OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 09:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 15:03 
Super User

Shoebox9 wrote:
I have a video of Australia's best SP Male player (plays SP both sides) in an over 40's national final against a double inverted player who is smart enough to play very conservatively against him. Lots of pushing and short-short, and chop.

It's so interesting. You wonder how is this a national final? But this same player has torn up some of our top 10 open players when they loop at him like normal. It's the cost of being better than inverted at just 1 or 2 things.

can you post the link of double sp player? i think he.s a guy who plays with zava

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 17:24 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Sorry, I had a search on Youtube but the video is no longer listed. I don't have an account to re-upload the copy I have.
Here is the same guy (Sharad Pundit) a couple of years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uYpdMiQMSA
When watching keep in mind his opponent won the World TT Junior Championships in mixed doubles in 2005 (one of the few times the Chinese didn't win this).

BTW:
The simple answer to the OP's title: Beautry. I have not tried it, but according to the reviews is faster than Waran, has more spin than Waran, and is yet offers great control for smashing and blocking.

Why is it not the perfect answer? The pips are vertical not horizontal and it has a medium sponge. This means the extra spin is from actual brutal pip grip, not from a soft sponge and horizontal pip arrangement. This formula means it will be more predictable and offer less spin disruption than Waran. :|

My perfect pip is good at opening because of soft sponge & horizontal pips (that create more spin as you drag the pips up over the back of the ball) but the individual pip design, and rubber type, do NOT grip the ball very much so flat hitting causes spin disruption and a flat ball path. Yes, smashing suffers due to soft sponge, but if I can open well AND still create disruption with flat hits, this much spin variation makes me very happy 8)

Hexer + cut for horizontal pips was the best answer I could find 3+ years ago. It creates some nice spin and is disruptive to hit with, but it is not as good as Waran for smash. If I was happy to live with less spin disruption I would test Beautry.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 00:32 
Super User

Shoebox9 wrote:
Sorry, I had a search on Youtube but the video is no longer listed. I don't have an account to re-upload the copy I have.
Here is the same guy (Sharad Pundit) a couple of years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uYpdMiQMSA
When watching keep in mind his opponent won the World TT Junior Championships in mixed doubles in 2005 (one of the few times the Chinese didn't win this).

BTW:
The simple answer to the OP's title: Beautry. I have not tried it, but according to the reviews is faster than Waran, has more spin than Waran, and is yet offers great control for smashing and blocking.

Why is it not the perfect answer? The pips are vertical not horizontal and it has a medium sponge. This means the extra spin is from actual brutal pip grip, not from a soft sponge and horizontal pip arrangement. This formula means it will be more predictable and offer less spin disruption than Waran. :|

My perfect pip is good at opening because of soft sponge & horizontal pips (that create more spin as you drag the pips up over the back of the ball) but the individual pip design, and rubber type, do NOT grip the ball very much so flat hitting causes spin disruption and a flat ball path. Yes, smashing suffers due to soft sponge, but if I can open well AND still create disruption with flat hits, this much spin variation makes me very happy 8)

Hexer + cut for horizontal pips was the best answer I could find 3+ years ago. It creates some nice spin and is disruptive to hit with, but it is not as good as Waran for smash. If I was happy to live with less spin disruption I would test Beautry.

beautry has less spin than waran but gives dangerous balls with good control

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 06:00 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
bbkon wrote:
beautry has less spin than waran but gives dangerous balls with good control

Agreed. Having played with both, Beautry definitely has less spin, and Waran is also a bit faster, but Beautry is far more linear and reliable in blocking and smashing. Waran is a bit more in the direction of an inverted rubber.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2021, 00:22 

Blade: Nittaku ANV WN
FH: DHS 652 1,8 red
BH: Yinhe Pluto 1,0 black
I dig out this old thread. It´s very boring at home, we still can´t play cause of Corona.
But I´m interested what SP the thread-opener now plays. Waran II would be an option.