OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: BH SP technique?
PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 04:37 

What's your technique for hitting backhands with short pimples? Do you use only forearm? Or do you play it with your whole arm? Do you add wrist? How about weight transfer? Myself I use the basic driving technique using upper arm with addiction of forearm. But I can't hit very hard and I saw people hitting backhands with a lot of speed. Does anyone have any advice?

Post subject: Re: BH SP technique?
PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 18:21 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
What short pip and blade are you using. This could affect speed as well as your technique. My technique with short pips is wrong as like you to much arm swing but with a fast pip like Waran I lack control not speed.

For aggressive SP and MP play yes the correct technique is taking the ball early with a punch from forearm and wrist rather than arm swing. Have a look at you tube videos of Mesut Barkale and Maxim Cherepnin.

PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 20:03 

I use Xiom offensive with spinpips red thin sponge. I don't like Cherepnin's bh because he always tries to kind of brush the ball. I prefer the other guy's technique but still he seems to be doing similar forearm snap which doesn't generate much speed for me.

PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 21:33 

Moin,

IMHO the backhand reference for smash ist Mima Ito.
Very short and eplosive snap with forearm.

Greetings Claus

PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 23:48 
Super User

Main problem for me with short pips on the BH with the ABS ball is that you need to be very aggresive to win points as medium pace shots seem fairly harmless. I just am too old with not a strong enough wrist to play that way so am moving towards more disruptive rubbers so as to be able attack with less effort and more success at my modest level

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 03:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess you could also watch Ito Mima… :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 May 2019, 10:12 

I have been using short pips bh for 6 months now and still find myself using too much of an inverted stroke. Using forearm I do find the shot to be more controlled but lacking in power. Adding wrist snap u can get alot more power and keep the shot short and compact but I find I lose control or the bat angle changes too much and I miss hit. I changed the way I hold my bat on bh instead of the handle pointing sideways, hold bat with handle pointing down that way you can keep wrist stable. mima ito is a handle sideways player and shao yu is a handle down player.

What I find is short pip backhand due to snappy action to get power, it puts alot more stress on my arm and wrist and I do injure myself if I play too long.

Im using spectol red (max) on carbonado 190 which I think is quite a fast setup but works well

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 22:46 

Blade: Viscaria
FH: Rakza 7.0
BH: Waran 1.8
situsit wrote:
I have been using short pips bh for 6 months now and still find myself using too much of an inverted stroke. Using forearm I do find the shot to be more controlled but lacking in power. Adding wrist snap u can get alot more power and keep the shot short and compact but I find I lose control or the bat angle changes too much and I miss hit. I changed the way I hold my bat on bh instead of the handle pointing sideways, hold bat with handle pointing down that way you can keep wrist stable. mima ito is a handle sideways player and shao yu is a handle down player.

What I find is short pip backhand due to snappy action to get power, it puts alot more stress on my arm and wrist and I do injure myself if I play too long.

Im using spectol red (max) on carbonado 190 which I think is quite a fast setup but works well

I agree with situsit! am too, just switched to SP on backhand for about 6 months. I found that adding wrist quick snap create a very powerful shot (I’m planning to spend a year to work on this technique). It’s also probably depend on the type of SP you’re using. Currently I’m using Victas 101 (1.8 mm). I can perform the banana flip over the table (pretty easy with inverted rubber) but it’s quite difficult w/sp because it has lower throw and I don’t plan to use it often since it doesn’t create much spin, just to surprise opponent when receiving short serves. On BH drive, when holding bat angle at 10 o’clock, I add a quick wrist snap with the motion going forward and down, otherwise the balls will go off the table (again, i need a lots of practices). BTW, Mima Ito is my hero! :)
I’ve read many posts and learned so much from senior and all members on this forum. Thank you all!

My current setting: Viscaria FL, FH: Rakza 7 (max), BH: Victas 101 (1.8 mm)

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 23:25 
Super User

Unless you have a very strong wrist a light blade rubber combination is a great help with the short fast SP action.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 23:33 
Super User

I recommend watching Ai Fukuhara's videos. A bit less power oriented than Mima Ito but more consistent and high tempo. Short pips play relies as much on high tempo as high speed.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 00:16 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
lasta wrote:
I recommend watching Ai Fukuhara's videos. A bit less power oriented than Mima Ito but more consistent and high tempo. Short pips play relies as much on high tempo as high speed.

Wow, she's really using her body in those BH shots!

Her BH rubber (Attack 8 ), however, is said to be a medium pips which plays more like long pips, i.e. it's very hard to attack with it. I don't know how relevant Ai's technique is to BH short pips, especially the tensor sponged ones.

Last edited by ziv on 22 Jun 2019, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 01:21 
Super User

ziv wrote:
lasta wrote:

Wow, she's really using her body in those BH shots!

Her BH rubber (Attack 8), however, is said to be a medium pips which plays more like long pips, i.e. it's very hard to attack with it. I don't know how relevant Ai's technique is to BH short pips, especially the tensor sponged ones.

I think her technique is very suited to short pips. I've had the chance to try Attack 8 a few years ago and it plays similar to spectol.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 02:43 

Blade: Viscaria
FH: Rakza 7.0
BH: Waran 1.8
ChasFox wrote:
Main problem for me with short pips on the BH with the ABS ball is that you need to be very aggresive to win points as medium pace shots seem fairly harmless. I just am too old with not a strong enough wrist to play that way so am moving towards more disruptive rubbers so as to be able attack with less effort and more success at my modest level

Totally agree with u ChasFox, i'm too, choosing Victas 101 for the same reason, it's quite deceptive. I'm over 60, have had many injuries therefore I decided to stay close to the table and my strokes FH and BH are very impact so I feel SP on BH would works for me and so far so good. For the time being, my confident on BH is super low so i'm using BH to block/defense (bad idea :) I know I need to be more aggressive) and using FH to attack. I hope with practice and getting used to SP, my BH will be better like in a year or so... After 6 months, I believe short pips rubbers have many gears, you just have to get used to it and mastered your playing skills and have more fun with it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!