OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 14:04


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Nittaku Moristo SP Ax
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 07:30 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2122
Location: Redwood City, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 90 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: Nittaku Moristo SP Ax
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor OX
There's a new short pip just released by Nittaku that appears to be targeting the 40+ plastic ball market. It features low, horizontal, conical, hashed pips on a thin top sheet which allows a 2.2mm sponge in its max version. The sponge is white, very small-pored, and soft. Weight is a few grams heavier for the cut sheet compared to TSP Spinpips RED max. I haven't had an opportunity to play with it yet but from bouncing a ball on the paddle it seems very fast indeed. More to come after I've had a chance to hit with it.


Attachments:
moristo.jpg
moristo.jpg [ 241.79 KiB | Viewed 784 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 


PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 09:53 
Online
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32077
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 1689 times
Been thanked: 1141 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dornenglanz OX
I noticed it's made in Germany as well... so it could be a Tensor sponge perhaps?

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 14:40 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 14:51
Posts: 98
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
It costs as much as Butterfly's pips.

Rubber looks promising, but I don't like where Nittaku is headed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 14:45 
Online
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32077
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 1689 times
Been thanked: 1141 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dornenglanz OX
lasta wrote:
I don't like where Nittaku is headed.

In terms of pricing?

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 15:34 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 14:51
Posts: 98
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
haggisv wrote:
lasta wrote:
I don't like where Nittaku is headed.

In terms of pricing?


Yes, in terms of pricing.

Also, I concede shortsightedness. Haven't even tried the rubber yet, maybe it is very good. They are a business and can charge whatever they want. If rumours of Mima Ito using it, I'm sure people will buy at any price.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 20:53 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 04:18
Posts: 321
Location: Wakefield UK
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Aurus Select 1.9
BH: Keiler 1.2
The problem to me at least with most of these new tensor sponge short/medium pips is that they are too fast/bouncy for use on the backhand except for skilled all out attackers. Very difficult to take speed off the ball and play passive/defensive shots e.g. short blocks or chops against hard topspin or controlled pushing.

Are they primarily aimed for use on the FH e.g. in conjunction with LP on the BH?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 15:16 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2122
Location: Redwood City, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 90 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: Nittaku Moristo SP Ax
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor OX
First play day with Nittaku Moristo SP Ax max black..

This is easily the fastest SP I've ever played with. Unexpectedly spinny and blindingly fast on slaps and blocks. I must admit I had trouble controlling it compared to TSP Spinpips RED max and feel that I need another couple of days before I can tell whether it's going to help or hurt my game. Makes a corky click when hit hard. Charlie from BBC tried my bat and thought that it was so soft that the ball was bottoming out on harder hits, and this is the max (2.2mm) version.

Its speed was definitely robbing my opponents of time to reset between their strokes. Might be easier to use in 1.8 or 2.0 provided they don't bottom out and behave oddly.

Noted that the Mima Ito effect has caused TT11 to be sold out of every color and thickness of this rubber! And she may not even be using the Ax variant of Moristo SP..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 23:49 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 13 Nov 2018, 03:27
Posts: 120
Location: USA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 7 times
Blade: Dr N Magical Touch
FH: Yinhe Apollo 5
BH: Spinlord Waran 1.8 mm
nathanso wrote:
First play day with Nittaku Moristo SP Ax max black..

This is easily the fastest SP I've ever played with. Unexpectedly spinny and blindingly fast on slaps and blocks. I must admit I had trouble controlling it compared to TSP Spinpips RED max and feel that I need another couple of days before I can tell whether it's going to help or hurt my game. Makes a corky click when hit hard. Charlie from BBC tried my bat and thought that it was so soft that the ball was bottoming out on harder hits, and this is the max (2.2mm) version.

Its speed was definitely robbing my opponents of time to reset between their strokes. Might be easier to use in 1.8 or 2.0 provided they don't bottom out and behave oddly.

Noted that the Mima Ito effect has caused TT11 to be sold out of every color and thickness of this rubber! And she may not even be using the Ax variant of Moristo SP..

Did you try it on the FH or BH side?
What is the sponge hardness? Seems to be very soft...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 02:41 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2122
Location: Redwood City, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 90 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: Nittaku Moristo SP Ax
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor OX
ziv wrote:
Did you try it on the FH or BH side?
What is the sponge hardness? Seems to be very soft...

I use SP on FH. It is soft, yes. The hardness measurement is not published by Nittaku.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 18:43 
Offline
Full member

Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 14:51
Posts: 98
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Fast, spinny, corky? Colour me interested. How's the topsheet hardness compared to the Red? Topsheet independent of sponge that is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 21:33 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:24
Posts: 527
Location: Universe
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 37 times
nathanso wrote:
ziv wrote:
Did you try it on the FH or BH side?
What is the sponge hardness? Seems to be very soft...

I use SP on FH. It is soft, yes. The hardness measurement is not published by Nittaku.


MORISTO SP sponge. Hardness by Shore A = 30 Degree
Just as comparison, Tenergy05 Power Sponge (red) is announced to be 36* by Shore A.

Be happy.

See for Reference source here.
https://tabletennis-reference.com/rubber/detail/675
https://tt-japan.net/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=4023


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 09:36 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2122
Location: Redwood City, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 90 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: Nittaku Moristo SP Ax
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor OX
lasta wrote:
Fast, spinny, corky? Colour me interested. How's the topsheet hardness compared to the Red? Topsheet independent of sponge that is.

The TSP is more like a raw rubber. The Nittaku seems like they made an SP from a soft mechanical grip inverted rubber.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 14:52 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 25 May 2008, 04:35
Posts: 607
Location: puero rico
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
nathanso wrote:
ziv wrote:
Did you try it on the FH or BH side?
What is the sponge hardness? Seems to be very soft...

I use SP on FH. It is soft, yes. The hardness measurement is not published by Nittaku.



How is the block against spinny loops and attack? A guy told me that plays like smooth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 15:32 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2122
Location: Redwood City, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 90 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: Nittaku Moristo SP Ax
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor OX
bbkon wrote:
How is the block against spinny loops and attack? A guy told me that plays like smooth

It plays somewhat like an inverted rubber but no inverted rubber can flat hit like this one! Smack! Click! Gone! I'm still working out how insensitive it is to incoming loops.. more on that later.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 15:35 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 25 May 2008, 04:35
Posts: 607
Location: puero rico
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
nathanso wrote:
bbkon wrote:
How is the block against spinny loops and attack? A guy told me that plays like smooth

It plays somewhat like an inverted rubber but no inverted rubber can flat hit like this one! Smack! Click! Gone! I'm still working out how insensitive it is to incoming loops.. more on that later.


Sounds like a beautry clone . How flat is the arc?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next




All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: