OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 03:05 
Don Skaffa

hitting the table with your body is baddd so you better try fixing it, a nasty umpire could probably even give the point to the opponent if you hit the table too much.
whenever I try to change something I just do the stroke then after hold my position for a sec and check if I moved correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 03:44 
EJ in recovery

with footwork like that you will have a hard time reaching shots placed wide to your BH,the closer you are to the table the lower your stance has to be as well as being pretty much square to the table and move side to side.
Footwork away from the table I would say Greg or Haggisv will be more qualified to answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 14:42 

speedplay wrote:
Guess I wasn't clear enough about this, I thought it was pretty obvious...

I'm not up close to the table, I do not touch the table with my body but I'm turned so that the side of my body is pointing at the table when I hit. I do not have a problem with balls wide at my Bh or Fh. So my Q is, since my footwork actually works great, I can catch most shots is it worth the hassle of changing it? I'm sure that my footwork would be a lot worse (at least at first) if I changed it to be more "correct" but it could be beneficial for my counter strokes.

Yes, it would be worth it. You may consider your footwork to be good now, but it's probably a part of a glass ceiling stopping you from getting better. Changing your footwork will make you worse in the short run, but eventually you will get better than what you are now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 15:03 
EJ in recovery

I get what your saying now......I do the same thing if I don't have time.
What that does is get's you out of position a LOT as you have to turn and go back.If you watch MaLin he also does it sometimes but then we are not as fast as him :cry:
What is VITAL with footwork is to move after you have made a shot i.e if you hit to his FH move to your right and visa versa...easier said than done.
Watch Waldner he seemed to always be in good position,for a defender watch Joo Se Hyuk he makes footwork look easy