OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 02:38 

Blade: Gambler Oversize Kevlar
FH: RITC 802 OX
BH: RITC 802 OX
I have been thinking of putting together a setup for this kind of two-sided short pips game:
Backhand: controlled pushing with varied speed, spin, and placement. When the loop comes, fast blocking to precise locations on the table.
Forehand: varied pushing like the backhand. When the loop comes, block or flat hit for a winner.
I will stay close to the table (no chopping away from the table).
I will not loop.
Considering what I have been reading about balsa core blades, they would seem to be perfect for this kind of game, at least in theory. For those of you who play with balsa blades, how do they meet my objectives in real-world play? I would think they would have a relatively soft and controlled feel for pushing and good speed and control for blocking fast loops. Is this so in reality?
Example setup: TSP Black Balsa 7.0 or TSP Balsa 6.5 with 1.7 mm Friendship 802 on BH and 1.9 mm 802 on the forehand.
Other note: Would carbon be good or bad for this type of balsa setup?
Other note 2: Some may immediately think of pushblocking or using anti or long pips for disruptive blocking, especially on the BH. I am not interested in this kind of play (not a putdown of others; it just is not my interest). I want to win points with steady pushing and fast and precise blocking and hitting.
Thanks all!!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 05:37 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Deleted my post as I think a 1800 player cannot be serious with pushing as the primary game element.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 07:54 

You have obviously never played Jim McQueen (lol). Seriously, though, I agree with you completely. However, smacking in pushes that get a little high, as well as blocking 1800 level loops, can be very profitable! I would expect to win points with flat hits and fast blocks. Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 09:28 
Super User

Off-topic - apologies! - How are you finding playing with the M8 SteveH? I have one with normal inverted and Dr N Troublemaker OX for testing when I get back to playing post COVID. Can't wait!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 12:35 

I have been very pleased with the M8 so far, but have yet to use it in a match with a human being. As short pips(with sponge) are something new for me, I have nothing to compare the M8 to. I am about to put rubber on an Avalox P700 I just received. I will give a comparison after I use it a little.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 13:14 
Super User

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020, 01:40 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
from my experience playing with SP & MP Pips on a range of blades inc TSP balsa 6.5 and talking to good short pips players, if you want controlled pushing and blocking go for an all wood fairly hard stiff blade all+ or Off- . Also avoid going too thick on the sponge especially on the BH as you loose blade feel and control and get less pip effect.