OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Butterfly Impartial XS
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 06:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I was recently given a sheet of Butterfly Impartial XS in an unknown thickness for testing. I'd guess it's either 2.1mm or max. The sponge is white, soft, and fairly small-pored. Pips are close-spaced and highly conical. This pip is a speed monster..

I'm coming from playing SP on my forehand with pips like Nittaku Beautry or TSP Spinpips RED. I'd say that XS is as fast or faster than Beautry which, imo, is 20-30% faster than Spinpips RED. When hit hard, XS lets out a pleasing 'crock!' sound though it's not as pronounced or high-pitched as the speed-glued rubbers of yore. There's adequate grip to do topspin drives and the pip is very consistent, especially given its prodigious speed.

Coming off Spinpips RED, in the first five minutes of hitting with XS I felt like I couldn't miss the table, and I was hitting the ball faster than I usually would. XS can generate decent spin off service but not quite as much as Spinpips RED, though certainly more than Beautry. Throw angle is considerably higher than Beautry and a tad lower than Spinpips RED. I'd put XS's blocking on par with Spinpips RED, with the latter being the best blocking rubber I've ever encountered. XS's speed off the block is faster than Spinpips RED but it doesn't kill the spin/control the ball quite as well as Spinpips RED.

Attachments:
IMG_20180306_115121a.jpg
IMG_20180306_115121a.jpg [ 380.25 KiB | Viewed 11038 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 13:56 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I used XB in 1.7 sponge, and during passive blocks it actually reversed the spin at times. Otherwise it would send back fairly dead balls. If I bumped a bit into the ball (brushing upward) I could send back top spin. But again, the 1.7 sponge on a Dr N firewall plus was actually returning balls with reversed spin (that is, incoming top spin was returned as slight backspin when blocking).

*** oops... :oops:

Just re-read the thread title some weeks later -- I have impartial xB! Not XS, so my review is for that rubber.

Last edited by skilless_slapper on 11 Apr 2018, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 19:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

After one playing session, my sheet of XS developed a delam bubble the size of a nickel right in the sweet spot. No more testing.. :(

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 22:01 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
nathanso wrote:
After one playing session, my sheet of XS developed a delam bubble the size of a nickel right in the sweet spot. No more testing.. :(
If you could post photo of the rubber, please...

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 03:39 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
nathanso wrote:
I was recently given a sheet of Butterfly Impartial XS in an unknown thickness for testing. I'd guess it's either 2.1mm or max. The sponge is white, soft, and fairly small-pored. Pips are close-spaced and highly conical. This pip is a speed monster..

I'm coming from playing SP on my forehand with pips like Nittaku Beautry or TSP Spinpips RED. I'd say that XS is as fast or faster than Beautry which, imo, is 20-30% faster than Spinpips RED. When hit hard, XS lets out a pleasing 'crock!' sound though it's not as pronounced or high-pitched as the speed-glued rubbers of yore. There's adequate grip to do topspin drives and the pip is very consistent, especially given its prodigious speed.

Coming off Spinpips RED, in the first five minutes of hitting with XS I felt like I couldn't miss the table, and I was hitting the ball faster than I usually would. XS can generate decent spin off service but not quite as much as Spinpips RED, though certainly more than Beautry. Throw angle is considerably higher than Beautry and a tad lower than Spinpips RED. I'd put XS's blocking on par with Spinpips RED, with the latter being the best blocking rubber I've ever encountered. XS's speed off the block is faster than Spinpips RED but it doesn't kill the spin/control the ball quite as well as Spinpips RED.

Interesting. As I think you might recall from a different thread, I've tried the exact same rubbers you've tried. I was using the Nittaku Beautry for awhile and found it super reliable in blocking and hitting but not spinny enough on serves and really bad for chopping, so I tried the Butterfly Impartial XS and found it great for looping and a bit better for chopping than the Beautry, but I didn't like that the trajectory on blocks was a bit high, and I also didn't like that the non-textured pips resulted in balls sometimes completely slipping off the SP surface when I'd try to use my wrist to do a kind of "safe" slow loop, so then I tried the Spinpips RED (on your recommendation, actually), and it turned out to be perfect in all departments, a tiny bit slower than the Impartial XS but great for blocking, serving and looping and amazing for chopping, so while I'm sure I'll try some other SPs just for fun in the future, if I have to stick with this one, I'll be okay with that. (I didn't have the weird bubble issue you described with the Impartial, so I assume that's just some idiosyncratic thing that happened).

