OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 11:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: TT Exercises
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 11:23 
Rubber Killer!

Hey everyone

I'm wondering what sort of weight exercises can be done to improve racket speed (acceleration of the racket through the ball on contact). With light rackets this is a no brainer, but when it comes to slightly heavier equipment I feel sluggish.

I've come up with the following exercises but I don't know how effective they'll be.

1. I was thinking of putting a extremely heavy shadow stroke racket together. Maybe a 100g plus blade with very heavy chinese rubbers on both side. This isn't such a bad idea but it wastes more time outside playing time, which is something i can't afford to give.

2. Just do weights to strengthen the shoulder, biceps and forearm.

thats all I've got at the moment.

any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 12:13 
I am Legend
I am Legend

high mass, low reps will build explosive arm strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 12:50 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Polymetrics are the classic deal to develop the muscles used for explosiveness. Some basic strengthening of the major musle groups should be first in order.

It might be kinda rough and dangerous to use a heavier setup mimicking the movements/motions of say a loop.

Another alternative, and I REALLY think is a good one, is to develop the strength of your core muscles, then your lower body and arms/upper body. Just about every sport demands fit, powerful, and long enduring core muscles (hips/abdomen). A lot of our TT strokes use a lot of the lower body and core to start the power. Just about every gym has a myriad of equipment to do this for basic strength development, then it is up to your imagination to develop the polymetric drills. I favor free weights, especially home-made free solutions, like sandbags for the heavy resistance and just about anything else for the lighter resistance, like say a 1.5 litre water bottle or two (1.5kg or 3lbs).

EDIT: I reread my post and it looks like I am sugesting LAW is weak or clueless. NOT the case. I direct my post to anyone looking to develop core strength and hope I don't come accross wrong. Achieving good core strength allows anyone to perform a lot of demanding tasks with less chance of injury.

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 13:20 
EJ in recovery

the torque from twisting your waist as well as using your legs will increase arm speed more than ANY excersize you will do trying to build arm strength.....just watch vids of WLQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 15:41 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
Yoga works for me. I utilize several poses to strenthen core muscles, arms and wrist. Poses to strengthen the thigh muscles also helps stabilize the knee.

When one is in "ready position", our knees takes a lot of work from all that movement, also the side - to - side movement as well as the quick stepping in when trying to flip.

I get the aerobic exercise from playing table tennis itself, but Yoga works for me with regards to strengthening and flexibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 16:48 

have you tried a powerball they are great i used one last year until i broke it its a gyroscope system you hold in your wrist and you twist/flex your wrist to get rotation the more you flex the fster the rotation do it right for about 10 minutes and your arm feels really strange
apparently arm wrestlers use them and it gives the whole arm a work out im sure you will find someone using one on youtube really wierd feeling now i think about it i might get a new one

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 16:54 

yep just looked on the tube and the first one is a promo the second is the record holder watch him go itslike he is getting electric shock
but watch out when you get the hang of it is very addictive

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 19:49 
Don Skaffa

you could probably buy some of those weights you can strap around your wrists and ankles and keep them there in everyday life when possible.
Then when playing put them off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007, 23:23 
Rubber Killer!

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Yeah I think I need to work on my core muscle groups as well. I use to build a few years back but I've let it go since I played TT seriously.

I'm going to give weights a try, something around 1.5kg. I don't think mimicking the strokes with that weight would be safe as I feel I can easily injure something. The high explosiveness with low reps sounds like a great idea :).

A few months back I had a similiar problem but I did shadow stroking with 5kg weights which was really silly (wasn't thinking at the time). I did manage to handle heavier rackets easily but my timing was all thrown out the window.

I'll try lighter weights with different exercises and post back :)

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 04:31 

Suggested drills for strengthening core. (I also like Arlene's ideas about flexibility along with strength)

Cost: whatever a few bags and tape cost, next to nill -defineately less than even one dumbell. Make double/tripple lined bags with dirt/sand to the weight you want and tape it all over for support to stop breaking. (Maybe I make a fitness video out of this - not such a bad idea. It is better to see this stuff rather than only read about it) I prefer 20 kg for most of these drills.

Drill one - Power Squat..... Stand with feet more than shoulder witdth apart. Control of movement is critical to avoid injury. Squat down and flex knees keeping back as upright as you can. Hold the bag over one shoulde or with both hand holding bag behind the neck, resting on the shoulders. Do at a controlled pace. Make the weight heavy enough, say 2 x 20 kg bags, one on each shoulder.
VARIATION... Use one bag for resistance and shuffle side to side squatting slightly and rising as you make your steps... works the muscles used for lateral movement. Be controlled in movements and use the principle of progression.

