OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 07:25 

Hi all,

I'm thinking of playing with short pipps on my backhand. First I thought about was the Butterfly Raystorm.
There's a store in The Netherlands that sells it for € 20,95 (about 28,50 USD). You think this is a good price?

I need a black sheet because I've got a brand new red Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1 on my forehand. They only have black sheets in 2.1 mm. How is the control with this thickness? I'm playing with a Butterfly Timo Boll ZLC.

Thanks in advance!
Timo B.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 08:50 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Timo B. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm thinking of playing with short pipps on my backhand. First I thought about was the Butterfly Raystorm.
There's a store in The Netherlands that sells it for € 20,95 (about 28,50 USD). You think this is a good price?

I need a black sheet because I've got a brand new red Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1 on my forehand. They only have black sheets in 2.1 mm. How is the control with this thickness? I'm playing with a Butterfly Timo Boll ZLC.

Thanks in advance!
Timo B.

The price is just about similar to the price when I bought my own sheet (approximately 30-35US$). Yours is cheaper. :lol:

Should do fine on your blade, but will be quite fast. Lots of practice needed! :D

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 08:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Good price.

If you can't use Raystorm than short pips are not for you. It is the easiest transition there is from inverted. 2.1 is fine.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 08:53 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
you going to get nice contrast if you can use those short pips - no spin and then huge spin with the tenergy, scary stuff.

Apart from trying other people's baldes and playing lots of people with short pips, this is my theory.

DONT use a maximum sponge. This is not inverted where you have spin to balance your speed.
pips you want to control often with lots of blocking, keeping the ball from going to long is step one. then when you need speed produce the speed with punches.

The blade should be slower than carbon compostie for the same reasons.

The 2 best short pips at my club are excellent and both use about 1.5-1.7 on allround wood. One is chinese the other shake grip.

These guys reaaaaaaaaaaalllly annoy me to play. they can block till the cows come home and the faster or spinnier or I attack the weirder the spin floats back or no spin wobbles. When they attack its fast enough, when they position the ball it is difficult to return.

I have often thought the next area for me to try is these thinner sponged short pips.

But stuff the butterfly products, you don't need it to be butterfly for control rubbers. Both those guys you $10 chinese rubbers.

Oh I will mention one of the guys name. Peter Lander, from BTTA. He used to use tenergy 05 on his forehand with pips on bh, but I think repetitve looping action has hurt him now, he has both sides pips! - he killed me

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 12:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I agree that ultimately a bit thinner and weirder sponge is better, but as a transition, thick and spinny is fine. You are not going to become a classic short pips player immediately. But if you take it in steps you will be able to annoy people and attack people right away without becoming frustrated.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 22:35 

Hello all and thanks for your quick reaction!

The only problem is that I can only get a black sheet of Raystorm in thickness 2.1

So a couple of you think this will be too fast on my Butterfly Timo Boll ZLC blade and others say that it's possible for me to play with a 2.1 Raystorm.

How is the control with this thickness? Will I be able to return very spiny services and will I be able to block and chop with it?

What is preferred when playing with short pipps, a soft, medium or hard/stiff blade? My blade is category OFF and pretty stiff because of the zylon/carbon, but also the control is good. Even with Tenergy 05 2.1 on my forehand.

@ Baal : you play with T05 2.1 on your FH just like I do. Do you think this will work well with my ZLC blade? I'm asking this because you also play with a BTY blade, but your Viscaria-blade is a 'soft' blade and my blade is 'hard'. Do I lose a lot of control when playing with a 2.1 Raystorm?

Thanks in advance!
Timo B.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 08:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

you should be ok with it. It is fast, but not ridiculously fast.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 08:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Actually conventional wisdom is that short pips like Raystorm play better on a harder blade, so if you can use T05 on your forehand with that setup, the Raystorm should work fine. I pick my blades to suit my forehand.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 02:39 

Thanks all for your reactions. I've ordered a sheet of Raystorm 2.1 black and hopefully I can try it tomorrow at my training. Hope it will play fine on my Butterfly ZLC and it will go well with my T05 2.1 on my forehand. I will let you know after I've trained a couple of times with this set-up.

