OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 02:55 
Super User

I have for years used 802 & 802-40 as my short pips of choice. These come with a stock dead/cheap 35 degree sponge. It's very meh.

The best setup I had at one time was 802-40 custom glued on an Air Super Soft 30 deg sponge in 2.0.

I played with this setup for almost a year when my topsheet started to separate from the custom sponge due to the friction from twiddling. Wanting something with a little more power & modern, I tried TSP Spectol Red which is a tuned 44 deg sponge and Spectol (unkown to me at the time) is about as of a non-spiny classic topsheet as it gets. The sponge was great though. That thing was a rocket. But too controllable. It was a complete failure.

I have since gone back to 802-40 (my favorite topsheet). Unfortunately, my local supplier only has 802-40 on that stock 1.8 sponge. I love the topsheet. But he sponge is just average and a pinch thin IMO. Don't like 1.8. Has to be 2.0 or more.

So i'm looking for a SP with a topsheet similar to 802-40 (ie - grippy, conical preferably and large... basically somewhat more spiny) but with a better sponge.

What should I consider? What do you guys like for this plastic ball era?

- TSP Super Spin pips? (i believe to be similar topsheet but have never hit with it)
- Haifu Dolphin? (tuned. I believe it's a spinier SP but that's all I know about it)
- Butterfly Flairstorm 2? (conical pips at least. Honestly don't know much about them)

If anybody has some thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for this SP for my penhold FH in mainly attacking as I play close to the table.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 12:56 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
Dolphin wasn't spinny enough.

Waran is pretty fast and fairly spinny.

For me I was surprised to find Joola Express Ultra to be the best. It's spinny enough to even have a reasonable loop.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2017, 17:21 

Raystorm is a bit faster and spinnier than 802-40. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but Spinpips Red should be similar spin and much faster than 802-40.

Butterfly Raystorm 2.2
Tibhar EL-S
RL Australis

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017, 05:59 
Super User

jevansau wrote:
Raystorm is a bit faster and spinnier than 802-40. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but Spinpips Red should be similar spin and much faster than 802-40.

Yes thank you.

I discovered spinpips Red about a few days after I created this thread. I'm familiar with spectol red where i loved that punch from the sponge. Just felt the topsheet was a little too classic for my taste.

So basically spinpips red sounds like a perfect fit. That's the rubber I will go next I think when I'm ready to buy.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 02:40 
Super User

jevansau wrote:

is spinpip red better at sink than 802 40 when dealing with loops?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 06:09 

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive
FH: Rakza Xs
BH: Mark V
suds79 wrote:
So i'm looking for a SP with a topsheet similar to 802-40 (ie - grippy, conical preferably and large... basically somewhat more spiny) but with a better sponge.

Have you looked at Elfrark by Yasaka.

I bought some for an old defensive bat (a Yasaka Eagle from the 1970's) mainly for the backhand to see how I liked it. I used to play Feint or C4 pips out on the back hand way back when. I liked C4 better but the fun of the confusion of Feint was enticing. Elfrark was right about between those two, but just to darn slow for me now days. I was paring it with Pryde (just to try the rubber) so that might have impacted my impression of the pips rubber. But even if it didn't work for me I think it meets all your criteria (spiny, conical, short, pips out) so you might give it a look.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 07:08 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
suds79 wrote:
I have for years used 802 & 802-40 as my short pips of choice. These come with a stock dead/cheap 35 degree sponge. It's very meh.

The best setup I had at one time was 802-40 custom glued on an Air Super Soft 30 deg sponge in 2.0.

I played with this setup for almost a year when my topsheet started to separate from the custom sponge due to the friction from twiddling. Wanting something with a little more power & modern, I tried TSP Spectol Red which is a tuned 44 deg sponge and Spectol (unkown to me at the time) is about as of a non-spiny classic topsheet as it gets. The sponge was great though. That thing was a rocket. But too controllable. It was a complete failure.

I have since gone back to 802-40 (my favorite topsheet). Unfortunately, my local supplier only has 802-40 on that stock 1.8 sponge. I love the topsheet. But he sponge is just average and a pinch thin IMO. Don't like 1.8. Has to be 2.0 or more.

- TSP Super Spin pips? (i believe to be similar topsheet but have never hit with it)
- Haifu Dolphin? (tuned. I believe it's a spinier SP but that's all I know about it)
- Butterfly Flairstorm 2? (conical pips at least. Honestly don't know much about them)

I'm looking for this SP for my penhold FH in mainly attacking as I play close to the table.

Thanks.
You could by a sponge, like Kokutaku Tuple or Kokutaku BLutenkirsche, and glue it behind Your old pips. ;)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 15:17 
Super User

Hi Suds,

I think we come from the same place. Also used 802-40 for years, tried different sponges as well and currently using the SP Red. I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with it, on the fence about trying something different. Are you sticking with Red?

Cheers,

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018, 02:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I wonder if any of those sheets designed for the 44mm ball would work. The problem is because of the rules they all come with 1.5mm sponge. I don't think you can get separate topsheets. There are a number of these, look on Nittaku's website.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2018, 08:01 

Stiga Royal nano tech 2.0mm shortpip also have conical pips too.