OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Stiga Royal
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 19:37 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I thought I wouldn't change my SP's ever! But have just ordered a sheet of 2mm Stiga Royal. The drop in speed on my blades is taking some of my danger from the forehand short pip side so I fancied trying something with a reputation for speed. Will be glueing to my TSP 4.5 and will report once I have a change to knock it.

Can't help wondering if I'm partly going long when blocking because I have a new sheet of TU on the TSP and it's just a bit spinnier in its new condition.

Post subject: Re: Stiga Royal
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 19:57 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

The sponge is much harder, throw is lower than TU. I think it's even more spinier of serves.
I found it still pretty slow on the Aurora even in Max, but it's probably because I tend to stay a step back away from the table.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 20:40 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Lower throw is interesting as I would class TU as low throw too. It will be interesting to see how this goes. My experience with harder sponge is limited - I tried Snabb a while back and didn't like it. I can always switch back but after 4 or 5 years, it probably is time to try something new.

How easy is it to open with. I will generally top spin back a chooped ball - like a roll loop with TU. How easy is this with Royal? Is this a better rolling than top spinning SP?

How is it in the blocking game, particularly against a hard top spin?

Also noticed you have this in Max. I've ordered 2mm but thought about max. Have you tried any other thicknesses?

Would be very interested to hear more, my old monkey mate.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 21:20 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I wouldn't think about adjustment problems too much, dingwol2, because you have been playing with short pips for quite some time.

Hope that everything works out well for you. Please do post a review, particularly which rubbers are similar to Stiga Royal. :)

Yuz

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2009, 02:47 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Should get my first knock with the new set up tomorrow so will look to publish some findings soon.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2009, 06:30 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

dingwol2 wrote:
Should get my first knock with the new set up tomorrow so will look to publish some findings soon.

Sounds good.
One thing I noticed is that the throw is much higher, one can play a little further off the table. Serves are more better than TU, although you may need adjusting to the firmer sponge of the Royal.
Overall I like it for the insane speed it has.

Even at half pace you can hit pass through people with them having the reaction of a stunned mullet :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2009, 22:07 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I played for about an hour. This was a whole brand new combo for me, with TSP Balsa 4.5, Stiga Royal 2mm forehand and Meteor LP's backhand. Overall I was very impressed.

Specifically regarding the Royal, this is a seriously fast pip. The higher throw was obvious from the off as immediately when I was opening I was going high and long, but it didn't take too much time for me to adjust, using a slightly lighter touch.

Spin - it generates plenty for a SP - easily as much if not more than TU. This was evident in serves and also my top spin shots were returned long.

Pushing was easy - very similar to TU.

Blocking seemed easy - similar to TU on the FW+ but better than TU on the TYSP 4.5. Very direct, flat and very fast, yet also mostly under control. Very good for counter blocking/hitting.

Rolling was good once I understood I needed different angles and lighter touch from the higher throw angle. Same with top spinning - there was more on the ball than I thought as I thought I went long a few times only for it to dip on to the table.

Hitting was great - this was very very fast - anything popped up could be killed hard. This is where the rubber excels. It is an absolute bullet when hit at full power.

A very good first impression. I also faired well with the Meteor on the other side - probably more comfortable with this than the Bomb Talent I previously tried, so I am now decided on this for my next season. Just need to practice to get all the backhand meteor angles sorted so I can return more and more.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 09:56 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

That is exactly how I felt with the Royal after moving from the TU. Even though the pip is extremely fast, the extra speed gives you that added control when hitting. I still find it hard to roll the ball, I guess it does land too long (overall setup is too fast?).

I am glad you liked the royal too Dingwol, I think I don't regret switching from TU.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2009, 03:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It's possible that the extra control you feel with Royal is from switching from a very soft sponge (Joola Tango Ultra) to a harder sponge. You might try a different pip with harder sponge, like I did with Joola Snabb that gave me much more ability to take medium speed shots, like rolling. With Tango Ultra I felt I was limited to either fast or slow shots.

I may try Royal again, but it would be with a thin sponge, like 1.5 due to its speed.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 02:22 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Maybe, but I didn't like Snabb at all. I played with the Royal again last night and again, to begin I was long and high but after an adjustment after just a couple of mins I was back on track again. Missed a few too many hits but overall I think this is a real winner on this combination. I have a tough match next week which will help me draw a more firm conclusion.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 05:03 
Super User

dingwol2 wrote:
I played with the Royal again last night and again, to begin I was long and high but after an adjustment after just a couple of mins I was back on track again. Missed a few too many hits but overall I think this is a real winner on this combination. I have a tough match next week which will help me draw a more firm conclusion.

After our short knock last night dingwol, I think you are not too far from having something workable, close to how you were playing before last season. I was more successful against the long pips, but even so there quite a bit of speed deception to overcome.

With the backhand Meteor ox. you were playing close to the way you used frictionless, I tried to loop hard into it and there was enough spin reversal to make it very awkward.

With the exception of a few misplaced balls, and looking how short a period you've used that combination the future looks bright :)

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 06:49 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Thanks Moggy - I really appreciated the knock last night and was quite enthusiastic about the new set up.

Was also impressed with your spinny inverted / thin sponge set up - very spinny and tough. Hope to do it again soon, at least before the new season.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 06:51 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Also @ Moggy - lol - just read your signature. Have to say, he has come on hugely - what a forehand (but not approaching the father's of course)!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 16:10 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

The more I play the Royal the more I like it. I can still play a loop drive with real power but I think it's the harder sponge that is allowing me to flat hit better when a ball has a little more height on it - even just a quick wrist flick will power on. Can't recommend this highly enough and it seems to work very well with the TSP Balsa 4.5 too.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 15:59 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Another week on and I'm more enthused all the time with this rubber. It doesn't seem weaker to me in any area compared to JTU. It's so direct for attack that I'm flat hitting/snapping too early at times now - I need to control the urge to kill immediately and take the ball a little later, as I would have done before. Blocking against loop is quality - better than JTU now I have the angles.

And this works really well on the TSP blade - can't help wondering how quick this would be on a more offensive set up, or even with 2.5 sponge - sounds too hot to handle!!!