OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 20:16 

Hello OOAK,
I've briefly introduced myself on a couple topics, but I'd like to reiterate that I'm a two-sided short pips player (previously only backhand); my rating is about 1950 - 2000 USATT , and my aspiration is to be a mere likeness to the greatness of the table tennis world that was Johnny Huang. With this said, I'd like to know if I can contribute to the forum to the best of my ability by providing some honest, sponsor free, in-depth reviews of any of the many of the short pips I've had the pleasure of using over the last few years. Bear in mind that I'm only 26 years old, and have been playing for only 6 years, so my reviews may be taken with a grain of salt (if you are over 2000 USATT).

I propose this topic in the interest of providing useful reviews! If I reviewed every pips out (or pips in, for that matter) rubber that I've used over the last few years, I'd be here until sundown of April Fools of next year, so I'd like to know how I can best make myself useful via your feedback. I'll list the rubbers that I have used, and based on your comments or PMs, will review to length any of the rubbers you'd like to know a thing or two about.

They are as follows:

Short Pips:

Joola Tango Ultra
Joola Express Ultra
RITC/Friendship 802
RITC/Friendship 799
DHS 651
DHS 652
Butterfly Raystorm
Butterfly Flarestorm
DHS Dragonow
DHS Sharping
Andro Blowfish
Andro Hexer Pips
Andro Hexer Pips+
TSP Spectol
TSP Spectol Speed

I'll go ahead and post the same question in the Long pips and Inverted subsections with my lists, given that I've tried more that my wallet can afford. Don't be shy, ask away (there are probably several more that I've tried via clubmates that I wouldn't stake a claim to trying extensively, but could still give you an impression of)

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2014, 16:51 
Super User

I would like to see a comprehensive review of SHARPING. thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 01:12 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Would be nice to see a comparison between two classic (chopping) short pips: 802 vs. Spectol

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 13:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Pipsy wrote:
Would be nice to see a comparison between two classic (chopping) short pips: 802 vs. Spectol

Agree with pipsy, but also add in 799.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 17:22 

Oh I'd love to do 802 vs spectol! Two of my all time favorite Short Pips rubbers. Especially because I dabbled in chopping for a bit, and I found these two to be the greatest all around rubbers for at the table hit/block and for away from the table chop. Unfortunately I'm on ooak with data, my internet has been cut off for the last couple days.. Comcast's customer service leaves something to desire. Anyway, I'll keep this on my mind and give the 2 a thorough review, in an at-the-table context as well as a chopping context.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 17:29 

Quick contrast of 799 vs 802.. simply put, the 802 is better for everything. 799 may be slightly higher in spin (marginally at best), and have a slightly higher throw in blocks (nowhere near unreasonably high), but all around the 802 is truly the perfect all around rubber (in the 35 degree sponge version, at least), hitting through spin better than 799, smashing in more of a perfect straight line than 799, and chopping lower, as well as more easily varying chops than 799.

I'll do a review of 802 vs Spectol at some point soon, but probably won't go much into a 799 review because I've hardly spent any time with it.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2014, 02:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Beta wrote:
Hello OOAK,

They are as follows:

Short Pips:

Joola Tango Ultra
Joola Express Ultra
RITC/Friendship 802
RITC/Friendship 799
DHS 651
DHS 652
Butterfly Raystorm
Butterfly Flarestorm
DHS Dragonow
DHS Sharping
Andro Blowfish
Andro Hexer Pips
Andro Hexer Pips+
TSP Spectol
TSP Spectol Speed

Don't be shy, ask away (there are probably several more that I've tried via clubmates that I wouldn't stake a claim to trying extensively, but could still give you an impression of)

I'd be interested in reviews of Joola Express Ultra, Butterfly Flarestorm, Andro Hexer Pips + and DHS Sharping especially in how they compare with older models from the same companies.

In anticipation of the poly ball, it would be interesting to see if people move to thicker, softer and spinnier pips as they did in compensation for the decreased spin of the 40mm ball.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 19:36 

fazer227 wrote:
I would like to see a comprehensive review of SHARPING. thanks in advance.

