OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hitting with sp.
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 05:22 
Super User

I play a very good bh hit with my JO platin 1,8 in my bh and I would like to try sp for my spare setup.
When i hit my bh with inverted i close the bat angle very much and then hit it hard.
How is the technique with sp ?
I have a sheet of 802-40 super soft is this soinny enough for looping and how is hitting with this monster ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 08:50 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I think what you are asking is covered very well in this thread started by Kees. I've always found his and agooding2's posts to be very informative and helpful.

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=5708

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 11:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Open up the angle. You will not find it too hard to get used to. But why would you want one setup with inverted and one with SP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 15:05 
Super User

Baal wrote:
Open up the angle. You will not find it too hard to get used to. But why would you want one setup with inverted and one with SP?

just for fun, I have a sheet of 802-40 with supersoft sponge.
and a "spare" tenergy 05 which I could you as my spare bat.
but maybe if i reallt like it i would use it more.
Can you generate high topspin with 802-40 or is it only moderate ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 20:22 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Quote:
Can you generate high topspin with 802-40 or is it only moderate ?

I used it for just over a season and liked it - but I'm not a spin based player. I couldn't generate high topspin with it - although the inverted players who tried my bat were surprised by the amount of spin it did generate for a short pimple rubber. However, if you want to generate high topspin I wouldn't even try short pips - it's not what they are designed for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 20:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I use something similar (Butterfly Raystorm) and can generate a lot of topspin on slow loops -- that is to say, more than it looks like it has, which makes it effective if I don't use it too much. But it is better to use the rubber for blocking and hitting. I have great control on the backhand side, especially going down the line.

Some of the really good (2300+) players at my club -- power loopers all of them -- make fun of me and say that I play like a girl. It is true that very few top male players use sp on the bh side, really good players tend to just blast through it. The men who do use this at a high level (such as the Chinese guy who plays for Croatia) are so quick on their feet that they mostly hit forehands anyway.

But down at the level where I live it works great. It seems to be a good style in women's table tennis too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2009, 21:59 
Super User

A few professionals use SP on the bh, but most of them chop with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 19:11 
Super User

TAN Ruiwu from Croatia after a win at Belgrade Euro CH., trough away his BH Spectol into the public, and when boy near me cought it, two sides of sponge touched each other and stayed glued no metter how hard he tried to separate them, only nail laque remover halped...That's how hard Tan glued Spectol...I dont know what he is doing now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 19:51 
Mind Gamer Extraordinaire

ZoranV wrote:
TAN Ruiwu from Croatia after a win at Belgrade Euro CH., trough away his BH Spectol into the public, and when boy near me cought it, two sides of sponge touched each other and stayed glued no metter how hard he tried to separate them, only nail laque remover halped...That's how hard Tan glued Spectol...I dont know what he is doing now...

He's definitely using a short pip, saw a European Champion's League match of him versus Petr Korbel (La Villette Charleroi v Frickenhausen Würzburg), and when the umpire was checking the bats, one of them had SP on it , and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Korbel's racket.

Tibhar IV-S - Donic Defplay SensoV3 - BTY Tackiness D/C - BTY Feint Soft - Meteor 813

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2009, 23:47 
Super User

the bummer about tan as a sp player is that he does everything possible not to hit a bh. Tang Peng is a bit more reasonable but still steps around more than most 2 sided loopers.

I should count but there must be around 20 women in the top 100 who attack with sp on either the bh or fh

Post subject: Re: Hitting with sp.
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 03:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bcbcbc wrote
Quote:
the bummer about tan as a sp player is that he does everything possible not to hit a bh. Tang Peng is a bit more reasonable but still steps around more than most 2 sided loopers.

I should count but there must be around 20 women in the top 100 who attack with sp on either the bh or fh

Johnny Huang was for more than two decades the only top-50 player using SP on both sides and was quite good at attacking over the table with his backhand, but stepped around it if he wanted to smash. So if you define "hitting" as smashing, even Huang didn't use his backhand SP for it. But neither do players who use inverted (with the exception of Kreanga and Schlager). I doubt whether it has anything to do with the rubber. Male players use a lot more force than female players and the difference between forehand and backhand hitting power is greater because of this; so naturally male attackers tend to step around their backhand for hitting, whereas female attackers (with some exceptions, e.g. Guo Yue) attack with both sides, inverted or not. And amateur male players are probably more similar to female pro's than they are to male pro's, so they can copy the female pattern of attack quite succesfully. No shame or disgrace in that, I think...

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2009, 11:03 
Super User

Interesting post but not at all what I had in mind.
By 'hit' I had in mind the simplest possible definition:make contact with the ball.

It looks like Tan tries to not use his bh at all. He runs around everything possible much like a classic Japanese/Korean penholder. Liu Song plays similarly. Most of the modern inv/inv players use the bh loop much more. Jiang Tiangyi is an all inverted sh player who seems to want to hit only fh.

In contrast most of the women sp bh players seem very happy to play backhands or even prefer the bh although nearly all will run around to hit a finishing fh.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2009, 01:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bcbcbc wrote:
Quote:
In contrast most of the women sp bh players seem very happy to play backhands or even prefer the bh although nearly all will run around to hit a finishing fh.

Maybe this is because backhand to backhand exchanges are relatively safe, as they are not very powerful and the backhand strokes are easier to do over the table than the forehand strokes (wrist bends the right way for the backhand); and if, for this reason, one player favors the backhand for starting a rally odds are that most balls will come back to her backhand too; besides, as soon as the forehand is involved, shots will be tougher to return, mistakes will be made, rally will be over.
Male players tend to go for the kill much sooner than female players, because they can. Therefore, with male players, rallies are rare; but if they occur, they will tend to be forehand to forehand exchanges, since a forehand attack was what started them.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009, 04:25 
Super User

ZoranV wrote:

what kind of sponge tang was using?? white or brown

PostPosted: 17 May 2009, 06:13 
Super User

If You ask for Tan it was white sponge but dark because of speed glue...