OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 22:52 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
It will be interesting to see how much Explosion slows down as the factory boosting wears off.

I currently have a new sheet of Dawei 388C1 in 1.5mm on my S&T blade instead of Keiler which I am finally abandoning as my BH rubber.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 00:05 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'll keep you posted as I'm able to play with it more. It's a fun style to play, spinny short pips on the forehand and these flatter, hitting/blocking short pips on the backhand. Not sure if this is better for me than medium or long pips which will give more "deception", but I suppose that's why I'm trying all kinds of different things. Been using OX long pips for many years and figured, let's test out some new things. I suppose the only thing I haven't tried is anti. I was looking for a high quality, inexpensive anti that was very slick, but most of the ones I've read about that are supposed to be good seem to be very expensive. Maybe I'll ask for some advice in the anti section.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 00:16 
Super User

I am trying to find a difficult balance between being able to block or chop block medium speed loops very short and low and still having enough speed to attack and hit winners with flat drives. Will play with the 388c1 more this weekend but it may lack grip for my preferred style.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2019, 00:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 388C-1. As I think you've noted in another thread, it sounds like we are after the same thing. The ORKan was plenty slow to drop balls short, but its attacks were not very fast. I felt like the Keiler was good for attacks, but not slow enough or tricky enough to force a lot of errors. If I decide to play an aggressive counter hit style, the Explosion is going to work well. But there's definitely no dropping it short and no reversal, I'd have to get better at counter hits and rely on the sink of the ball. This is why I've ordered the Friendship Dr Evil. There's a player at my club who uses it on his forehand. He can block relatively short, but when he hits it's got good speed and is very flat.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 00:48 

Blade: Cornilleau Foco Off
FH: Dr Nuebeuier Explosion
BH: Tibhar K1
Hi,I just got this rubber earlier this week and played with it around 10 hours including 6 double matches in a small competition.

I used Explosion (1.2 mm) as my forehand and looking forward this rubber can generate good sinking effect while flat hitting and with some disruptive effect when I hit the ball more defensively.In general, I think this rubber did meet my expectation. But I need to adjust the hitting point a little bit and prevent hitting the net.

Below are some of pimple out rubbes I have tried on my FH for last 3 years..

Dr Neubauer-Ultra Tornado 2.1mm
Spinlord-Waran,Degu 1.8,2.0mm
Spinlord Gipfelsturm1.5mm
Hallmark Panther 1.5mm
Winning NP6 1.5mm
Dawei 388C1 1.5mm.
729 Legend 1.5mm
Giant Dragon Blast 2.1mm
Nittaku Wallest 1.2mm

For this first year, I listed Waran for most of the time. The speed was great and with OK control.The sinking effect was not that obvious and with less disruptive effect.

Later on, I switched to 388C1. The speed was slightly slower than Waran but with good sinking effect. However, 388C1 didn't generate other disruptive effect beside sinking the ball.
And I found difficulty to place relatively short ball with 388C1.

Winning NP6 and Hallmark Panther were both Ok half long pip rubber.Both rubbers can generate some sinking effect and disrupt opponent hitting time.

I was quite disappointed with 729 Legend as I found none rubber effect beside the ball speed.

Previously I used Nittaku Wallest 1.2mm. By dediniton, it is a long pip rubber.But i can hit with good sinking effect and OK speed with Wallest.

To sum up,
I like the hitting feeling of Explosion.
Coz I can grab then ball and also hit into it.
Rubbers like NP6 or DHS C7 didn't bring the same hitting feeling.
Also,I found Explosion can make the ball with low bounce and it really opponent hard to hit the ball correctly or even miss the ball.
Occasionally,I switched Explosion to BH. I found it's quite easy to defense and with some medium or long pip characteristics.