Hi Fazer227, Let me get back to you on this one. I used this rubber for 3 months on the backhand, but that was 3 or so years ago, and I used it on a very slow blade that I would never use now, so I don't feel I'd be able to give correct feedback, as according to my current skill level. I know someone at my club who has Sharping, so I'll try to hit with it and get back to you.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 19:55 

agooding2 wrote:
Beta wrote:
Hello OOAK,

They are as follows:

Short Pips:

Joola Tango Ultra
Joola Express Ultra
RITC/Friendship 802
RITC/Friendship 799
DHS 651
DHS 652
Butterfly Raystorm
Butterfly Flarestorm
DHS Dragonow
DHS Sharping
Andro Blowfish
Andro Hexer Pips
Andro Hexer Pips+
TSP Spectol
TSP Spectol Speed

Don't be shy, ask away (there are probably several more that I've tried via clubmates that I wouldn't stake a claim to trying extensively, but could still give you an impression of)

I'd be interested in reviews of Joola Express Ultra, Butterfly Flarestorm, Andro Hexer Pips + and DHS Sharping especially in how they compare with older models from the same companies.

In anticipation of the poly ball, it would be interesting to see if people move to thicker, softer and spinnier pips as they did in compensation for the decreased spin of the 40mm ball.

Interesting; I've used every one of the rubbers you've mentioned with the celluloid and poly ball, and can certainly point you to why or why not the rubbers would be useful for the new ball.

Please view my review in the SP section for my input. I'm only human, and doing one or two comprehensive reviews a day is about all I can manage. I've got the Express Ultra up for review, and I'll attend to the Flarestorm next. (Hexer Pips + I reviewed in contrast to Andro Blowfish, and Sharping I've just mentioned above)

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 23:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Would appreciate Tango Ultra v Raystorm when you can please

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 17:52 

Seeing as someone on the forum pointed out that the idea of me reviewing rubbers I have not used extensively (i.e. for months at a time) would be somehow misleading to people, I've decided to put my reviews on hiatus, with the exception of the ones I've used for months at a time. Feel free to PM me if you'd like my impressions on anything I've listed.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 22:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Beta wrote:
Seeing as someone on the forum pointed out that the idea of me reviewing rubbers I have not used extensively (i.e. for months at a time) would be somehow misleading to people, I've decided to put my reviews on hiatus, with the exception of the ones I've used for months at a time. Feel free to PM me if you'd like my impressions on anything I've listed.

I disagree... I would guess that a large number of our reviews are done by people who've not used the rubbers extensively. As long as you mention that, there is no issue. It's much better to get some information on rubbers than no information at all, so I would encourage you share what you can. If people don't agree, that's fine, it will generate good discussions.
Most people here are friendly enough to allow everyone to have their opinion, even if they don't agree. ;)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 23:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Beta wrote:

I disagree... I would guess that a large number of our reviews are done by people who've not used the rubbers extensively. As long as you mention that, there is no issue. It's much better to get some information on rubbers than no information at all, so I would encourage you share what you can. If people don't agree, that's fine, it will generate good discussions.
Most people here are friendly enough to allow everyone to have their opinion, even if they don't agree. ;)

I agree, as long as you identify how long and under what context you've played with the rubber, then a review will be valuable. A review like the ones I've done with Initial Impressions is good for learning about the strengths and weaknesses of a rubber against those you're more familiar with, while a long term review allows you a fuller idea of the pros and cons of the rubber.

For example, I only did an initial review of the Armstrong Attack 8 as it didn't really suit my game, but I've used Armstrong Attack 3 over the last couple years so now I can compare it under a broader variety of conditions. I know the rubber is great over the table for a quick attack traditional penhold game, but it is not so good at longer distances, especially not with a thin sponge.

Of course, using a short pips rubber on the forehand of a penhold blade will mean I have slightly different requirements than you using it both sides shakehand. For one, I prefer a sponge about 1.3-1.5 mm while you prefer max sponge, so there's a difference right off the bat.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 23:41 

Blade: DHS HK III
FH: Juic 999 Turbo 2.0
BH: Juic 999 Turbo 2.0
+1@haggisv..
I for one appreciate all personal views and perspectives, i guess there needs to be an understanding that people are individuals and what suits one person may not suit another.. Players will always have varying personal opinions on equipment, particularly when there can be variations in quality and consistency of batches of said trialed equipment.
This is what makes for interesting discussion.

Attachment:
IMG_2305.jpeg
IMG_2305.jpeg [ 146.36 KiB | Viewed 3633 times ]

HnG

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 15:49 

Glad to hear everyone's positive feedback (and nice Voltaire quote)! As long as it remains helpful to people, I'll keep on with posting a review of some kind every couple of days.