OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 11:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
Needing half the amount of energy as with inverted (well, more or less), if you'd hit with pips the way you'd loop, the ball would go far over the table. So, playing with pips, you actually have to limit the amount of kinetic energy your arm-movement produces. The best way to do this, is to keep your upper-arm completely out of it, because this part of the arm can only go forward and you definitely do not want too much of that. Besides, using your whole arm will tempt you to use more force than you should. The best way to keep your upper-arm out of it, is by keeping your elbow close to your body and pointing down, always - even when you use the backhand. You have to feel sort of small all the time. Compact. No grand gestures!
You can't reach for the ball either, since that would mean using your upper-arm too. So you should move towards the ball, again and again. You have to use your feet, and you have to use your body - hips, torso, shoulder - bringing your hand and under-arm to the ball. Then you have to snap at it. A crisp hit, for quick attack!

This is all absolutely true. I agree with it completely.

Quote:
Stellan Bengtsson told me that the backhand hit is forearm based stroke.

I have been told the same thing by many Chinese coaches (at least with respect to short pips). As recently as yesterday one told me that one has to relax the forearm on the inverted forhand, but NOT on the short pip backhand -- there the forearm is kind of rigid and it is movement kind of from the elbow and from the hips that generates your pace.

Don't let the ball drop too much.

Quote:
You have to feel sort of small all the time

Coach Wang here in Houston tells me that all the time. I once made an entire post about it on this forum. It bears repeating.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 00:27 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I'm not sure where exactly to put it, but since it concerns what I experienced with a short pips backhand just tonight, here's the story:

I was playing with an Amultart (medium-hard carbon composite) with 802-40, Dawei soft sponge 2.3mm. I find it a little odd that soft contact, the SP reacts to spin quite a bit (as expected).

But on hard contact, it seems like the ball is rebounding a bit too fast, the spin of the ball doesn't bite too well on the short pip, resulting in a much lower 'throw angle', a more direct ball flight.

It also seems to be the particular problem I have been tackling for the longest time when I was using short pips on the backhand -- the short pip feel and throw isn't the same for soft and hard contact, messing up my blocking and hitting quite a bit.

Now, after putting this hypothesis into practice, feeling my way through blocking and hitting through topspin loops, I was hitting balls hard, consistently, with a more open bat; resulting in rather low balls with reduced topspin. Fantastic!

Interesting that classic short pip behavior exhibits itself on the modern 802-40 when the ball rebounds quickly enough.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 01:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yuz

It may simply be that the Amultart / 802-40 (2.3 mm) combination is simply too fast for control. I know it would be too much for me.

In any case, the more open the bat angle, the more "pip-like" the shot with a spinny short pip like 802-40, in fact it is the only way to every get any spin reversal. Otherwise the balls are almost like inverted but with more gears. If the blade is not too fast (or if you use a somewhat thinner sponge on a super fast blade) then you can play shots with a variety of racket angles and still get the ball on the table.

The temptation is to try to hit every ball hard with short pips. It is more effective to take the ball EARLY and vary the speed. If you play with a combination as fast as yours, then it is an absolute imperative.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 08:26 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Baal wrote:
Yuz

It may simply be that the Amultart / 802-40 (2.3 mm) combination is simply too fast for control. I know it would be too much for me.

In any case, the more open the bat angle, the more "pip-like" the shot with a spinny short pip like 802-40, in fact it is the only way to every get any spin reversal. Otherwise the balls are almost like inverted but with more gears. If the blade is not too fast (or if you use a somewhat thinner sponge on a super fast blade) then you can play shots with a variety of racket angles and still get the ball on the table.

The temptation is to try to hit every ball hard with short pips. It is more effective to take the ball EARLY and vary the speed. If you play with a combination as fast as yours, then it is an absolute imperative.

Indeed, quite too fast for good control for a person like me -- I couldn't control when the ball reverses! Slower and it would be better...it felt like it only had three gears, with the top gear needing adjustment on the bat angle to land the ball on the table.

The 802-40 felt a bit like inverted with with more gears when hitting. Excellent description there!

I'm just keeping the Amultart with something on it until someone buys it off me. It's not my playing racket, hard feel for my forehand, very unforgiving for unseasoned/out of position strokes because it's also fast.

It's nice to have something lined up for the future; I certainly think playing short pips on the backhand is rather elegant and unique, especially with the current crop of juniors playing double inverted. Playing with short pips on the backhand every now and then helps keep my my way of thinking fresh and be able to think of other ways to win a point.

I'm probably keeping one bat just for short pips, this way I can teach some kids about it. I hope I find a suitable candidate! :D