OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2009, 11:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Since I'm far from being an expert on SP (and not afraid to admit it :lol: ), I was wondering if one of you guys would like to take a stab at generating a review proforma for Short Pips? It basically needs to identify the more important properties of short pips, which I'm sure would be different to that of inverted or long pips.

I think a lot can be based on the Inverted or Long pips proformas, so you won't have to start from scratch...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 00:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Since I'm far from being an expert on SP (and not afraid to admit it :lol: ), I was wondering if one of you guys would like to take a stab at generating a review proforma for Short Pips? It basically needs to identify the more important properties of short pips, which I'm sure would be different to that of inverted or long pips. I think a lot can be based on the Inverted or Long pips proformas, so you won't have to start from scratch...

Okay, so based on the inverted proforma then:

1. The reviewer
A little about your level and style, and blade used to test the rubber.

Makes sense, may also want to clarify how long you have been using short pips and whether you came to short pips from inverted (as I did) or long pips.
To generalize, people who come to short pips from inverted seem to focus on ability to create service spin and attack long balls and focus on speed. Long pips users seem to focus on control of spin and deception when blocking and focus on control.

2. Physical Properties
Mention colour, sponge thickness, sponge hardness (guess or compare to similar), quality of sheet, grippy or tacky/sticky, any unusual features (eg dome), unusual packing, etc

Discussion of pip height, width, spacing and topsheet hardness or softness as well as texture on top of the pips would be helpful here. For sponge, it would be good if people could discuss the effect of different hardnesses and thicknesses if possible as they can radically change the properties of the pips.

3. Speed:
- Speed on slow strokes (eg rolls, loops against underspin)
- Speed on blocks (eg can you block short when you want to, fast when you want to or one or the other)
- Speed on smashes (eg how fast does the ball go when you hit flat) [/color]

4. Spin:
- Spin on attacking strokes
Ability to generate flat versus spinny balls on attacks would be good, as well as the tradeoff between shots that are hard for an opponent to return and shots that go on the table.
- Spin on serves/pushes
For serves, ability to generate heavy spin. For returns, ease of stopping spin (as a push against a push) or continue spin (as a flip against a push or continuing with with sidespin) would be helpful.

5. Control:
How easy it is to control the rubber on blocks, pushes (short game), placement, etc

6. Other Playing properties:
Mention the Throw (ie for a loop, at what angle does the ball come off compared to other rubbers... ball going higher means higher throw), sensitivity to incoming spin, glue effect/feel, sound, rubber bottoming out on hard loops, etc

Trajectory/throw angle would be useful as would sensitivity to spin, though subjective impression will have to do with whether reviewer is originally an inverted or long pip player and their strokes.

7. Reference:
Comparison with at least one rubber on some of the factors above.
Good idea

8. Other comments Other unique properties...
Likewise, ability for long pips user to use or inverted user to use would be helpful. Also ability to play off the bounce or away from the table would be helpful.

9. To cut a long story short.
A brief summing up of one or two sentences. Makes it easy to get the gist of the review.

It would be good if an experienced long pip reviewer added to this as I may have left some things out. I also couldn't find the pro forma for long pips reviews, just reviews.

The background of the reviewer seems to make a huge difference when reviewing short pips, and I have learned to discount what people say about short pips depending on whether their background matches mine or not. One players fast and spinny might be another players fslow and non spinny.

Style would also be good. I tend to attack when possible, a blocker will have different needs than I will.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 01:43 
The Artist
The Artist

Excellent summary, Andrew :)

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 14:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow that is excellent Andrew, thanks a lot!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 21:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Glad to help... :D

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!