OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: shake or penhold
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 16:34 

Watching the incredible Chen Longcan and other penhold players, it seems to me, that there is an adventage using penhold over shake, if one is playing with short pimples in the forehand. It looks easier to take full advantage of the short pimples that way, where you can block and hit with the short pimples in both sides :D.
Does anyone have ane experience ?

Flemming

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 20:24 
I am Legend
I am Legend

It's not an advantage. You're mixing up the style Chen Longcan is playing with the advantage equipment gives you.

For example, look at the women counterhitters that use SP. It gives them an advantage too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2007, 22:08 
Super User

I think he's just saying that with penhold, due to using the front side of the paddle for both forehand and backhand, you only need short pips on that side to be able to use them on both wings. I agree that it is, in a way, an advantage. It's especially useful if you use the reverse backhand with an inverted rubber, as you then can have short pips on both sides, but can still use the inverted rubber for serving and backhand loops.

I've actually taken this all "a step further". I'm now using a twiddler Jpen, one with finger hooks on both sides, with inverted on one side and short pips on the other. This means that in addition to having the reverse backhand in my arsenal, I can flip the paddle to have either side for forehand. You can easily do the same with a regular Cpen that's sanded on both sides of the handle, though Cpens are naturally going to play differently from Jpens, so you have to get the one to suit your style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 16:00 

Sorry if my question wasn´t clear enough :oops: , but Hobbes has now described it in a better way. Thanks a lot. Interesting to hear how you have developed the style further.

Flemming

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 18:17 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi hobbes,
Maybe someday you will take it a "step further" and try Seemiller where you have the same advantages plus being able to use either side on backhand without twiddling,,,, LOL Just kidding hobbes,,, :D
I guess it would be close if you RPB with pen. :)

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 20:27 
Super User

Eh... I've tried Seemiller briefly a few times. I really didn't like it. Since I'm used to a minimum of three fingers and a max of all five touching the head of the paddle and the part of my hand between my thumb and index finger being wrapped around the handle, I find that anything other than penhold gives me very little control. I'm used to feeling every tiny little touch shot and all that.