OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 05:03 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
All, I am going to commit a mortal sin and ask a question I'm sure has been asked a million times. I have searched, but I would like some direct responses.

I am completely new to the world of SP attacking. This is going to be for a backup setup, as I just want to experiment. (Main setup is for chopping).

My question...I envision a style of blocking, touch play, and hitting.... my understanding is soft raw pips are grippier? And cooked pips are slicker but slower? I read the stickied post from Kentyu which is very nice, but I'm still confused.

So, for blocking and touch play...is there a choice that still hits well?

This will go on a Joola Rossi Emotion (Off/OFF-) but I am open to getting a clipper clone or something like that.

Since this will be for an experimental bat that I will not use that often, I would like it to be under 30 bucks...under 20 if possible.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 07:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Basically all SP hit well. Touch play in my experience tends to be a function of the sponge softness and the blade, and you just need to experiment to see what feels best. There are lots of cheap chinese pips around, and they're all good, and mostly pretty similar. For the game you describe, I would steer you more towards something like Spectol, Degu, or Baxster, but these aren't very cheap (Degu is the cheapest).

You might like 105 Legend - that's soft, blocks nicely, and hits well. But you might prefer something harder, in which case one of the 802 family could work for you.

I have dozens of SPs that I would gladly send you if you want to try some.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 16:34 

Blade: Tibhar E. Lebesson
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
My main settup is also chopping. And I've also made experimental bat for sp fh atk. I use 802-40 on clipper cr blade for a week and I'm happy. Great block, great drive. And it's cheap. :)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 01:42 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
LordCope wrote:
Basically all SP hit well. Touch play in my experience tends to be a function of the sponge softness and the blade, and you just need to experiment to see what feels best. There are lots of cheap chinese pips around, and they're all good, and mostly pretty similar. For the game you describe, I would steer you more towards something like Spectol, Degu, or Baxster, but these aren't very cheap (Degu is the cheapest).

You might like 105 Legend - that's soft, blocks nicely, and hits well. But you might prefer something harder, in which case one of the 802 family could work for you.

Wow, that would be nice!!!

I don't want to put you out on the shipping. What's it cost to ship a few rubbers to the US?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2017, 04:26 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
LordCope wrote:

Hello LC
I am new to short pips on the bh. And have started with 802.40 on TSP all-round to fast balsa blades

I find the 802.40 1.5mm black is about right for speed and spin but lacks touch. Tried 2.0mm but far to bouncy on push serve returns.

Would degu 1.8 be an option or perhaps degu II 1.5mm which has a slower harder sponge. I need the rubber to be spinny and quite linear and not bouncy or mushy to help compensate for balsa blades being not very linear. I.e play like a classic rather than tensor inverted rubber.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2017, 07:51 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I like Butterfly Challenger Attack 1.5mm for that style but not on a blade with a thick balsa core as it becomes a bit too bouncy for me. You won't get it new for that price but maybe pick up a sheet second hand. I'm still use SP's that are years and years old and don't find much degradation in feel or performance, certainly not like I do with inverted.