OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Adding a new shot
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 14:52 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Was playing a 2400 level player and he had me back from the table, (don't happen too often) and I was looping at him from a couple paces back. He did a block on a real hard loop pulling his bat back and dropped the ball just over the net. The ball never moved, just bounced in place.
I have seen the shot before but not done as well as he does it. I practiced it today and it is a shot I want. Had my partner loop at me and I practiced the pull back drop. After 30 minutes, I had it down where most would at least double bounce and once in a while they would just stay on the table.
Untill now, I would usually punch block hard angles but this drop if done right leaves the opponant standing there without a chance of getting to it in time.
I will be playing 5 or 6 days a week now and am going to practice this shot till it feels easy. With the Seemiller grip, blocking is eaiser than other grips, (imo) and is eaisest in the center of the body. I was pleased with how far I got today with it. I'll let you know how it goes.
The 2400 level players are out of my league but the level I play at, I can drive most players back. This shot would be a real point getter for those guys that like to loop from a couple meters back. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 15:20 
Super User

Pretty amazing block. Is there some degree of backspin involved with the block?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 15:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's sounds pretty amazing...

Question is can it be done consistantly? Drop shots are dangerous... if you don't keep them low and short they're an easy put-away...

I think it's pimples it's certainly possible, but not easy with a fast blade and/or a springy sponge...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 16:14 
Super User

In my opinion, if someone is able to do this to you consistently with ordinary sandwich rubber on fast blade then your placement is too obvious and they have too much time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 16:40 

Some time ago I was plying a 50 year old chinese guy who was able to block just over the net one minute and fast the next minute. I was trying all sorts of loop, but he just squashed me with the variation of his blocks :cry: . He used SP end penhold. I also agree that a short stop-block is quite difficult with inverted rubber on a fast blade, but with SP it is certainly possible.

Flemming

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 18:02 

The only way this shot works is when someone is back from the table looping at you. You can't pick placement as well from there and the distance is what gives you the time. This guy could do it regular. I even switched bats with him and he had no trouble with my bat. He uses speed glued magna/off- blade and my setup is faster than his. It did not reverse spin but took lots of the spin off. Most of my attempts would bounce once and just clear the end of the table, the better ones would double bounce. Keeping it low is hard at first but the longer I tried, the better I did. I think I can get this down to a usable shot in the next few weeks.
The angle of the blade is just about what you would use to loop but you are pulling back fast. The hardest thing at first was making myself pull back. The hand wanted to push.
This guy is not your average player either. When we are just hitting, and I hit a hard loop to his backhand, he will hit the return from behind his back just for fun. He gets more on the table than he misses.
He is also the guy that got me to switch from anti to LP. I only see this guy once every few months or I could get more help from him.
Haggisv, yea, it is not easy and you do have to keep them low. Thats why I figure on practicing this for weeks yet. And he could do it consistantly even with my blade. I used to do it easy with anti without pulling back and it reversed the spin but LP can do more as I can hit with it. Haven't tried it with the LP. The LP is fast compared to anti but slower than the Energy. If I block a hard loop with the Screw Soft, it kills the speed and most of the spin. Infact, some blocks with the LP float so it reversed the spin. I'll try the shot with the LP tomorrow. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 18:57 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

J.O. invented this shot, but he usually did it as a side spin block, rather than a straight block.

In countless matches he pulls his hand back at a sharp angle. I think it's easier to do the side spin version than the stop dead still version, when using inverted. The side spin takes the ball off the side of the table, and probably makes the ball even harder to play- relative to light top spin.

Yes, I'd like it in my tool kit too!

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 19:02 

Hookshot if you play that guy again make sure to make a video recording. I would love to see this stop block in action.

Flemming

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 21:04 
Super User

Shoebox9 wrote:
J.O. invented this shot, but he usually did it as a side spin block, rather than a straight block.

In countless matches he pulls his hand back at a sharp angle. I think it's easier to do the side spin version than the stop dead still version, when using inverted. The side spin takes the ball off the side of the table, and probably makes the ball even harder to play- relative to light top spin.

Yes, I'd like it in my tool kit too!

Yeap J.O. did that kind of shot ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2007, 21:14 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Sounds like a great shot to be able to pull off. Look forward to seeing it in a vid. You makin' me jealous being able to train like that.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2007, 05:52 
EJ in recovery

sounds like a very low % shot to me,if your at the table and your opponent is looping from a couple metres back if you block to the opposite side that he is is a much better % shot all imo of course

Tibhar CTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2007, 07:17 
Super User

I actually find this shot fairly easy to do as a penholder; with shakehand, you can't move your paddle backwards much when blocking, whereas with penhold you only have to turn your shoulder back, and you can move the paddle right to your body. I also think that I can do it better with some tacky rubbers, since then the tack really slows the ball down and gives you a bit of dwell time to aim it more accurately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2007, 07:48 

Well, I tried it again today. I am not giving up but you may be right. I may never be good enough to get the % I need. It worked about 10% of the time when everything was right, placement, etc.
I also tried it with Dr Evil and that made it much eaiser. Part of the reason though is the Evil reverses spin so the backspin helps keep it on the table. Evil is also lots slower. Very similar to using anti. NP-2 ox was similar. Trouble with these is I can't hit with them like Screw Soft.
Hobbes, you are right about shakehand blocking but I don't use shake. Seemiller grip is probably the eaisest grip for blocking. I have used all three over the years.
Alfie, Punched angle blocks are what I do now. The pull back block is just another option that I would like to have. I learned to side punch block about two years ago on forhand. (bat vertical) I only do that once in a while but it is usually good for a point. The ball curves hard accross thier backhand, (I'm left handed) The lack of topspin and lots of side gives people problems. If I ever get this shot figured out, it would also be one of those "option" shots. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max