OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: spectol red
PostPosted: 13 May 2017, 04:31 
Super User

suds79 wrote:
Maybe you missed it in my post there. I was playing with 802-40 which is a more spiny pip.

Spectol absolute is a more classic hitting not as spiny pip for sure. The size of the pips are significantly smaller than 802-40 or even 802.

I kinda liked the spectol Red sponge. That baby had all the speed one could ever want. But I really did not like that topsheet. All that speed with that low of spin just make it too hard to control for me.

I've since gone back to what I'm more comfortable with which is 802-40 on a non-tuned 35 deg sponge in 1.8 and am playing better ever since then.

My local supplier only offers 802-40 in 1.8 or max which seems a little odd for me. Ideally i was looking for 2.0 but opted for the 1.8. I might try the max sometime. I don't know yet.

But the 802 & 802-40 topsheets are my personal favorites for short pip topsheets. Just perfect IMO.

who sells 1.8 sponge ?

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 05:23 
Super User

bbkon wrote:
suds79 wrote:
Maybe you missed it in my post there. I was playing with 802-40 which is a more spiny pip.

Spectol absolute is a more classic hitting not as spiny pip for sure. The size of the pips are significantly smaller than 802-40 or even 802.

I kinda liked the spectol Red sponge. That baby had all the speed one could ever want. But I really did not like that topsheet. All that speed with that low of spin just make it too hard to control for me.

I've since gone back to what I'm more comfortable with which is 802-40 on a non-tuned 35 deg sponge in 1.8 and am playing better ever since then.

My local supplier only offers 802-40 in 1.8 or max which seems a little odd for me. Ideally i was looking for 2.0 but opted for the 1.8. I might try the max sometime. I don't know yet.

But the 802 & 802-40 topsheets are my personal favorites for short pip topsheets. Just perfect IMO.

who sells 1.8 sponge ?

zeropong.com , megaspin.net both american suppliers

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 16:25 
Super User

suds79 wrote:

you gotta find a good sponge to pair it with 802. I want to know what are using now the players who speed glued tthe 802.

It seems that blue has more control ann plays more linear than red but blue wear faster. any penholder with blue?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 00:58 
Super User

dariowai wrote:
i do use tsp spectol 21 in my bh.great blocking rubber (also regular spectol). 802 is slow for my play,802-40 is better spinnier and faster but i have trouble to find it with good and hard sponge

hi dario how is spectol.21 compared to normal spectol with plastic ball? and why do you use flarestorm1? what benefits?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 22:25 

Blade: Ma Lin or Falck Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx 1.9mm
BH: Spinlord Kieler 1.8mm
Anyone else trying Spectol Red still?

I have been using it on and off but consistently for 3 months.
I agree it is a classic pip and very good for hitting.

My thought might be if you want a short pimple to be spinny you might as well use inverted.

Spectol Red causes spinny players problems IMO.

Great for hitting and attacking spin.
Not great on serves, not great on pushes compared to Victas 102 or waran

but when I try Victas 102 it just does not seem any different to inverted in a match situation, my results are worse (I am not as used to it)

I am shake-hand player and use it on backhand mostly 90% of the time!

I personally think Spectol Red has been the best short pimple I have used in blocking and it works fantastically v long pimple players (as most SP do)
After watching Mima Ito play in Sweden I have realised you have to attack, attack and then attack even more with the Spectol to get anything out of it!!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 04:19 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
What thickness do you use.

Is it any good in defensive play e.g blocking short, chop blocks close to table and traditional chops away from table all of which the original Spectol
was good at.

I have found Waran is quite difficult to control blocks against hard loops i.e take pace off as in the thinner 1.5 sponge it bottoms out easily and the thicker sponges when new are too fast, is spectol red any different.

Good review of Spectol red here. http://blog.tabletennis11.com/tsp-spectol-red-review

The blue version being a little firmer may make pushing easier.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2019, 20:08 

1.8mm I would say it is only suitable for attacking, blocks are solid with it, but I think if you are more defensive there would be better things to try. It is not great for chopping.
I would say its a hittting through spin and pretty much an offensive attacking short pimple.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 20:37 

The Spectol Red feels a lot better on a stiff carbon blade (Yinhe M202). So much better for hitting and blocking.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 22:22 
Super User

MOG1111 wrote:
The Spectol Red feels a lot better on a stiff carbon blade (Yinhe M202). So much better for hitting and blocking.

Back to the dark side? :rofl:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2019, 22:38 

I only played a couple of matches at a tournament with reversed both sides. I prefer the short pimples TBH. Just need to work on keeping that bh above the table at the start of the shot a bit more. Now its paired with Hurricane 3 Neo on forehand it seems more troublesome for opponent.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2019, 23:32 

Two weeks on and I am still using the Spectol Red on YINHE M202 with Hurricane on fh.

I do not know whether it is the spinny Hurricane effect but I seem to have found a blade and combination that I feel really pleased with.
I am getting good spin and serves from Hurricane and good flat hits and contrast from Spectol Red on bh.

Whenever I tried this combination on 7 pl or 5 ply wood I could never get the Hurricane to go fast enough.
On this blade it is spinny and fast often giving me put away balls for the short pimples.

An end to EJing finally!!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 07:52 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
MOG111,

Does this mean that you can update your equipment listing on this site now that it won't ever be changing again?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 17:32 

:oops:

Yes I believe it does!

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 18:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
MOG1111 wrote:
:oops:

Yes I believe it does!

We'll remember this, and quote you when required. 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2019, 22:50 
Super User

I saw you just changed your blade from M202 to Donic Waldner?

It's OK it be an EJ, no shame in it. No need to hide.