OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 03:05 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
How do the 802-40 and Dragonow compare to some of the next-generation spinny short pips that were designed with the new ball in mind, such as Spinlord's Waran/Degu, Nittaku Beautry or Hammond FA, Andro's Hexer series, etc.?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 03:24 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I used to really like Degu, but I tried it again on Monday and found it a bit mushy and not as controllable as the dragonow. The waran is like a faster degu. I recall liking it, but I returned to 651 as I found it forced me to play proper SP strokes, rather than trying to play inverted strokes with SP.

I definitely plan to try some Beautry at some point!

I think now my SP technique is pretty solid and ingrained perhaps I can appreciate 802-40 more. Previously I'd rather dismissed it as being a bit like a slowish and not very spinny inverted, but that was a jolly long time ago.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 05:59 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
It in part depends on whether you are playing short pips on the f/h or b/h.

Warran is very much a f/h fast short pip quite hard and medium spin.

Degu is softer and easier to control with more spin but as Lord Cope states a bit mushy on the f/h,

802.40 is in the middle softer and spinnier than warran but still effective on the f/h and easy to transition from inverted.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 07:58 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
ChasFox wrote:
It in part depends on whether you are playing short pips on the f/h or b/h.

Warran is very much a f/h fast short pip quite hard and medium spin.

Yes, it's for my forehand. Waran was actually the first short pips I tried when I switched from inverted in June 2016 because I figured it wouldn't be that drastic a transition from inverted, and I wanted something spinny to balance out the long pips on my backhand (and because I twiddle). Waran was very good for attacking, but I found it too unpredictable on blocks (I actually found it more difficult to block with Waran than with inverted). So I switched to the Nittaku Beautry, which is a lot more reliable, though slightly less spinny. Beautry is decently fast, but not as fast as Waran, but most importantly, it's WORLDS better on blocks .... which is to say that the ball actually lands on the table, and when it doesn't, I know WHY. I'm curious about the 802-40, since it's been a staple of short pips play for so long. I want something spinny but also linear, which probably means a firmer feeling is good.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!