OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 14:09 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

I tried most of the old school, 802-40, Raystorm, Flarestorm, Degu, Waran, a handful of other numbered chinese SP's, Spectol, Moristo SP (from memory)

Most of what I tried was years ago - only recently have I been re-trying a few SP. but this Mizuno is unusually spinny.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 08:46 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I am relatively new to Short Pips and am using TSP Spinpips Red1.9 on a TSP Balsa 5.5.. I have from memory achieved more spin than with Raystorm and the blocking is reliable, particularly against fast topspin. Very easy to play with. Beginning to like it more and more.

Bulldog

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 17:57 
Super User

Bulldog wrote:
I am relatively new to Short Pips and am using TSP Spinpips Red1.9 on a TSP Balsa 5.5.. I have from memory achieved more spin than with Raystorm and the blocking is reliable, particularly against fast topspin. Very easy to play with. Beginning to like it more and more.

Bulldog

the most spinny pip with sink is 889-2 decent sink even with thick sponge I think because pips are slightly longer than most sp but enough to sink the ball and is very very stable maybe 102 is similar

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 18:34 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
There is not much sink with Spinpips Red. Similar to inverted. Bulldog

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 04:37 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
In case anyone's interested in the results of my trying out some of these, I first tried the Butterfly Impartial 2.1mm, and I found it to be great for hitting and looping but just a little bit too hard to control for blocking (not bad but not great). Chopping was also okay but also not the best. But what really bugged me was that sometimes the ball would just slide off the pips. For example, with short pips, as with inverted, you can sometimes grab the ball and do a kind of flick/mini-loop just by executing a quick, wristy motion, from a position where your paddle head faces to the right or left at 90 degrees to one where it goes 45 degrees up. Well, with the Impartial, due to the non-textured pips, I think, this motion would very often fail and the ball would simply slide right off and bottom out into the net. This was frustrating.

I then decided to give the TSP Spinpips Red 2.1mm a try, and I knew I'd found my short pips from the very first hour of practice. These pips do everything I want. They block, they hit, they loop and they chop just about as well as the TSP's Super Spinpips Chop II that I'd tried before. And no problem on that little flick I described either. They're not pips necessarily created for deception, but that's not what I was looking for here, and the ball's trajectory is still funky and flat enough to give my opponents trouble sometimes. After a few weeks of play with them (I was waiting for the factory tuning to wear off to see how they really play), I'm very happy with this rubber, so unless something drastic changes, I'm going to stick with it. Thanks again to everyone who responded to this post to help me find what I was looking for.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 07:09 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Having mainly used short pips on the bh I have started trying them on the fh with mixed results, the main problem being getting enough lift and arc on top spin drives to clear the net. 802.40 is easiest due to more inverted type launch angle but a bit dead in feel. Waran has more feel and speed but less spin and lower launch angle and flatter trajectory.

How does super spin pips red compare to 802_40 and Waran in this area. Is it quick enough for Def or Def+ blades?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 07:16 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

ChasFox wrote:

Having mainly used short pips on the bh I have started trying them on the fh with mixed results, the main problem being getting enough lift and arc on top spin drives to clear the net. 802.40 is easiest due to more inverted type launch angle but a bit dead in feel. Waran has more feel and speed but less spin and lower launch angle and flatter trajectory.

How does super spin pips red compare to 802_40 and Waran in this area. Is it quick enough for Def or Def+ blades?

I've never used 802-40, but I have used the Spinlord Waran, and Waran is spinnier but also harder to control than TSP Spinpips Red. I used Waran as my first short pips rubber when I was making the transition from inverted on my forehand, and I found looping with Waran easy enough, but I found it too hard to block reliably (especially when twiddling to use it on my backhand), and I didn't like it at all for chopping. TSP Spinpips Red is much more linear and therefore easier to use, but you do lose a bit of spin generation capacity, especially on serves, as compared to Waran.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 10:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I do not agree that Spinlord Waran is spinnier than Spinpips RED. Not even close.. Waran can barely lift the ball on a FH topspin drive.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 11:56 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

nathanso wrote:
I do not agree that Spinlord Waran is spinnier than Spinpips RED. Not even close.. Waran can barely lift the ball on a FH topspin drive.

Interesting. My experience was very different. I thought the Waran was the spinniest short pips I've tried, and some of the best evidence of that is that when I served short underspin with them, guys who can loop that serve when I do it with the Spinpips Red would net it much more frequently when I did it with Waran, repeatedly underestimating the underspin on the ball. I also thought the spin on loops was higher with Waran, but that's a bit harder to gauge. In any event, I'm thrilled with the Spinpips Red, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 14:20 
Super User

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
In case anyone's interested in the results of my trying out some of these, I first tried the Butterfly Impartial 2.1mm, and I found it to be great for hitting and looping but just a little bit too hard to control for blocking (not bad but not great). Chopping was also okay but also not the best. But what really bugged me was that sometimes the ball would just slide off the pips. For example, with short pips, as with inverted, you can sometimes grab the ball and do a kind of flick/mini-loop just by executing a quick, wristy motion, from a position where your paddle head faces to the right or left at 90 degrees to one where it goes 45 degrees up. Well, with the Impartial, due to the non-textured pips, I think, this motion would very often fail and the ball would simply slide right off and bottom out into the net. This was frustrating.

I then decided to give the TSP Spinpips Red 2.1mm a try, and I knew I'd found my short pips from the very first hour of practice. These pips do everything I want. They block, they hit, they loop and they chop just about as well as the TSP's Super Spinpips Chop II that I'd tried before. And no problem on that little flick I described either. They're not pips necessarily created for deception, but that's not what I was looking for here, and the ball's trajectory is still funky and flat enough to give my opponents trouble sometimes. After a few weeks of play with them (I was waiting for the factory tuning to wear off to see how they really play), I'm very happy with this rubber, so unless something drastic changes, I'm going to stick with it. Thanks again to everyone who responded to this post to help me find what I was looking for.

impartial is not legal but impartial xb and xs are legal

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 16:49 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

bbkon wrote:
impartial is not legal but impartial xb and xs are legal

Yes, I was using Impartial XS.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 23:41 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
nathanso wrote:

Interesting. My experience was very different. I thought the Waran was the spinniest short pips I've tried, and some of the best evidence of that is that when I served short underspin with them, guys who can loop that serve when I do it with the Spinpips Red would net it much more frequently when I did it with Waran, repeatedly underestimating the underspin on the ball. I also thought the spin on loops was higher with Waran, but that's a bit harder to gauge. In any event, I'm thrilled with the Spinpips Red, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Waran is strange in that it can indeed be very spinny on serves and chops but is also quite difficult to lift topspin drives unless a very fast brush type stroke is used. The reason could be that the hard top sheet is itself quite spinny but the underlying sponge when fully engaged creates a flat trajectory except on slow def blades when it becomes easier to block and loop.

It sounds like SSP red is what I need but has anyone compared it to SSP blue?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 05:28 
Super User

nathanso wrote:

how is the sink of spinpips red compared to waran?which one blocks better?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 06:17 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

bbkon wrote:

Neither of these pips is the king of sink by any stretch of the imagination, but Spinpips Red definitely has more sink and blocks more reliably.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 06:33 
Super User

bbkon wrote:

Neither of these pips is the king of sink by any stretch of the imagination, but Spinpips Red definitely has more sink and blocks more reliably.

which one have more separated pips?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next