OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 05:21 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
whether league games or practice i strive to play the way i want to eventually become perfect at.

basically, this means i set the pace of the game (as much as i can) and force the opponent into the defensive. (because eventually, i wanna become a good offensive player)

only difference, during practice game, i try new serves.. i come up with some.. i push some to their limit. during league games, my serves are safer. (theoretically.. i still lose tons from missed serves :-/)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 05:41 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'd recommend working on the weaknesses and forget about results in anything except tournaments. The thing that I especially am trying to work on in practice matches is working on my strategy. I know that I need to work on moving my feet better, getting myself in better position, and being more aggressive with the forehand, not content to take everything with the backhand. I also want to really work on a true strategy for how I want to win points. Not just a "hit and see where the point takes me", but really thinking about my strengths and how I want to try and win each point. I've even written myself notes about what I want to try and do, to remind myself each time of what I am supposed to be working on, until it becomes more natural.

I think that's one thing that a lot of people overlook, the strategy. Sure, we all strive to improve our technique, but I think a lot of people would also improve their standing if they started thinking in terms of putting points together, combinations, shot placement, and what suits their strengths. I've just realized that, after many years, and am trying to give that as much focus as form. After just a couple of sessions doing that, I beat a couple of guys that I hadn't been able to get past for a while, I think it really helped. Maybe it can help you too.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 05:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'm the same way. I always wondered why I just couldn't get anything going against certain players, and why they always seemed to control the point. It's because I let them control the point. I think a plan is especially important when serving. It's the one time that you really have 100% control over the spin and placement of the shot. My problem is that I tend to hope for an outright winner on the serve, then when they get it back I'm at a disadvantage because I'm not really ready to win the point any other way. Now, having the plan helps me to prepare for my next shot, hopefully some sort of loop attack with my forehand to their backhand. It really helped me to hit a higher percentage of my loops, as I was already preparing for my shot, even before my opponents made their return.

Think about your game, what you're best at. Write some notes, and check them before every game of every match. I bet it will help.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 06:37 

when i first started to play i was able to put away almost anything
although my chopping pushing etc was pretty poor so spent ages trying to get better at that
unfortunately i now have a very good push game but seem to of lost the ability to hit the bloody ball
with my new setup however some of that is coming back also a tip about watching the other players position has helped me focus on ball placement instead of just getting the ball back on the other side
also like you i have a habit of watching my serves thinking they are good then being shocked when they come back
never mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 07:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
An excelllent topic speedplay!

I often get carried away in practice too, and forget that it's a practice session and try to win. I agree with the others that if it's not a proper training session, then try and practice weaker parts of your game, and try to be more aggressive, and these agressive shots will become more and more consistant...

Servers is something you can really practice in games.... go for that little bit extra...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 08:12 
Super User

10yrs still trying wrote:
i have a habit of watching my serves thinking they are good then being shocked when they come back

You are not the only one :lol: . There are moments when we are desperate to win and we want the game to end quickly , even with lucky shots ... Instead of taking long breaks to cool off between points (just look at the pro's how they are taking deep breaths and preparing themselves for the next point) we are rushing into play and suddenly we have an "empty head" and we are playing only by instinct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 08:18 
Super User

Kreanga said in his training movie :

Quote:
I am not afraid to play like that ...

Because that is his training , is his second nature, thousands and millions of powerloopings , powerflips and so on ... If you play "safe" in time you will be playing safer and safer and at the end you will be able only to pass the ball over the net because your body and mind won't let you do another way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 22:17 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
speedplay: au contraire! i have no trouble pushing.. i like to improve looping. cuz the ceiling on perfecting loops is much higher than the ceiling of perfecting pushes :) (ive spent 20 years pushing.. looping is a 4-5 yr ordeal for me:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2007, 22:31 
EJ in recovery

depends who I am practicing against,when practicing against good players I try practice serving short and tight as well as keeping the short game tight i.e. pushes etc.
Against lesser opposition I practice a lot of chops and looping also make sure my pushes are long so I can tell the difference what a good push and bad push is.
I don't care about the score and go for my shots as well as concentrate on technique,when I play passivly I am REALLY bad :cry:

Tibhar CTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2007, 02:08 

Practice like you play and play like you practice if you are doing practice games. Use drills to improve specific parts of your game but when you are doing practice games always play it the way you want to and when you play a real game play it that way. It's the only way to become more consistent.

All higher rated players are not really that much better when you compare them stroke for stroke. It's the most consistent ones that will win more than lose. It's only at a much higher level where in game strategy becomes important because by then you are more consistent and can control your shots much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2007, 06:00 

Well the first thing I'd tell you is you need to find a practice partner that will drill with you. I'll fallen into that trap before where all they want to do is play games and my game suffered for that. Failing that what you can do is incorporate drill like in game situations for specific parts of the game that you want to work on. For example:

1) Underspin serve -> loop 3rd ball attack
2) Topspin serve -> kill / loop kill 3rd ball attack
3) Drop to return shot underspin serve
4) Attack all long serves
5) Fast push -> loop attack

You get the idea. Pick one or 2 variations for each game and make sure you have at least half or more of the points played out that way.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!