Drill Two - Power Sit-up....... Use 10 to 30 KG bag resistance. Lay on grass or mat, hold bag close to and under chin, and sit up using hip flexors and abdomonals to come up. Progression... come up more explosively as strength develops. This exercise works strength at first then more of a balance of strength/endurance later, then explosiveness as you get stronger/more coordinated.

Drill Three - Push-up with resistance.... Have a partner place the bag over your shoulder/neck. Have partner put slight downward pressure on bag to keep it in contact with shoulders. Conciously raise your buttocks a little higher to compensate for weight. This is important - it works all those core muscles used to keep the body straight and they don't get worked out much from other training. Select the weight that allows you to do 10 or so at a moderate to medium fast pace, say 4-5 reps every three seconds. This drill also gives great work to the shoulders, side, pectorals, triceps, and wrist muscles as a side benefit. Work later towards using a progressively heavier weight and doing 25 reps as you build strength - you get excellent strength and endurance to play matches all day long into your 40s and beyond.

Drill Four - Modified Leg/hip rollover ...... You lay on ground on your back with your knees bent at 90 degrees and elevated off the ground 10 - 15 cm. You use your legs to press your resistance bag (5kg to start off with) between your knees pressed. You extend your arms to the side and roll hips/legs to one side, keeping the knees bent 90 degrees, moving/rotating hips untill the side of the knee is about to touch the ground, then pivot/rotate back up to middle and then to the other side. Control is important as with all these resistance drills.

Drill Five - Sandbag running/pick it up... you jog a few km to warm up. You jog 50 meters with the bag, then for 100 to 150 meters, you use 4-6 stages of accelleration to achieve an almost sprint that you maintain untill the 100 meters is up. Slow, staged accelleration is crutial, along with body control. You need a real smooth, pothole free path. Drop the bag down after 100 or so meters and rest by walking around or jogging between your intervals. Do as many intervals as you can without killing yourself. Use progression in weight and number of intervals. Running with the extra weight taxes all kinds of muscles use to support the running position that you never dreamed of.

Drill Six - Squat and hold... Hold bag same as power squat. Squat down halfway and hold.... for a long time, like 15 to 20 seconds, then back up. Use progression in number of reps. This works the muscles used in your ready position.

It is also easy to injure yourself if your movements are to sudden or uncoordinated as with any kind of weight training, even more so with this kind of free weight training. So always be careful to follow progression, control/coordination of body movements. Arlene's comments about Yoga are great for basic core developing and even beter for flexibility, which is under-rated in many trainers' routines. Warm-up and preparation of the muscles are important as with any weight routine. Do 5-8 reps of simple calithetics like the windmill, bend and reach, squats, pushups, sit-ups, lateral shuffles, and the like before starting the hardcore weight resistance drills. You gotta do similar ones to help stretch/cool down as well.

Janitor at Nexy USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 04:44 
Don Skaffa

mehh I think I'd rather be slower than doing all those drills lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 07:55 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Der_Echte wrote:
Suggested drills for strengthening core. (I also like Arlene's ideas about flexibility along with strength)

Sounds similar to what I did in citizen's army training. :shocked:

Maybe I'll skip the weights part while I'm still overweight...

But yes, they are simple exercises which could be done at home! Great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 10:01 
Rubber Killer!

Wow, those do sound like Army drills :)

I like the whole idea of building the core strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 13:09 

These are not Army drills. I discovered/dreamed these up over a few days when I had a chance to train aside from our unit. Our standard physical training does not use weight resistance often, maybe once in a while logs for team resistance. I get to train the ones who fail our physical fitness test or are too fat. I use this routine once a week, maybe twice a week as a variation for better total body fitness - we have to focus more on cardio every day as that is what most of them fail at. I always incorperate rest between days and progression. The weakest ones do this drill and do not get injured, being careful about their movement. We make a 5-7 km circuit out of this drill stopping every 250-300 meters for 1/3 of the group to do one of the exercises and 1/3 of the group carries and jogs with the sandbag (I hand out enough 20 kg bags for 1/3 of the group) to the next stop while 2/3 get to jog without a bag. It is very challenging, but you get a break every 300 meters and 30-45 seconds is plenty of time to recover to go at it again, barely.

This is of course not the only way to develop the core (I bet you never see a devoted Yoga exercisor or Martial Arts trainee/instructor have problems with strength, flexibility, endurance, or muscle coordination - there is a good reason why), but I like using easy to make weight resistors once everyone is basically fit enough to start using them. As I said before, flexibility is often forgeten and must be mixed into every workout. All this sounds and looks really hardcore, but can be done anywhere by anyone at differing levels of fitness who are careful enough about how they coordinate their movements with great results.

Janitor at Nexy USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 16:45 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

:thumleft: hehehe.... how about i chop heavy to you. BH and FH. you can loop kill the ball, do that for 1 and 1/2hour a day 7 days a week :thumright:

metal monkey :safe: