OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 07:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For those who haven't seen it yet.. there's a balsa blade thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29900#p317728

And it covers much of the same ground as the last few posts.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 10:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I just tried Spinpips Red 2.0-2.1mm, and while it's faster than 1.8-2.0mm, the consensus was that it's "too much like inverted" with no sink, and no effect. Blocking was less spin-resistant when compared to 1.8-2.0mm. Now I'm interested in trying the 1.4-1.7mm..

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 05:45 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I have just ordered the Spinpips Red in 1.8 Black to go on the backhand of a TSP Balsa 5.5. Evolution ELP 1.9 on the forehand. Switching to SPs on the advice of many.
Bulldog.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 08:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Bulldog wrote:
I have just ordered the Spinpips Red in 1.8 Black to go on the backhand of a TSP Balsa 5.5. Evolution ELP 1.9 on the forehand. Switching to SPs on the advice of many.
Bulldog.

Balsa and SP don't match well in my experience. You want a stiff, hard 5- or 7-ply wood or wood+carbon blade.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:19 
Super User

The blade contains fibreglass to stiffen it. I used a similar blade with great success with long pips some years ago so was happy to take the advice given.
Bulldo

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 16:20 
Super User

The blade contains fibreglass to stiffen it. I used a similar blade with great success with long pips some years ago so was happy to take the advice given.
Bulldog

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2017, 00:35 
Super User

Two hour session on Sunday. The Spinpips red is a very playable rubber. Blocked topspin with ease. Weeks of practice to come before I make a judgement on it. The TSP Balsa blade was superb. I wish I had tried one years ago!

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 07:16 
Super User

Press ganged into playing a league match against last season's Division 1 winners. We won Division 2 last season. Last time I played in this league in Division 1 we finished second and I was pretty highly ranked. That was with the old ball and with a sheet of old Grass D TecS.
I would have been more than competitive with these three, two of whom I beat in that season.
I played quite well with the forehand tonight but was patchy with the pips. Much more sensitive to spin than I am used to. I am struggling to push backspin and have to get rid of my long pip block.
I need to watch a short pip blocker on video.
Any ideas?
Bulldog.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 00:54 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
Here's the first installment of my review on TSP Spinpips RED 1.9mm short pips.

I've now used TSP Spinpips RED (1.9mm black) for three sessions at my local TT club, testing it on various blades and against two other short pips: TSP Super Spinpips 21 Offensive Sponge 1.9-2.1, and Nittaku Beautry 2.0mm. In one test I put TSP Spinpips RED on one side and Super Spinpips 21 Offensive Sponge on the other side of the same blade. This clearly demonstrated that Spinpips RED was crisper feeling and 30-40% faster (in my estimation) than the old version. My training partner that night commented that with the old version he had ample time to respond but with the new version he was rushed.

Both Spinpips blocked equally well, easily disarming incoming topspin and allowing precise placement on the return. As for generating spin, the new Spinpips RED seemed to generate more spin than the old version, particularly on serve. It was common for opponents to have difficulty with service return when I was using Spinpips RED, due both to the increased speed and also increased spin. Spinpips RED can really get the ball jumping off the second bounce on serve.

For delivering topspin drives, Spinpips RED can generate decent spin but it's nowhere close to what inverted can generated, as expected. Spinpips RED proved to be very consistent when delivering topspin balls and was thus easy to rally corner-to-corner with inverted players who appreciated (needed?) its topspin to have some bite to the ball they were counter-hitting. Throw angle was noticeably higher than from my Nittaku Beautry, probably due to TSP Spinpips RED's horizontal pips vs Beautry's vertical pips. One player who was very familiar with my play with Beautry commented that Spinpips RED was too much like inverted and didn't pose much of a challenge to return, at least while I was hitting topspin drives.

Compared to 802-40 (max, black) Spinpips RED is faster and more consistent. Really no comparison between these two!

Flat-hitting with Spinpips RED was excellent. The SP was able to deliver very fast, very accurate balls time after time. I'd put it on par with Beautry in this regard, and Beautry is the best I've used to date.

I can't chop with SP so I didn't try, though this probably isn't the best SP for chopping.

At this point I'm not sure if I'll drop Beautry for Spinpips RED. Spinpips RED offers more range for varying spin, and its spin on serve is a real weapon. But it doesn't generate nearly as many hit-into-the-table errors as Beautry does with its less spinny but equally fast drives. More testing is needed, and I'll post back where when I've learned more.

nathan would you say that beautry returns are not so easy to handle? can you be more precise?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 01:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bbkon wrote:
nathan would you say that beautry returns are not so easy to handle? can you be more precise?

Beautry is faster than Spinpips RED and significantly lower throw and less spinny. As such, Beautry drives are lower and slidier and opponents tend to hit them into the net (or even into their side of the table) more often.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 05:54 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
bbkon wrote:

Beautry is faster than Spinpips RED and significantly lower throw and less spinny. As such, Beautry drives are lower and slidier and opponents tend to hit them into the net (or even into their side of the table) more often.

flatter than moristo or 802 waran?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 08:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bbkon wrote:
flatter than moristo or 802 waran?

I've never tried Moristo. Beautry drives flatter than 802-40 and, perhaps, a tad flatter than Waran.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 10:01 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
bbkon wrote:

HI nathan is spinpips red more spin resistant than beautry? which one gives more nastier blocks?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 23:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bbkon wrote:
HI nathan is spinpips red more spin resistant than beautry? which one gives more nastier blocks?
It's been a long time since I played with Beautry. My recollection is that its blocks are faster than Spinpips RED's but I don't remember how spin resistant it was. Spinpips RED has an uncanny ability to take spin -- but not all the speed -- off the incoming ball when used with a loose, energy-absorbing grip.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 13:41 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
bbkon wrote:
It's been a long time since I played with Beautry. My recollection is that its blocks are faster than Spinpips RED's but I don't remember how spin resistant it was. Spinpips RED has an uncanny ability to take spin -- but not all the speed -- off the incoming ball when used with a loose, energy-absorbing grip.

so it must be hard to loop again and opponents make mistakes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next