OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: blade suggestions
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 06:48 

I've recently (6 months ago) returned to playing TT after a 10 yr break (having played at school).

in the last few weeks I've switched (from Tackiness Drive) to using Friendship 802 on my BH and
find it suits my style very nicely
-I don't loop on the BH side; just push, block, drive and chop. it's easily my strongest side-
So at the moment I working on improving my FH play:
basically I'm trying to develop a more aggresive looping game on my FH
(where I use a 'normal' inverted rubber-e.g. Sriver), whilst retaining my BH style.

any suggestions about a blade that would assist me/ allow me to play with
these contrasting styles (which can't be that unusual a combination)?

The blade I have is a Butterfly Andrzej Grubba All+ (the only blade I've used-I was told to get something 'allround' to start with)
Someone at my club felt that that this was pretty hopeless for looping and that I'd also need something 'stiffer'
for SP play.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
(I'm in the UK and have previously bought from Teesport -though I got my 802 rubber from Eacheng).

Post subject: Re: blade suggestions
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 07:32 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

cje wrote:
I've recently (6 months ago) returned to playing TT after a 10 yr break (having played at school).

Why congrats! Welcome back to table tennis play! :D

I would suggest getting more familiar with the ball with more play rather than spending at this point. If you're using the original 802 with the rather hardish Friendship orange sponge, you'll probably feel good to go with the Grubba All+;

While it's true that you'll probably like a stiffer blade on the short pips, I certainly think you can stand to put that aside for later, after saving up and finding out what particular properties you would like in your (eventually) new bat.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 08:54 

Yuzuki wrote:
cje wrote:

Why congrats! Welcome back to table tennis play! :D

I would suggest getting more familiar with the ball with more play rather than spending at this point. If you're using the original 802 with the rather hardish Friendship orange sponge, you'll probably feel good to go with the Grubba All+;

While it's true that you'll probably like a stiffer blade on the short pips, I certainly think you can stand to put that aside for later, after saving up and finding out what particular properties you would like in your (eventually) new bat.

thanks for that. to me the blade/ rubbers (yes, it is the original 802 I'm using) combo feels fine so I'll hold off from investing in anything new for the time being and concentrate on improving my technique.

http://www.murrayfieldtt.com | http://www.youtube.com/user/MurrayfieldTTC

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 12:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

At this point just work on your technique. Equipment junky-ing at this point may actually impede your development. It's a rather slow blade to be sure, but you can loop just fine with it if you learn to loop properly.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 01:45 

Baal wrote:
At this point just work on your technique. Equipment junky-ing at this point may actually impede your development. It's a rather slow blade to be sure, but you can loop just fine with it if you learn to loop properly.

I've actually tried my SP's on another blade I had
(a cheap one I picked up some time ago when buying some balls off
eacheng.net -think it's called Galaxy Y-4)

I know that some of you have warned me against 'Equipment junky-ing' but I did find this slightly quicker blade
suits my game better (hitting more winners with my backhand
punches and drives etc without losing control) and is helping me develop a 'proper' forehand.

not sure if I should continue to use my 'cheap' blade or if I should look for a better quality
blade with similar characteristics.
the person who is helping me with my forehand suggested 'Stiga Energy Wood'
Anyone else use this with SP's?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 07:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The Energy wood is a soft and flexy loopers blade, which is not the most suitable for short pips at all, although it might suit your forehand.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 09:57 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

haggisv wrote:
The Energy wood is a soft and flexy loopers blade, which is not the most suitable for short pips at all, although it might suit your forehand.

Energy Wood's probably alright if you use a rather hard sponge...like that orange sponge from Friendship. Don't worry about getting the small bat details right now; Find something rather 'easy-to-use' and easy to buy so that you gain consistency and technique quickly.

It's rather easy to find suitable hard sponged short pips, as many of the popular, effective, and cheap short pips are made in China!

Baal mentioned this before -- it's quite tricky to find a blade that suits both your forehand (looper - soft-feeling is nice) and your backhand (hitter - hard-feeling is good). He suggested to compromise and get a good blade suited for your forehand instead. The forehand will eventually be stronger than your backhand when you get the techniques right.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 18:41 

thanks again for your advice.