OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2009, 10:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

amateur101 wrote:
I have been playing with the Darker Speed 90 and love the speed.
However, I am looking for a more solid or crispier feel on the FH.

I am considering getting thinner and/or harder sponges.

My alternatives are using:

1. Spectol 21 - 1.9 mm
2. Spectol Speed 1.9 mm (1.5 mm perhaps?)
3. Spectol 1.9 mm

Any suggestions on this?

First question is how you like the Spectol 21 1.9 when you flip it to your forehand? If that doesn't feel as crisp as you'd like, you could try Spectol Speed in 1.8 which should be plenty fast and will definitely be harder. Not sure you'll notice much difference with regular Spectol.

Alternatively, you could get a harder blade, but that's a lot more expensive. Still, it would give a more solid feel. I never liked soft blades and soft sponges.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2009, 05:05 
Super User

agooding2 wrote:
First question is how you like the Spectol 21 1.9 when you flip it to your forehand? If that doesn't feel as crisp as you'd like, you could try Spectol Speed in 1.8 which should be plenty fast and will definitely be harder. Not sure you'll notice much difference with regular Spectol.

Alternatively, you could get a harder blade, but that's a lot more expensive. Still, it would give a more solid feel. I never liked soft blades and soft sponges.

I did flip it and Spectol 21 1.9 mm has a more solid feel but with a some loss of speed (which I still need to adjust to).

It seems that there is also slightly lesser spin probably because the ball does not sink into the sponge that much. On the upside, that may magnify the knuckle ball effect of Spectol pips.

What was your experience with Spectol Speed? Thats an alternative I am considering.

--------------and--------------------
TSP Spinpips 21 - 2.0 mm - FH
TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm - BH
BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2009, 08:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

amateur101 wrote:
What was your experience with Spectol Speed? Thats an alternative I am considering.

I sent Alex a review but I can't find it now. I found it very fast in 1.8, surprisingly higher throw than regular Spectol, very firm, good spin on serves. Definitely an attacking rubber.

Supposedly all the top players prefer the Speed version, which gives me even more respect for their skills. It is definitely some high performance rubber, particularly in the thicker versions.

I want to try it in 1.5 as 1.8 is too fast for me with my very fast 110 gram carbon blade. On a softer, slower (sorry, but I've used 9mm thick hinoki, and it is slower) blade like your Speed 90 1.8 might be a good fit.

Only place I've seen it is here, Robbins doesn't have anything but 1.0-1.3 thickness in the regular sponge on their website and they are the U.S. distributor, so I don't think you can get it in the U.S. right now

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 09:03 
Super User

amateur101 wrote:
agooding2 wrote:

I did flip it and Spectol 21 1.9 mm has a more solid feel but with a some loss of speed (which I still need to adjust to).

It seems that there is also slightly lesser spin probably because the ball does not sink into the sponge that much. On the upside, that may magnify the knuckle ball effect of Spectol pips.

spectol speed is a dream come true, sadly is hard to get in 2.2mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 04:31 
Super User

bbkon wrote:
spectol speed is a dream come true, sadly is hard to get in 2.2mm

I obtained Spectol Speed 2.1 mm and was able to try it out yesterday.
I retained the Spectol 21 on my backhand in order to to be able to generate a spinnier ball and have more control.

I also switched my blade from the one ply Darker Speed 90 to Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon-AN which is an OFF rated carbon blade with a supposedly "woodish" feel and is said to be similar to the Donic Waldner Carbon Senso.

First on the Ma Lin Carbon - this is a relatively stiff blade but not as stiff or as fast as the Sardius and Primorac carbon blades and has a definitely better feel and control. As for the "woodish" feel, it feels somewhat like wood in the sense that it is not as hard or dead as most carbon blade. Definitely, it does not feel like my 7 ply Avalox 700 but it approaches it. It seems that the carbon layer is thinner in this blade.

I was concerned too that the Ma Lin Carbon would have too much flex (which is not advisable for short pips play). Fortunately, there was hardly any flex and this was confirmed by other players who tried it out.

Second, on the Spectol Speed 2.1 mm - this is a fast rubber with surprisingly good spin and decent control. Coming from Spectol 21 which has a 32 degree sponge, I had thought that 45 degree sponge of Spectol Speed would severely limit my spins. Fortunately, the difference was not significant and that adjustment was minimal.

I really like the speed and did not find any problems controlling my shots (which was my main worry when I got the 2.1 mm sponge).

Most of my opponents suggested that I stick to the Ma Lin Carbon because my offensive shots were more consistent.

In sum, I thought that my feel for the ball was better with the stiffer Ma Lin Carbon blade (as against the softer one ply Hinoki) and that helped improve consistency in my mainly flat offensive shots.

Spectol Speed is an excellent short pips rubber with great speed and decent control. I highly recommend this rubber.

BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 05:57 
Super User

agooding2 wrote:
amateur101 wrote:

I sent Alex a review but I can't find it now. I found it very fast in 1.8, surprisingly higher throw than regular Spectol, very firm, good spin on serves. Definitely an attacking rubber.

Supposedly all the top players prefer the Speed version, which gives me even more respect for their skills. It is definitely some high performance rubber, particularly in the thicker versions.

I want to try it in 1.5 as 1.8 is too fast for me with my very fast 110 gram carbon blade. On a softer, slower (sorry, but I've used 9mm thick hinoki, and it is slower) blade like your Speed 90 1.8 might be a good fit.

Is spectol 21 way less spinnier than 802-40?

Only place I've seen it is here, Robbins doesn't have anything but 1.0-1.3 thickness in the regular sponge on their website and they are the U.S. distributor, so I don't think you can get it in the U.S. right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 06:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

amateur101 wrote:
Second, on the Spectol Speed 2.1 mm - this is a fast rubber with surprisingly good spin and decent control. Coming from Spectol 21 which has a 32 degree sponge, I had thought that 45 degree sponge of Spectol Speed would severely limit my spins. Fortunately, the difference was not significant and that adjustment was minimal.

I really like the speed and did not find any problems controlling my shots (which was my main worry when I got the 2.1 mm sponge).

Most of my opponents suggested that I stick to the Ma Lin Carbon because my offensive shots were more consistent.

In sum, I thought that my feel for the ball was better with the stiffer Ma Lin Carbon blade (as against the softer one ply Hinoki) and that helped improve consistency in my mainly flat offensive shots.

Spectol Speed is an excellent short pips rubber with great speed and decent control. I highly recommend this rubber.

Sounds like a good choice. Yes, I also thought I had plenty of spin with Spectol speed, just not enough control with the 1.8 sponge and faster blade I have. I Alex decides to stock it in 1.5, I'll be there.

Still, I'm currently enjoying the Se7en 7.01 short pips and inverted I got from Cole. I tried 1.5 33 sponge short pips in black and 1.8 43 sponge inverted in red. Both are a new Swiss-made ESN "Formula X" (whatever that means) tensor rubbers, very fresh and high quality and are looking for distributors now. Cole is trying to decide whether to carry it as they will be $40+.

The short pips are much more dynamic than my unglued/boosted 802-1, at first I lost control, but after the second session I took advantage of the increased speed and spin and could do new things with them

The inverted is slightly tacky and light enough to use on my RPB backhand and blocks, pushes and loops flat enough to use instead of my old TSP Spectol 1.8 (regular sponge).

Here's a link to the full review: http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.asp ... &tid=28992

I now have a sheet of 37 sponge 1.5 short pips and 43 sponge 1.5 inverted to see if I like those better. More on this soon enough.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Last edited by agooding2 on 02 Feb 2009, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 06:11 
Super User

bbkon wrote:
Is spectol 21 way less spinnier than 802-40?

802-40 is definitely spinnier. I have it with 38 degrees 2.3 mm Japanese sponge on my Avalox 700 (with Clippa on BH). This is my back up blade (and fun blade) wherever I play.

I had no choice but to get Spectol Speed it from Iruiru. The shipping cost is quite expensive though and it is advisable to buy several items as well

BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 06:33 
Super User

agooding2 wrote:
Still, I'm currently enjoying the Se7en 7.01 short pips and inverted I got from Cole. I tried 1.5 33 sponge short pips in black and 1.8 43 sponge inverted in red. Both are a new Swiss-made ESN "Formula X" (whatever that means) tensor rubbers, very fresh and high quality and are looking for distributors now. Cole is trying to decide whether to carry it as they will be $40+.

The short pips are much more dynamic than my unglued/boosted 802-1, at first I lost control, but after the second session I took advantage of the increased speed and spin and could do new things with them

The inverted is slightly tacky and light enough to use on my RPB backhand and blocks, pushes and loops flat enough to use instead of my old TSP Spectol 1.8 (regular sponge).

Here's a link to the full review: http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.asp ... &tid=28992

I now have a sheet of 37 sponge 1.5 short pips and 43 sponge 1.5 inverted to see if I like those better. More on this soon enough.

This is certainly an interesting development.

I had always wondered if there was a short pips rubber out there with a built-in glue effect sponge.

BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 07:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

amateur101 wrote:
This is certainly an interesting development.

I had always wondered if there was a short pips rubber out there with a built-in glue effect sponge.

There are, Joola Tango Ultra, Andro Revolution COR and Nittaku Miristo SP are all similar topsheets to 802-40, but are very soft, even softer than 889-2, more like Winning NP 8 with extremly soft sponge.

They seem good for all or nothing flat hitting or soft blocking, but I could never roll with them or feel the ball well enough to change the spin.

Other options are Andro Log (smooth tops, more a medium pip) Xiom Styx or Yasaka XTend P.O., but I haven't tried any of these.

The Se7en seems to be using the latest tensor technology, from what I can tell, not very bouncy at all in the inverted, unlike earlier tensors.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 07:15 
Super User

Is there a pip that can help me to open like 802-40 but getting flatter and nastier blocks. some years ago i played with 802 regular yellow sponge and i got some dead returns but since my game has improved i dont know if i will get that again.

spectol 21, spin pips which one would help (open punch block) since i find too much information i m kinda confused

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 07:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bbkon wrote:
Is there a pip that can help me to open like 802-40 but getting flatter and nastier blocks. some years ago i played with 802 regular yellow sponge and i got some dead returns but since my game has improved i dont know if i will get that again.

spectol 21, spin pips which one would help (open punch block) since i find too much information i m kinda confused

802-1 would do that, inbetween 802-40 and 802. Spectol would be good too.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 08:13 
Super User

bbkon wrote:

SpinPips might be too spinny.

IMHO, Spectol 21 has enough spin but still retains the effect of short pips.

BTW, Andrew's suggestions are good.

BBC 9-10-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 10:40 
Super User

amateur101 wrote:
bbkon wrote:

SpinPips might be too spinny.

IMHO, Spectol 21 has enough spin but still retains the effect of short pips.

BTW, Andrew's suggestions are good.

spinpips too spinny??? thanks for the advice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2009, 15:42 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I personally found myself hitting wood way too much on an Avalox P700 using this brand-new sheet of Spectol 21, 1.8mm. Now I'm not really sure what to do with it, as it feels like I've just wasted part of this month's wages just to try it out. :?

Maybe I should have just wagered on the regular Spectol...