OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 07 May 2024, 21:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Loop style.
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 15:59 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Up until now I preferred to spinloop, but I notice that more often than not, they are far too easy to block, or even counterloop.

As a result I'm thinking of changing to a rubber that has a lower, faster bounce - probably Hurricane 2 or Bryce.

Should I go with H2 and keep my current brush action, or should I change to Bryce/similar and go for a more driveloop action?

I guess the difference is sort of like playing like Ma Lin/Wang Hao or playing like RSM/Yoshida Kai/etc

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 21:48 
EJ in recovery

you can drive with most rubbers Sil just a bit more consistant if they are not so soft,if you have the right blade angle and blade speed as well as forward momentum your sriver FX will be fine.
I think out of Bryce and H2 the H2 will be better(especially if you play close to the table) although only used H3 and really like it with either plenty of glue or CTE,
Bryce need very fast hands close to the table,magna maybe a better option if you don't go Chinese.
I also believe donic JO is great but not tried it

Tibhar CTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:17 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Not using Sriver FX anymore - ran out of sheets :P

I'm still going to speedglue everything.

I want to move back to a slower blade from the TBS. Maybe this P500 or back to my old WSC.

Anyway, I've got semifinals tomorrow for club fixtures and we should win, with or without my contribution. :P So I'll have a fiddle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:18 
EJ in recovery

what is a WSC do you mean SC

Tibhar CTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:21 
I am Legend
I am Legend

wsc = waldner sensor carbon
sc = schlager carbon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 22:33 
EJ in recovery

right never tried WSC but heard good things about it,very good control

Tibhar CTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:02 
Super User

I wouldn't worry too much about chucking your first loop up - if you want to loop off the table you have to expect to get in to loop-to-loop rallies. In fact, you should want to.

It's difficult because you want to have some penetration when you get in, especially following your own serves up, but if your serves are good you'll get balls to put away and balls to build rallies with. Either way you're in control.

Perhaps you should look at the depth of your slower loops. Also - try looking for the cross-over more. After your first loop you should think about taking a step out and giving your self time to engage in loop-loop rallies. From then on in it's about guile and craft, as, at distance, you ain't gonna loop many winners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:06 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
if the spinny loops are easy to block, wouldnt the drive loops be even easier?
(im talking close to the table)

when a drive loop comes towards me all i have to do is put my racket in front of it, and the return is a super fast block on the table 99.9% of the time.

when a slower spinny loop is coming towards me, first i have to compensate for the kick, then at contact, i have to either absorb some of the energy and slow the ball down even more, or try and close the angle and direct the ball, whichever, much harder to do than placing the racket in the path of the loop.

i guess u play more with far from the table opponents? in which case, they will adapt to non spinny loops easier than spinny loops.. no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:12 
EJ in recovery

[quote="priior"]if the spinny loops are easy to block, wouldnt the drive loops be even easier?
(im talking close to the table)
quote]

if the opponent knows where they are going maybe but if you are not predictable speed wins over spin imo

Tibhar CTE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:14 
Super User

Alfie - if your opponent can't read your direction it doesn't matter how hard you hit the ball.

When you play someone and you are outclassed it feels like your footwork is terrible and they just roll the ball past you - if you are skilled enough with good peripheral vision and you wait til your opponent makes a move before you play your shot then you can play the ball at half pace for winners.

Craft wins over everything

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:17 
I am Legend
I am Legend

No, I play quite a few close to the table blockers.

You're missing the point. You hit past people with speed, not spin. At the moment most of the players can get their bat to it in time (maybe 2/3). A faster loop would reduce that. Combine that with good placement, and I get more winners.

I'm not saying that all of my loops will change, just everything after the first loop (spin that up, then start drive looping).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:33 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe MC2
FH: Yinhe Jupiter 3 39deg
BH: Victas Ventus Extra
we have at least 2 people that do this (both girls btw :) ) do the opening loop with a lot of topspin, then smack the return real hard at either corner, but usually straight down the line.

in the beginning if was very effective, but after a while when anticipated, it turned against them, cuz a block of that fast smack is too fast to do anything useful with. so the point ends either at the 4th ball. lot more at 3rd in the beginning and more and more at 4th with time.

one way to find out :) try it for a month and let us know! this is what science is all about!

(as a side note, when defending - which seems to be what i end up doing when i'm outclassed, i find it really hard when they mix loops and drives, especially when some of them do it without changing their stroke - deception. so what you say has merit for sure.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:35 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I have had awful luck hitting fast loops for my openers, it seems they get blocked much easier and directed away from me for bad pressure or a winner. I get much more success landing a slow loop. The times I try for and succeed with a fast loop for an opener is when I can catch the opponent a bit out of position or expecting another placement. That is at my sucky intermediate level (that these tactics apply). Bogeyhunter has helped me to seek to gear down the speed of opener, up the spin, keep the opener low and deep and look for a chance to finish the return from the table or a step back. It has helped my game become more sound, but I still haven't gotten consistant enough to translate it into anything that dominates or wins matches, yet.

I agree with Sam's suggestions for the advanced and elite levels.

You all rock.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007, 23:43 
Super User

Silv - Am I missing the point? Or making a more valid one?

What I'm saying is learn to read your opponents better and the 'need for speed' will diminish. If you concentrating on watching your opponent through the ball then you will be able to roll winners and keep your style in check.

This isn't just for higher levels - some lower players have great peripheral vision, if nothing else. Anyone can train it if they choose to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 07:21 
EJ in recovery

Tabletennissam wrote:
Alfie
if you are skilled enough with good peripheral vision and you wait til your opponent makes a move before you play your shot then you can play the ball at half pace for winners.

my concentration and eyes are on the ball,the more you concentrate on something the less peripheral vision you have,I really don't think my mind can execute a 3rd ball attack and figure out if my opponent has made a move all within about 1/2 a second,just don't think I could do it

Tibhar CTE