OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2008, 16:43 
Super User

Thkz for the comments :D :D

today, i went to my coaching lesson, and i really tried to focus on my off the bounce bh loop. it went really well, the ball had, a lot of speed, and i could feel the ball come off the rubber, with almost no wood sound, so that basically translated to quite a bit of spin, so i was a very happy camper 2day. i also tried my coaches med pips, (563, on a 1.0 pips ace spng.) that also went really well. yes, i know that med-pips are not sp's, but i kinda think of them as very spinless shot pips, like globe 889. so i was seeing if i could adjust quickly, and if was able to keep my playing standards as close to inverted as possible, (btw, the med-pips are on the bh). that also worked out really well. wat really suprised me was that adjusting to the med-pips from inverted was a lot easier that adjusting from med-pips to inverted, whick i thot was kina weird.

here's a short description of the comparisons between inverted and med-pips bh;
Blade: BTY Keyshot Original
Fh: sriver L 1.9
Bh: 563 1.0
So first is counter-hitting. this stroke, really took about 2 min max to adjust to, (maby from trying to hit with lp's so much), it surprisingly troubled my coach @ first at how fast i adjusted, and that the balls coming @ her were all dead or really light topspin, so the first few balls just dipped down into the net. i find that with 1.0 pips that the hitting, u get a lot more felling and control and u can put it exatctly where u want to (that is if u have good positioning.) and that also gave my coach very minor problems that she fixed right away. compared to inverted, i found that i diddnt have to worry about the amount of spin the ball had, and i could just hit right throught the ball and it would go exactly where i wanted it to go, unlike inverted where sometimes the ball would fly off the edge when there was more spin that predicted, and sometimes into the net when my coach does really light-topspin loops, that look really spinny. next is the blocking. I told her to loop some @ me, and her loops are very controlled and not very fast, but very spinny. (cuz im playing with her compettition setup, so she is more a hitter that a looper) i find that with the pips, i have a lot more leathal things that i can do with ball once it reaches my paddle. i can chop-block it, soft block it, or i can counter it. the chop-blocks were quite effective,(maby cuz they were med-pips and had some degree of spin reversal when u allowed it), and carried from very light or heavy backspin. with inverted, u couldnt chop block @ all, (unless u were VERY careful), and the result wouldn't be amazing, as with the pips. when just plain blocking spinny loops, i found that in extreme cases, u could actually feel the ball slip on the rubber from all the spin, so that case, u either had to chop, block, or actually get the ball to dig into the sponge to get the ball under controll, but the rest was plain awesome, i could sometimes twiddle and my coach would get quite confused about how the blocks where coming back with more spin than usual, (im pretty sure shes never playyed a person that twiddles in the MIDDLE of a point, cuz in china, everythings by the textbook). compard to inverted, id have to go with pips, cuz or the variety of things u could do woth the ball that came @ u. looping. nothing to say about pips, except that i was able to mimic the action of the off the bounce loop and it actually worked! it came bakc with less spin that it looked like, but with even more speed. only difference, is that u have to use a more open bat face and with a more positive forward motion. compared to inverted, inverted wins, no contest cuz of the inverteds ability to generate spin and the pips inability to.

overall, i really think that just 10 min. with pips has really changed my thinking of how pips work and what they can and cant do.

(oh ya btw, i started to win a lot more points cuz my coach had to be a lot more careful with my bh hits, and i ended up putting it away with my fh. :D :D )

im getting sp's not mp's so the trickyness wont be there anymore, but i think that overally that the short pips wont have that much of a difference from the med-pips.

thkz for reading this. (i know that i said short comparison, but it ended up pretty long) but hey, whats wrog with that :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2008, 19:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hi Supplaza,

Sorry I'm responding so late, but I've been otherwise engaged. Besides, I felt hesitant. I guess Andrew felt more or less the same. It is good to see someone who takes a lot of time to post in detail about problems, experiences, etc., and you may well have been a bit surprised that in spite of it you haven't been hailed as a new member of the SP-club, so to speak, but as Andrew already pointed out, a transition from inverted to SP may in your case not necessarily bring the improvement you seem to expect of it. Playing a good game with SP, even if it seems simple initially, is at least as challenging as playing a good game with inverted and maybe its most characteristic feature is that it leaves no room for mistakes. Playing with short pips there is no retreat. You simply cannot back off, as you can and sometimes must with inverted. As I understand your excellent description of your game, backing off is important for you - apparently you need elbow-room for your loops. You seem to see this as a flaw. In my opinion it isn't. With the right (fast) rubber, attacking from second position (say 1.5 meter from the table) can be very effective. You seem to be disappointed that you're unable to loop with lots of speed and spin close to the table, but I think that's being unfair to yourself, for even very few professional players can do that well. So you're not Kong Linghui - so what? None of us is, really, and it just proves you're human. In your place I think I would not try and switch to SP hoping to cover up this supposed weakness, but re-evaluate limitations and possibilities, and try to work out a system of play that would fit them well. For example, something like this: a mix of blocking and hitting close to the table, looking for quick points and (when they can't be had) for control, and stepping a bit back for loop-attack when you can safely do that. In this case your close to the table play would not need to be so fast or aggressive as you now seem to think it should be. Also, you might be able to work on a good forehand loop, because this system would allow you to take the time for the right movement of body and arm (my guess is that you are hitting with your forehand because you are not using your underarm much - that would be a serious problem even if you would switch to SP).

You obviously liked the 563 because it seems to make light work of close to the table returning of serves and loops. Actually, attacking effectively with medium pips is an art in itself. Also, it is in part different from attacking with SP (which are faster, for one thing).

So perhaps you should look at the options you have with inverted a bit more, before you really consider switching to SP. But if you do make that transition eventually, I'm sure you'll get help here.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2008, 00:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Kees has it exactly right.

Let me also add that the characteristic of great short pips (SH) players is that on their inverted side they can rip loops right off the bounce.

Think of Wang Tao, although it is not easy to find video examples of his play. An example of somebody like this you can watch at this year's Olympics is Dang Yeseo, who plays for the Korea women's team.

In other words, SP play places a premium on the one thing you indicate you are having trouble doing. It has taken me years to retool my forehand to make this possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 15:38 
Super User

Baal wrote:
Kees has it exactly right.

Let me also add that the characteristic of great short pips (SH) players is that on their inverted side they can rip loops right off the bounce.

Think of Wang Tao, although it is not easy to find video examples of his play. An example of somebody like this you can watch at this year's Olympics is Dang Yeseo, who plays for the Korea women's team.

In other words, SP play places a premium on the one thing you indicate you are having trouble doing. It has taken me years to retool my forehand to make this possible.

another good example of SP player is tang peng, that soaks his sp in glue for 30 minutes, he defeated ryu and had wang hao 12 all in the 7th game in the asian games

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2008, 11:02 
Super User

thkz a bunch guyz. (like seriously) :lol:

this really helps a lot.

now my bh loop is improving, but im still working hard @ the off-the-bounce bh loop. and its coming out pretty good. im liking it, u can redirect the ball without giving away the positioning until the very last second. the only problem (srry.. another) is that in a match, i find there is very little time to use a loop. my first instinct is to hit the ball because the backswing is a lot shorter and i can put the ball where i want a lot faster and a lot more accurately. maby i just have to practice my bh loop A LOT more. (like A LOT, A LOT)

thkz a bunch guyz. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 12:44 
Super User

nobody cited badescu who plays with 2 SP also