 1.5 Tsp Superspinpips on his BH for chopping; im not sure what version of SSP he is using though.

Hmm, I just sent him a PM. We'll see! Pretty sure he just uses the regular sponge for BH.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 11:55 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I would also take note to grilledtomatoes advice on blades as well. Blades are a factor on the sponge you should use.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 14:06 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Danthespearton wrote:

I have a memory of Letherback saying something like, that with SP chopping you need 3 hours training a day to get right feeling and touch, so it's not just equipment change from LP to SP, but also movement to much more demanding equipment.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 14:23 

Roy wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

I have a memory of Letherback saying something like, that with SP chopping you need 3 hours training a day to get right feeling and touch, so it's not just equipment change from LP to SP, but also movement to much more demanding equipment.

I agree that it's more demanding, but I'm young (college), am athletic, and can chop with inverted, and use sponged grippy LP as it is, so I'm not worried. It's not quite the same deal as someone who chopped with Dtecs ox trying to switch to SP chopping. I don't subscribe to the belief that X equipment requires Y amount of hours per day for every person, that's silly. And anyway, I play a lot.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 05:34 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Going from a LP to a SP is a big change. I tried it myself and gave up very quick. I can chop with inverted and LP, but I never got the hang of chopping with SP. It's a totally different animal.
Besides, i think Leatherback isn't using SP anymore (but he can still give advise about it).

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 05:46 

Lorre wrote:
Going from a LP to a SP is a big change. I tried it myself and gave up very quick. I can chop with inverted and LP, but I never got the hang of chopping with SP. It's a totally different animal.
Besides, i think Leatherback isn't using SP anymore (but he can still give advise about it).

Yeah, I asked him via PM, he gave me a couple tips.

And thanks everyone for your concern, but I am going to at least try short pips either way.. the thread is not about asking people how hard or scary short pip chopping is, it's about asking what sponges people generally prefer under their short pips.

So to future commenters.. Yes I understand everyone finds chopping with short pips extremely difficult! Thank you!

Still welcoming comments about experiences chopping with different SPs/sponge-types

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 20:58 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Well, the best I chopped with was 802 with the soft 35° orange sponge underneath it.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 00:36 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Nicest SP chopping rubber I've used was standard Spectol in 1.5mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!