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 16:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

rokphish2 wrote:
If you could post photo of the rubber, please...

No can do.. I already returned it to rocketman222. Maybe he can oblige?

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 11:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
According to the AU Butterfly distributor, this rubber has the spin of Sriver and the speed of Bryce. Does that sound accurate?

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 11:37 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
haggisv wrote:
According to the AU Butterfly distributor, this rubber has the spin of Sriver and the speed of Bryce. Does that sound accurate?

I haven't used Sriver or Bryce, but there's no way the Impartial XS has spin equal to an inverted rubber, even if it is one of the spinnier short pips I've seen. As far as speed goes, though, the comparison might be apt. It's pretty fast. It also has a very high throw. It's a good forehand short pips rubber if you're transitioning from inverted, probably, but I prefer the TSP Spinpips RED for its greater control on blocks and chops.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 21:33 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Having tried Waran 1.8mm on my FH but struggled due to the low throw on blocks etc. compared to inverted I am very tempted to try something like XS or Spinpips red.

What are XS and Sninpips red like in the short game e.g short pushes against backspin which is my main weakness with soft tensors. Are they firm enough to provide precision in pushes like a harder inverted does i.e. not to mushy. Waran is really good in the short game and for chopping due to its hard top sheet but just not that easy to block or topspin with if used to inverted.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 02:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I finally broke down and shelled out close to $60 to buy a sheet of Butterfly Impartial XS 1.9 black. Played with it for the first time last night, mounted to a 3-ply wood blade that I usually use with JOOLA Express Ultra. In short, it seemed that the pairing didn't work well, perhaps due to Impartial's soft sponge. It was nowhere near as good as what I remember from my first use of XS (see below) so I'm going to re-test on a harder/faster blade.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 08:38 

Oooo, I want to try!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 15:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

More play time with Impartial XS, this time on a fast Poplar/carbon blade where it was better matched than my 3-ply wood blade. But side-by-side test against JOOLA Express Ultra showed me that Impartial XS generates less spin on serve and has more reaction to incoming spin. Speed was there, yes, but not appreciably more than JOOLA EU or Victas VO > 102.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 16:56 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
More play time with Impartial XS, this time on a fast Poplar/carbon blade where it was better matched than my 3-ply wood blade. But side-by-side test against JOOLA Express Ultra showed me that Impartial XS generates less spin on serve and has more reaction to incoming spin. Speed was there, yes, but not appreciably more than JOOLA EU or Victas VO > 102.

How behaves express ultra with the new ball and how deceptive is when blocking?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2020, 13:19 

Blade: ZJK SZLC (Cpen)
FH: Impartial XS 2.1 mm (SP)
BH: Dignics 09C 2.1mm
Currently I'm using this Impartial XS when I followed closely Germany Oplympian Shan Xiaona change to this SP rubber from her previous SP rubber which was Flarestorm II. The Impartial XS is a really powerful rubber which catapult ball very fast and spin really heavy when use with body movement instead only using wrist/arm (I'm a penholder). I use this rubber with ZJK SZLC identical setup with Shan Xiaona :D

Can watch her action in many YouTube video. She is singla side player, using TBH/TBP (no RPB)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 03:50 
Super User

AMZ wrote:
Currently I'm using this Impartial XS when I followed closely Germany Oplympian Shan Xiaona change to this SP rubber from her previous SP rubber which was Flarestorm II. The Impartial XS is a really powerful rubber which catapult ball very fast and spin really heavy when use with body movement instead only using wrist/arm (I'm a penholder). I use this rubber with ZJK SZLC identical setup with Shan Xiaona :D

Can watch her action in many YouTube video. She is singla side player, using TBH/TBP (no RPB)

how about blocking spinny loops?