OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 06:42 

Blade: DHS PG7 Penhold
FH: Impartial XB 1.7mm
BH: N/A
So i'm currently using Friendship 729 802 1.5mm as a forehand dominant penholder focused on emulating aspects of LiuGuoliang/ShanXioana/MaLin game play. Having found the most consistent stroke that ensures balls go in the table every time. I started considering the question,"What is next or is there something better suited to my style?"

Before I go into the different types of Short Pips Out rubbers I was considering, I wanted to give a run down of my current style/form right now.

1. I like to stay close to the table majority of the time.
2. I love taking opponent's loops off the rise and forcing them back.
3. I love attacking any long pushes they provide to my backhand side (I move further to the left to hit with my forehand like Ma Lin/Ryu Seung Min).
4. I like doing 'Traditional Backhands' as a penholder more than I prefer the RPB stroke.
5. I'm confident in my ability to consistently loop now with the crummy Friendship 729 802 1.5mm sheet (I clean consistently with tooth brush and dry it in the sun sometimes so the humidity or whatever doesn't influence it).
6. In CERTAIN scenarios, I will be pushed back to mid-distance if the rally goes beyond the 7th hit. I can still manage a rally (if they happen to be further back than I am) and I still hit through their shots with a topspin/flat forehand.
7. I am confident in my over-the-table or short game (pushes, flicks, over the table loops).
8. Most of my attacks are similar to Ma Lin's/Liu Guoliang's 3rd ball forehand attack (not like Shan Xioana's passive forehand loop if they push a deep underspin shot making you decide to loop or push back).

With that out of the way, for anyone who doesn't know the different pimple structures I provided the image in this post (I think). Cone means more spin, straight (or ladder) means not as influenced by spin, and cone and ladder together provides both features).

I do not want a rubber sheet to go past 1.9mm and keep my racket light (I have 1.9mm Bryce High Speed Red on my backhand) but if you recommend I give 2.1mm I go, then i'll consider it.

Here is the list of rubbers I was considering along with their descriptions:
1. Friendship RITC 802-40 Black at $14 (1.8mm/2.0mm/2.15mm)
- Pimple Structure: Cone
- Link to in-depth description (https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=r-802-40)

2. Butterfly Raystorm Black at $53 (1.9mm/2.1mm)
- Pimple Structure: Cone + Straight (or Ladder)
- Link to in-depth description (https://shop.butterflyonline.com/raystorm)

3. Butterfly Speedy P.O. at $40 (1.9mm only)
- Pimple Structure: Couldn't find information
- Link to in-depth description (https://shop.butterflyonline.com/speedy-p-o)

4. Butterfly Challenger Attack at $38 (1.5mm/1.9mm/2.1mm)
- Link to in-depth description (https://shop.butterflyonline.com/challenger-attack)

5. Butterfly Flarestorm 2 at $63 (1.9mm/2.1mm)
- Link to in-depth description (https://shop.butterflyonline.com/flarestorm-ii)

6. Butterfly Impartial XS at $63 (1.7mm/1.9mm/2.1mm/MAX)
- Pimple Structure: Cone
- Link to in-depth description (https://shop.butterflyonline.com/impartial-xs-imxsp)

7. Butterfly Impartial XB at $63 (1.7mm/1.9mm/2.1mm/MAX)
- Link to in-depth description (https://shop.butterflyonline.com/impartial-xb)

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to lend some words of advice!

Attachments:
File comment: Here are the pimple structure shapes. There is a post somewhere on OOAK talking about what they do.
IMG_8265.jpg
IMG_8265.jpg [ 193.97 KiB | Viewed 2959 times ]

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 18:13 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
What are you trying to achieve compared to your existing 802 short pimple.

More speed. More control, more spin e.g on looping. Is imparting spin more or less important than being able to hit through spin?

E.g if you want spin and control with a slightly soft feel try Spinlord Degu 1.8.. if you want a fast medium spin harder attacking short pimple then maybe Warran in 1.8mm

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 19:16 

After today's matches, I can firmly say that my shots have enough spin and clearance to get it over the the net. My stroke is the same for almost every hit and my opponent (who is a defensive player by nature) stated that today was the best I have ever done. I asked him,"Are you sure there is nothing wrong with my game?" He replies,"No, today you did everything right, you were super aggressive but I managed to get my racket to the ball's location today. Maybe hit harder?"

I am putting my entire body (legs, torso, arms, shoulders, waist) into the shots and moving my 'everything' forward. I have grasped the spin aspect of short pimples, not a problem. But maybe I need to consider something faster once I can consistently get the most out of the rubber sheet. So speed is my biggest concern now (yes, I can go work out more and what not lol). Blocking I have down, I just need more match play for that to utilize in game efficiently and effectively while switching from Defense to Offense (I am offense oriented).

I think control is a more subjective thing. That is just a practice thing I am not worried about that.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 01:03 
Super User

You could try just going up to 802 in 2mm as 1.5mm is bit thin for aggressive top spin and may be bottoming out.

If you want to get a bit more spin as well as speed you could also try 802.40 in say 1.8mm.

The next stage which is more expensive will be the latest tensor sponge type short pips such as Spectol red/blue and Spinlord Warran

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 20:23 

Could you tell me more about Spectol, Spinlord Warran, and Spinlord Degu? I’m assuming you’ve tried these sheets.

Is there anything wrong with the Butterfly Short Pips Out?

You're right, 1.5mm is a little too thin for an offensive mindset.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 04:11 
Super User

Just enter Spectol red review etc. into Google and you will find lots of info.

I use short pips on the backhand for control against spin not speed, so not really able to help much with an attacking pip for forehand

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 12:47 

UPDATE: I use Impartial XB and I love it. Not choosing any other short pips out rubber since it compliments my style so much <3