OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 04:40 
Super User

I received today the TSP Tyranno (Multipower) Sponge 2.1 mm (black).

About myself:

I am an all SP shakehand (right) player and switched from all inverted play 18 months ago (upon return to TT after having stopped playing for 5 years). My favored SP is TSP Spectol since I have used it the longest. My style is close to the table all out counter hitting and smashing. I don't know my USA rating but friends estimated it to be somewhere around 1650-1800.

Visual Observations:

I have not glued them yet so I can only give my visual impressions with respect to TSP Spectol 21 with which I am quite familiar.

The Tyranno Multipower Sponge package states:

Hardness - 3.0
Speed - 13.00
Spin - 7.75

Meanwhile, TSP Spectol 21 states:

Hardness - 3
Speed - 10.00
Spin - 7.00

The back of the Tyranno packaging states:

"The multi-powerful elastic-type sponge creates maximum speed production. When used with speed glue Tyranno rubber produces excellent speed and control of the 40 mm ball. The unique combination of power and stability makes a high degree of of offensive play possible. TSP Tyranno has the unique built-in power with its elastic type of pips."

In contrast, the packaging of Spectol 21 does not mention speed glue.

It seems that speed glue is needed to maximize Tyranno. In view of the banning of speed glue, I am concerned that this rubber will not perform adequately without speed glue and be a disappointment. (I am thus tempted to try the "real" high tension SPs such as Xiom Styx and Nittaku Moristo SP. )

Interestingly, the color of the sponge of both rubbers appear identical!
I then pinched each sponge and both feel the same in terms of softness and springiness.

The pips of Tyranno is appears almost the same diameter as that of Spectol 21.

Tyranno's pips appear to be 10% taller.

Tyranno's pips are pinched inward closer to the top (thus looking quite conical) while Spectol's pips are pinched right in the middle part and are not as narrow.

I shall add some more observations as soon I get to play with Tyranno.

--------------and--------------------
TSP Spinpips 21 - 2.0 mm - FH
TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm - BH
BBC 9-10-9

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 10:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think almost any rubber would give better performance with speed glue... and mentioning this on the package was a selling point when it was popular and legal, but obviously not anymore. Since they usually don't change the packaging it's still there...

So I think it does not necessarily mean it won't perform well compared to other rubbers used without speed glue...

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 10:42 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

haggisv wrote:
I think almost any rubber would give better performance with speed glue... and mentioning this on the package was a selling point when it was popular and legal, but obviously not anymore. Since they usually don't change the packaging it's still there...

So I think it does not necessarily mean it won't perform well compared to other rubbers used without speed glue...

I think you are right here Haggivs but I never like it when they give this rubbers such as this one a 13 for speed (it sorta sounds increadable but you will need the speed glue to get you the speed)
to amateur101 just try it out and try and go in with a open mind and don't worry about the packet info lol

I have seen a vid of you and you have a nice at the table style and good forehand drive so I think you would be better than 1600 IMO anyhow good luck

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 10:56 
Super User

haggisv wrote:

It is true that almost all rubbers would perform better with speed glue.

I do wonder what "Multi Power Sponge" means.

Does it mean that it has a "speed glue" effect? - which I doubt..
Or perhaps it is especially formulated for speed gluing?
Does it refer to a softer sponge?

All merely marketing hype perhaps?

BBC 9-10-9

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 11:19 
Super User

rodderz wrote:
I think you are right here Haggivs but I never like it when they give this rubbers such as this one a 13 for speed (it sorta sounds increadable but you will need the speed glue to get you the speed)
to amateur101 just try it out and try and go in with a open mind and don't worry about the packet info lol

I have seen a vid of you and you have a nice at the table style and good forehand drive so I think you would be better than 1600 IMO anyhow good luck

Thanks for the compliment but you may have me confused with some one else with a similar moniker.

At any rate, I shall try out the Tyranno (regardless of marketing hype) and find out for myself.

BBC 9-10-9

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 20:09 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

amateur101 wrote:

If I read that marketing correctly, it might mean 'more gears' than the original Tyranno. Makes sense, though.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 03:55 
Super User

Yuzuki wrote:
amateur101 wrote:

If I read that marketing correctly, it might mean 'more gears' than the original Tyranno. Makes sense, though.

I glued new sheets of Tyranno and Spectol 21 on my Photino last night. I will try the new set up tonight.

After cutting up the rubbers, I closely examined the remnants of both rubbers particularly the sponges. I discovered that they are virtually indistinguishable from one another. They are identical in color, texture and hardness. It seems that the "Multi Power Sponge" of Tyranno is merely the 21 sponge. Perhaps Tyranno Multi Power Sponge sounds much better than the label "Tyranno 21".

Also the top sheet of Tyranno easily peels off from the sponge unlike Spectol 21 where they are firmly adhered together and difficult to separate without damage. I don't know whether this is usual with Tyranno or due to the fact that I may have been sold very old stock (from Taiwanese website) or just one of those occasional defective products.

As a result, the Tyranno top sheet on my blade has very delicate edges and if it unravels I shall have to completely strip the top sheet off the sponge and reglue everything.

One last thing, after one more inspection I observed that the pips of Tyranno are just slightly wider (by 10% at least) than that of Spectol. The surface of the pips also appear to be rougher. The bumps on Spectol's pips are smaller and finer.

BBC 9-10-9

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 04:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

amateur101 wrote:
I glued new sheets of Tyranno and Spectol 21 on my Photino last night. I will try the new set up tonight.

After cutting up the rubbers, I closely examined the remnants of both rubbers particularly the sponges. I discovered that they are virtually indistinguishable from one another. They are identical in color, texture and hardness. It seems that the "Multi Power Sponge" of Tyranno is merely the 21 sponge. Perhaps Tyranno Multi Power Sponge sounds much better than the label "Tyranno 21".

Also the top sheet of Tyranno easily peels off from the sponge unlike Spectol 21 where they are firmly adhered together and difficult to separate without damage. I don't know whether this is usual with Tyranno or due to the fact that I may have been sold very old stock (from Taiwanese website) or just one of those occasional defective products.

As a result, the Tyranno top sheet on my blade has very delicate edges and if it unravels I shall have to completely strip the top sheet off the sponge and reglue everything.

One last thing, after one more inspection I observed that the pips of Tyranno are just slightly wider (by 10% at least) than that of Spectol. The surface of the pips also appear to be rougher. The bumps on Spectol's pips are smaller and finer.

If Tyranno has some kind of speedglue effect built in, often the sheet will be thinner and not adhere as well as a regular sheet. The pips seemed softer, I guess maybe they could be broader too. See what you think of it.

For me Tyranno seemed closer to Joola Tango Ultra (another very soft, tensor short pip) than regular Spectol, but I didn't try the MPS/21 version of either one.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 05:42 
Super User

agooding2 wrote:
If Tyranno has some kind of speedglue effect built in, often the sheet will be thinner and not adhere as well as a regular sheet. The pips seemed softer, I guess maybe they could be broader too. See what you think of it.

For me Tyranno seemed closer to Joola Tango Ultra (another very soft, tensor short pip) than regular Spectol, but I didn't try the MPS/21 version of either one.

I can confirm that Tyranno does not have a speed glue effect built in.

This was contrasted with Flarestorm, which has a high tension sponge and gives a "catapult-like" feel.

Spin:

Tyranno is spinnier than Spectol and I could perform loops better (ala inverted rubber manner).

Speed:

Tyranno has a bit more speed than Spectol but not significantly. Tyranno pips also felt harder and seemed more solid when hitting the ball. Blocking is pretty good.

Overall:

Despite my observation that these two rubbers have the same sponge, Spectol actually felt softer. I assume it is because Tyranno pips are a bit harder. A good chopper in the club (rated 2000+) tried it and also mentioned this softer quality to me.

Tyranno is not very disruptive unlike Spectol. I also thought that Spectol had overall better control although Tyranno had the speed advantage. However Tyranno's ability to spin more gave more stability in offense (better hit percentages) and gave more spin options.

But these two rubbers are quite similar and its really a matter or preference - whether one prefers a bit more spin or more possibilities for a disruptive ball.

BBC 9-10-9