OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 09:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sounds like it's very much related to the throw of the bat speedplay. It goes in the net against what type of incoming shots? Loops, chops?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 09:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Oh, also what rubber and blade is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 09:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That sponge is real soft and only 1.5mm right? It sounds like it's bottoming out, probably since you're still looping it with a euro type stroke. To stop it from bottoming out you'd have to really brush more... don't let it dig it too far into the sponge...

This is not that easy since such a thin and soft sponge would bottom out quite easily... 1.5mm is probably too thin for looping when the sponge is very soft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 09:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

When you want to loop, really brush it finely, don't dig it into the sponge too much. For hitting, the bottoming out is not actually that bad, since the bottoming out makes it much less sensitive to incoming spin (reduced dwell time), but as you say you need to open up the blade face more and hit flatter through the ball. The margin for error is greater, but it will also come off faster and as I mentioned it's less sensitive to incoming spin which helps.

For chopping and low impact stuff the control should be very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 09:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

It may not help your game either... gettting lots of spin with your fh means more spin should come back... this gives you more potential with your bh, and provides more contrast... So yes give it a good go...

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 13:53 

speedplay wrote:
I know we have had a guide about this, but I couldn't find it, so to see if I get things right;

I'm used to play with Euro style rubbers but have now switched to tacky rubbers. I have experienced some minor problems and would like your advices. I find that I often close my bat while making a move forward. The result is that I hit the net very often Sad Not a good thing)...

This is why Euro style rubbers promote bad technique. You do tend to curl over the ball. You do this so the ball sinks into the sponge easier. It makes up for lack of forward motion from your legs and hips.

Chinese rubbers force you to develop a better stroke, at least in theory ;)

Quote:
So to solve this problem, am I right when I assume, that for hitting with tacky rubbers, the blade angle should be very open and the move straight forward and when trying to loop, still with a open blade but moving up instead of forward?

If not, how should I do? Any tips that might help making the transition easier?

No.

Tacky chinese rubbers with a hard sponge and high throw angle behave differently.

The bat angle should be closed and you need to move FORWARD with your legs and hips. More closed than with low throw euro rubbers. 30 - 45 degree for looping, depending on how high and spinny the ball is. 90 degree or so for underspin. You have to brush the ball a lot finer than with euro rubbers, you don't wait for the ball to sink into the sponge.

The arm motion should be fairly straight, not curved. Some curve comes from the leg and hip motion, but the arm should move straight. The arm moves in the same direction as the bat angle, and the legs and hips add even more forward motion, to prevent airballs and give you more power.

Don't forget that when you open or close the bat angle, use the shoulder joint. Not the forearm. The elbow joint should be at least as open as the bat angle. Certainly not any more closed.

The problem with curling the arm motion, is that at high speeds, you may not be able to curl quick enough. The ball bounces off the bat a lot quicker than with euro rubbers. This is also why attempting to re-loop a fast ball with an open bat won't work well. The ball just flies off too quick without much spin.

If the ball constantly falls into the net, add some more forward motion with the legs and hips and / or try to increase your arm speed to lift the ball a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 19:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Although tiwaz makes some very good points, I still think in YOUR CASE it's not your technique, but your rubber bottoming out because of your thin and soft sponge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 20:19 

speedplay wrote:
Ok, I will try this as well, but it sounds harder :wink:

Btw, I use soft sponged Chinese rubbers, I guess the same goes for them?

Yes, except you probably need more forward motion to get the ball a bit more into the sponge, unless Alex is right about it bottoming out. If you brush at a more closed angle, it should be harder to bottom out anyway.

The same even applies for euro rubbers, except the angles would be different and you would have to contact the ball a bit later in its flight path to get it to sink into the sponge.

I personally don't like high throw, soft feeling rubbers. They just don't work very well. I'm using some now (palio topsheet on a saviga sponge). The throw angle is too dynamic, the feel isn't very 'solid' and it's hard to get a deep + low arcing ball. I think softer euro rubbers should be low-medium throw and hard tacky rubbers should be high throw. I've had good results with normal high throw, hard chinese rubbers and low-medium throw euro rubber (cermet, nittaku waldner).

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!