Greetz,
Timo B.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 17:15 
Super User

boz wrote:
you going to get nice contrast if you can use those short pips - no spin and then huge spin with the tenergy, scary stuff.

Apart from trying other people's baldes and playing lots of people with short pips, this is my theory.

DONT use a maximum sponge. This is not inverted where you have spin to balance your speed.
pips you want to control often with lots of blocking, keeping the ball from going to long is step one. then when you need speed produce the speed with punches.

The 2 best short pips at my club are excellent and both use about 1.5-1.7 on allround wood. One is chinese the other shake grip.

These guys reaaaaaaaaaaalllly annoy me to play. they can block till the cows come home and the faster or spinnier or I attack the weirder the spin floats back or no spin wobbles. When they attack its fast enough, when they position the ball it is difficult to return.

I have often thought the next area for me to try is these thinner sponged short pips.

But stuff the butterfly products, you don't need it to be butterfly for control rubbers. Both those guys you $10 chinese rubbers.

Oh I will mention one of the guys name. Peter Lander, from BTTA. He used to use tenergy 05 on his forehand with pips on bh, but I think repetitve looping action has hurt him now, he has both sides pips! - he killed me

hey boz are you talking about that the players in your club use raystorm?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 03:49 

Are there any differences between red and black version of Raystorm, in terms of spin, speed or other characteristics, since my friend told me that generally short pips are spinier in black version...

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 19:15 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
Hey
Have Hit My First Time with Raystorm in black 1.3 for chopping...
I Dont have a lot of time now to make a full review, so i just can say that a liked it a lot...
Tonigth i will post a review...

First , Why i tried the SP rubber if my old trust p1r that i am using for some years now was doing fine?
With P1r I Could send back almost every ball t the other side off the table, But My Main Problem was with High Lvl players that have a strong opening,
sometimes i just didnt have time to reach the bal.
So I Decided to try sp for i can have a heavy underspin ball and a slower first attack from my opponent.

The First Sp that i have tryed was a BTY SpeedP.O., I Liked it , but it was dam fast even that the spong was 1.6.
And my chops ware missing too long. but i liked it in the short game, and to receive serves.
So I Decided to buy 1 Sp for me, searched it in all Brasilian shops and no one have SP other then 2.2 or max.
The only one place that cares other thickness is the BTY distributor and they have 1.3 raystorm.
I Didint Think twice, it have less speed then speedPO and more spin, in a 1.3 sponge, thats what a needed i bougth it.

The first think that i noticed is that is ligth than my P1r wich is a dam heavy rubber.And Softer.
other thing is that the topsheet in the logo is very stick...
The pips seens tall and soft.(conpared wit speedPO)
and it produces a really good spin.

SERVES: In serves it can produce a spinny ball or a dead ball, good to fool the oponent.
SHORT GAME: I can make a good spinny chops on the table and attack short balls with a flat hit with a high speed. The 1.3 dont seens too bouncy.
Chopping: Diferent from Speed PO that i need to change my moviment totaly, with this rubber i chopped almost like with my p1r. just changing in some kind of balls that i need a diferent touch.
But My Chopps ware spinny and flat, and i can do side spins chops so easily, with that banana like trajectory.SO Cool.

I Have played like an hour with it, with a partner that plays with me every day, so i need to play with diferents players so i can say more,
But i liked it so much that i already changed my Signature.

Sorry for the bad english.
I Will Update as soon as possible.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 22:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Tried an old sheet and fell in love
played it on the f/h of a defplay in 1.9mm
im playing in a cup match tonight with it.
i like the throw angle and feel confident when going for my shots.its decent away from the table.
not as great in the short game but my f/h is ON with this.
drawbacks are that its difficult to get hold of now

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 23:55 
Super User

boz wrote:

what pips are using the guys you talk about?

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 00:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
Timo B. wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Timo B.

@@@@thats the post hes talking about imho@@@@

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl: