OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Nittaku Beautry review
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 04:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Anyone here tried Nittaku Beautry short pips? I'm looking for a faster alternative to TSP Super Spinpips 21 Offense.

Post subject: Re: Nittaku Beautry
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 09:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Seems like nobody here is using this SP so I decided to buy it and try it for myself. I purchased the "Super Thick" 2.0mm version in black from Paddle Palace, one of the few retailers that appears to be stocking it. $44.95 per sheet so this is no cheap pip!

I measured it and added it to the Rubber Mass Database but here's the entry for convenience:
Brand: Nittaku
Rubber ID/Model: Beautry
Thickness (max or in mm): Super Thick 2.0
Colour: Black
Uncut Mass(g): 51.0g
Length(mm): 179*
Width(mm): 167

*Not a typo.. this is a tall sheet!

The rubber appears to be of high quality with a thin, shiny base sheet and a dense, springy sponge. The pips are low and wide-spaced with conical bases (I'll add an image later). Yet it's surprisingly light which is excellent for players like me who like to keep paddle weight down and hand speed up (my paddle with the Beautry weighs 153g with OX LP on the backhand).

For reference, the blade I'm using is a recent BBC design called the Ghost which was purpose-made for pips. I think it's a 7-ply blade with two nano carbon layers but I'll need to verify this with Charlie. I'd rate its speed as offensive (OFF) and what's unique about it is its low tone (high dwell) on the bare blade bounce test despite having excellent speed and power. Previous to the Beautry this blade had a sheet of TSP Super Spinpips 21 Offense 1.9-2.1mm black, which was too slow for the plastic ball, resulting in blocks and passive shots being easily attacked by my opponents. This has stopped happening with the Beautry.

For background, I've used the following SP rubbers on my forehand in recent years: TSP Super Spinpips 21 Offense, TSP Spectol 21 Offense, 729 Legend 105, Doublefish 820A, GuoQiu SUPERSONIC(Japan Sponge), Sanwei Ghost, Globe 889-2 (Japan Sponge), and a slew of DHS SPs. I've found that SPs generally disappoint me for one of two reasons: They either can't hit the ball with consistent placement, and/or they can't lift the ball on a forehand topspin stroke. And more recently with the 40+ plastic ball, they're just too slow to be competitive using the techniques I employ.

I played with the Beautry at my local club for the first time last night in a 3h open play session where I played four matches against two different players, as well as a lot of practice and drills. I won 3-0, 3-0 against a ~1500 rated player, and 3-1, 3-1 against a ~1850 player that I typically lose 4 out of 5 matches to. My club rating is ~1750, and I'm told our club's rankings are ~100 under the equivalent US ratings.

Here are my impressions of Beautry in play:

1. Fast rubber. The kind of fast that has your opponent catching the passing ball with their free hand. The kind of fast where your opponent is seemingly frozen in place as a kill shot screams by. This I like. I don't think I came close to this rubber's top end so I'm thinking that a 1.8mm (or even 1.4mm) might be more effective to give even more control and (hopefully) some sink effect. See below. For reference, it's faster than all the SPs I listed above with only thick 820A coming close. A recent Beautry victim at my club commented that my SP kill shots were "faster than Tenergy".

2. Yes, it can spin! Beautry is able to lift the ball on forehand topspin drives but not quite to the extent that Super Spinpips 21 Offense can, i.e. the window opening is smaller. This took some adjusting to in the early going, but I eventually got the hang of it enough that I was incorporating a few FH topspins into my matches. One of my favorite shots is a backhand flick that I twiddle to Seemiller grip to perform, i.e. using the Beautry on backhand. I use this when the ball is short and at or slightly below net height. It's almost like a modern banana flick (but I was doing it long before bananas made the elite TT circuit). In any event, not all inverted rubbers can perform this stroke. It requires a soft, very spinny rubber with a very tight arc ("long trajectory" rubbers need not apply).. yet Beautry can do it (albeit without much margin for error). And it does it with blinding speed. This I like a lot. One of the reasons I bother with SP at all is that I get points off of serve, either from opponents missing the ball entirely, or by them putting up a weak return. Since my club adopted the plastic ball my inverted serves really lost effectiveness once the powdery coating wears off a new 40+ ball, which happens after just a few games. Spinny SPs like Super Spinpips and Beautry, in my experience, impart more difficult to return service spin than inverted rubbers for the technique that I use.

3. No, it has no sink effect. Sadly, Beautry 2.0mm had no discernible sink effect on flat-hit balls. Maybe the thinner sponged versions do? Hopefully someone with $45 burning a hole in their pocket can find out and post their findings here. A player on noppen-test.de was raving about his 1.8mm Beautry but the German-to-English translation was somewhat lacking. He did mention wanting to try 1.4mm which tells you something..

4. Wow, can it block! I'm a blocker/pick-hitter by trade so a rubber's insensitivity to incoming spin is critical (as is its speed). Beautry's ratio of spin making to spin resistance is excellent; far better than Super Spinpips 21 Offense which, for me, pops up incoming loops with alarming regularity. Beautry wasn't entirely immune to this, but blocked balls were on a lower and more controllable flight path. And faster. So much faster.

5. Control. This is where Beautry shines. For a rubber with so much speed you'd think its control would suck. But it doesn't. I was able to place the ball pretty much at will, which combined with its speed made for some pretty amusing back and forth dashing from my opponents last night.

Highly recommended for the 40+ plastic ball. Perhaps the best spinny SP on the market.

Attachment:
IMG_20161109_183413.jpg
IMG_20161109_183413.jpg [ 481.39 KiB | Viewed 5181 times ]

Post subject: Re: Nittaku Beautry
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 15:25 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
Seems like nobody here is using this SP so I decided to buy it and try it for myself. I purchased the "Super Thick" 2.0mm version in black from Paddle Palace, one of the few retailers that appears to be stocking it. $44.95 per sheet so this is no cheap pip!

I measured it and added it to the Rubber Mass Database but here's the entry for convenience:
Brand: Nittaku
Rubber ID/Model: Beautry
Thickness (max or in mm): Super Thick 2.0
Colour: Black
Uncut Mass(g): 51.0g
Length(mm): 179*
Width(mm): 167

*Not a typo.. this is a tall sheet!

The rubber appears to be of high quality with a thin, shiny base sheet and a dense, springy sponge. The pips are low and wide-spaced with conical bases (I'll add an image later). Yet it's surprisingly light which is excellent for players like me who like to keep paddle weight down and hand speed up (my paddle with the Beautry weighs 153g with OX LP on the backhand).

For reference, the blade I'm using is a recent BBC design called the Ghost which was purpose-made for pips. I think it's a 7-ply blade with two nano carbon layers but I'll need to verify this with Charlie. I'd rate its speed as offensive (OFF) and what's unique about it is its low tone (high dwell) on the bare blade bounce test despite having excellent speed and power. Previous to the Beautry this blade had a sheet of TSP Super Spinpips 21 Offense 1.9-2.1mm black, which was too slow for the plastic ball, resulting in blocks and passive shots being easily attacked by my opponents. This has stopped happening with the Beautry.

For background, I've used the following SP rubbers on my forehand in recent years: TSP Super Spinpips 21 Offense, TSP Spectol 21 Offense, 729 Legend 105, Doublefish 820A, GuoQiu SUPERSONIC(Japan Sponge), Sanwei Ghost, Globe 889-2 (Japan Sponge), and a slew of DHS SPs. I've found that SPs generally disappoint me for one of two reasons: They either can't hit the ball with consistent placement, and/or they can't lift the ball on a forehand topspin stroke. And more recently with the 40+ plastic ball, they're just too slow to be competitive using the techniques I employ.

I played with the Beautry at my local club for the first time last night in a 3h open play session where I played four matches against two different players, as well as a lot of practice and drills. I won 3-0, 3-0 against a ~1500 rated player, and 3-1, 3-1 against a ~1850 player that I typically lose 4 out of 5 matches to. My club rating is ~1750, and I'm told our club's rankings are ~100 under the equivalent US ratings.

Here are my impressions of Beautry in play:

1. Fast rubber. The kind of fast that has your opponent catching the passing ball with their free hand. The kind of fast where your opponent is seemingly frozen in place as a kill shot screams by. This I like. I don't think I came close to this rubber's top end so I'm thinking that a 1.8mm (or even 1.4mm) might be more effective to give even more control and (hopefully) some sink effect. See below. For reference, it's faster than all the SPs I listed above with only thick 820A coming close. A recent Beautry victim at my club commented that my SP kill shots were "faster than Tenergy".

2. Yes, it can spin! Beautry is able to lift the ball on forehand topspin drives but not quite to the extent that Super Spinpips 21 Offense can, i.e. the window opening is smaller. This took some adjusting to in the early going, but I eventually got the hang of it enough that I was incorporating a few FH topspins into my matches. One of my favorite shots is a backhand flick that I twiddle to Seemiller grip to perform, i.e. using the Beautry on backhand. I use this when the ball is short and at or slightly below net height. It's almost like a modern banana flick (but I was doing it long before bananas made the elite TT circuit). In any event, not all inverted rubbers can perform this stroke. It requires a soft, very spinny rubber with a very tight arc ("long trajectory" rubbers need not apply).. yet Beautry can do it (albeit without much margin for error). And it does it with blinding speed. This I like a lot. One of the reasons I bother with SP at all is that I get points off of serve, either from opponents missing the ball entirely, or by them putting up a weak return. Since my club adopted the plastic ball my inverted serves really lost effectiveness once the powdery coating wears off a new 40+ ball, which happens after just a few games. Spinny SPs like Super Spinpips and Beautry, in my experience, impart more difficult to return service spin than inverted rubbers for the technique that I use.

3. No, it has no sink effect. Sadly, Beautry 2.0mm had no discernible sink effect on flat-hit balls. Maybe the thinner sponged versions do? Hopefully someone with $45 burning a hole in their pocket can find out and post their findings here. A player on noppen-test.de was raving about his 1.8mm Beautry but the German-to-English translation was somewhat lacking. He did mention wanting to try 1.4mm which tells you something..

4. Wow, can it block! I'm a blocker/pick-hitter by trade so a rubber's insensitivity to incoming spin is critical (as is its speed). Beautry's ratio of spin making to spin resistance is excellent; far better than Super Spinpips 21 Offense which, for me, pops up incoming loops with alarming regularity. Beautry wasn't entirely immune to this, but blocked balls were on a lower and more controllable flight path. And faster. So much faster.

5. Control. This is where Beautry shines. For a rubber with so much speed you'd think its control would suck. But it doesn't. I was able to place the ball pretty much at will, which combined with its speed made for some pretty amusing back and forth dashing from my opponents last night.

Highly recommended for the 40+ plastic ball. Perhaps the best spinny SP on the market.

Attachment:
IMG_20161109_183413.jpg

beautry is like clippa with less sink or blowfish normal not plus

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2018, 08:29 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Our (german) review of the Beautry: https://youtu.be/w2Qi1VEfyg4