But I never play Killer Pro on my FH ,thus I cannot tell the difference between Explosion and Killer Pro.I will borrow friend blade with Killer pro on it to give a try.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 03:21 
Super User

Wow really useful feedback thank you.
What made you only choose Explosion in 1.2mm when you had used Waran in 1.8mm and/or 2mm. Do you find in 1.2mm it bottomed out easily when blocking fast shots and with thin sponge not so easy to create topspin.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 10:05 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I had a good long session with Explosion at the club today. I think it's a very good rubber for counter hitting and attacking. Stable in pushing. If I was going to stick with traditional short pips on my backhand it's probably what I would go with. But I don't think this style suits my game the best. After speaking with some players I have gone up against many times, they said that I'm more effective when I have a difference in speed/spin between forehand and backhand. So, while I am setting the Explosion aside, it's not because of the rubber, it's because I'm going to continue looking for a medium or long pip that offers slower speed, more disruption, and good attacking capabilities.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 10:29 
Super User

If you haven't already, give Bomb Talent a try - fairly slow..ish, good attacking capabilities with reasonable disruption :up:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 20:53 

Blade: Cornilleau Foco Off
FH: Dr Nuebeuier Explosion
BH: Tibhar K1
ChasFox wrote:
Wow really useful feedback thank you.
What made you only choose Explosion in 1.2mm when you had used Waran in 1.8mm and/or 2mm. Do you find in 1.2mm it bottomed out easily when blocking fast shots and with thin sponge not so easy to create topspin.

Hi! Thanks for asking.
I am from Taiwan and sometimes I found it is really difficult to describe my true meaning in English and Table Tennis form.
LoL

As for forehand blocking against opponent s fast ball I don't find too much problem.I guess my hard 5 ply wood blade with 66mm make good support 2.

As for choose thin sponge,part of reason was to use flat smash as much as possible than topspin.
Sometimes,I struggled to decide whether I choose with flat smash or do little top spin. So, I basically give up to create topspin most of time.If so, I only hope the ball can land the table.

Not really sure the topspin ability of Explosion.may try later on.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 14:45 

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: MX-P
BH: AGGRESSOR 1.5
I am thinking about switching from K.O PRO (1.5) to the explosion (1.2) on my backhand.
what do you guys think about this kind of change?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 22:10 
Super User

Why 1.2mm and not 1.5mm?

Explosion is it seems more for short pip type attack with a tendency for the ball to skid low. KO Pro will have a much higher level of disruption on blocking and countering, causing errors other than just by speed and probably better for defensive play and those coming from long Pips.

Dr Neubauer just has too many different products all claiming similar things !!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 23:07 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Comparing KO Pro to Explosion, I agree with ChasFox. KO Pro will be more "deceptive" if you want to force errors from opponents when blocking. But in my opinion Explosion is better for counter hitting and attacking. It just depends on what you want to use the rubber for. And then there's Aggressor, which to me is even more "deceptive" for opponents to play against passive blocks and chop blocks, but it it also harder to control and attack the ball with.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 23:49 
Super User

Are Explosion pips vertical or Horizontal aligned? Dr Neubauer rubbers seems to vary in this regard. I prefer horizontal as it is easy to create topspin but as a result perhaps less sink on blocking and counter hitting.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 16:08 

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: MX-P
BH: AGGRESSOR 1.5
ChasFox wrote:
Why 1.2mm and not 1.5mm?

Explosion is it seems more for short pip type attack with a tendency for the ball to skid low. KO Pro will have a much higher level of disruption on blocking and countering, causing errors other than just by speed and probably better for defensive play and those coming from long Pips.

Dr Neubauer just has too many different products all claiming similar things !!

I think that the 1.2 will be more deceptive.
I never played with long pips. when i was a kid I played with anti on the BH - close to the table blocking, and now I have been playing with medium pips - aggressor, KO, and now KO PRO.
I never tried short pips because i always thought that they are not deceptive and therefore it will not be as effective for my style.
according to the description of explosion it is deceptive and more controllable then KO PRO...is it for real?

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 22:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I don't recall the orientation of Explosion, maybe someone else can answer.
Comparing Explosion to KO Pro, I would say it is definitely more controllable. On passive blocks, I'd say that KO Pro probably has more "deception", but if you want to counter-hit rather than passive block, I found Explosion to be better for that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next