OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 17:07 

Blade: Garaydia ZLC
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Dignics 09C
By the way I use a SKITT hobby bat to practice my twiddling. It is an incredibly heavy bat for beginners; this exercises the right hand muscles, now when I use my game bat, I twiddle flawlessly with barely any effort, and yes I twiddle while reading, watching tv, entertaining guests.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 02:39 

2) Twiddling during service: this is something that most players do even if they don’t twiddle any other time. This can be extremely effective depending on the opponent—especially at about 2000 USATT and below. The basic idea is to have an identical looking pips/anti and inverted serve and then to randomly and covertly switch between the two. After you serve, twiddle back to normal and proceed as usual. You might be surprised how long it will take some players to catch on to this strategy. Like the double-twiddle, this doesn’t involve rallying with the racket switched around so it’s ideal for beginners. One caveat, each serve must be a good service in its own right. Don’t depend on them misreading it: you must be ready for the return.

do you do the twiddle after you throw the ball, or do you just serve with the other side?

Joola Rosskopf exact medium
Stiga Destroyer OX
Yasaka Mark V

Galaxy K-4
Galaxy Moon Pro 2.0
DHS Hurricane 3 provincial 39°

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 06:36 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
wobblingman wrote:
do you do the twiddle after you throw the ball, or do you just serve with the other side?

When I used to have LP on my BH, I'd serve with inverted, and pretty much as soon as I'd hit the ball I'd twiddle, as I was getting into position for the next shot. It might be my imagination, but it seems like one has a bit more time for this transition. I never got the hang of twiddling during a rally.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 05:04 

Blade: Butterfly Diode V
FH: Imperial Superstrike 1.8
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I like to do a twiddle on serve a few times, and then when my opponent is wary of it, perform a double twiddle on serve, though it confuses me sometimes :lol:
Also, my coach can't make pip or inverted out when twiddling, so I just sit in front of the T.V. flipping the bat in my hand :D

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 09:57 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
wobblingman wrote:
2) Twiddling during service: this is something that most players do even if they don’t twiddle any other time. This can be extremely effective depending on the opponent—especially at about 2000 USATT and below. The basic idea is to have an identical looking pips/anti and inverted serve and then to randomly and covertly switch between the two. After you serve, twiddle back to normal and proceed as usual. You might be surprised how long it will take some players to catch on to this strategy. Like the double-twiddle, this doesn’t involve rallying with the racket switched around so it’s ideal for beginners. One caveat, each serve must be a good service in its own right. Don’t depend on them misreading it: you must be ready for the return.

This is how I tend to approach it:

1) secretly twiddle sometime before the toss hoping they're not paying attention to the color
2) twiddle after the toss but conceal the twiddle in the backswing

The second option is trickier but can be very effective if you have identical looking inverted and pips serves. Typically, the problem with twiddling after the toss is that it can be hard to conceal...Your bat is under a lot of scrutiny during the serve (good players learn to ignore the toss and watch the paddle). Sometimes trying to twiddle after the toss only ends up calling more attention to the twiddle, i.e., a player who might not have known otherwise will see the motion of the twiddle and adjust accordingly...

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 12:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I twiddle on serves like most with LP. I used to twiddle on serve return more than I do now-I find if I do not win the point immediately I almost always lose the point.

I will occasionally serve with inverted on my BH and not twiddle back and go for a 3rd ball attack with inverted on my BH as a "set play" but it works at best once a match.

I find I really have to spend a LOT more practice time to twiddle and hit a BH inverted loop and also be able to do a LP hit. Currently I do not even try.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 00:17 

FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
Hi guys,

I started to practise now this twiddling. Are there anyone here who is still practising or using twiddling?

Soba

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 09:28 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Soba wrote:
Hi guys,

I started to practise now this twiddling. Are there anyone here who is still practising or using twiddling?

Soba

Yeah, man! Twiddling is still a big part of my game. Keep practicing and don't give up on it. You don't have to use it all the time, but it's a nice tool to have!

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 09:43 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

I've recently actively started training heavy twiddling in my game, including the 180 degree twiddle. It's worth practicing. I just sit in front of the tv juggling the bat. THe key for me is being able to instinctively feel which side of the bat is on which side and hit appropriately without having to think about it - but It definitely pays off!

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 19:33 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Soba wrote:
Hi guys,

Soba
Me.

I twiddle on most chops, alternating between inverted and pips.

Sometimes I forgot that I am still using pips side for looping. :P

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 20:17 

Hi, nice to hear you´re active with it. Iplay FH inveretd and BH MP (keiler 1,8mm).My style is attacking allround game. I made a plan how to learn that skilll.

1.Learn to twiddle( i have always played with flared handel, so Im practising with that). By the way I have found new muscles in my arm. Get quite tired after 10 minutes twiddling.

2.Learn new strokes and practise old rusty ones. Pushing,countering,topspin vs.topspin,opening from backspin, chopping,smashing. All of these with both rubbers from both sides. I use multiball and robot also for that. I used to play inerted from both sides so BH hand is easier to practise.

3. Receiving and Serving with both rubbers. For example people serve to my deep BH no spin balls and its easier to receive it with inverted.

4. Bit by bit making patterns how to use twiddling in a rally and adding it to my game. Learn to know when its wise and when not.

Ill give myself time for this learning. Let see how is it after 6 months?

ps. Any tips how should I practise it when playing with my friends?

REgards,

Soba

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 04:25 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Soba wrote:
Hi, nice to hear you´re active with it. Iplay FH inveretd and BH MP (keiler 1,8mm).My style is attacking allround game. I made a plan how to learn that skilll.

1.Learn to twiddle( i have always played with flared handel, so Im practising with that). By the way I have found new muscles in my arm. Get quite tired after 10 minutes twiddling.

2.Learn new strokes and practise old rusty ones. Pushing,countering,topspin vs.topspin,opening from backspin, chopping,smashing. All of these with both rubbers from both sides. I use multiball and robot also for that. I used to play inerted from both sides so BH hand is easier to practise.

3. Receiving and Serving with both rubbers. For example people serve to my deep BH no spin balls and its easier to receive it with inverted.

4. Bit by bit making patterns how to use twiddling in a rally and adding it to my game. Learn to know when its wise and when not.

Ill give myself time for this learning. Let see how is it after 6 months?

ps. Any tips how should I practise it when playing with my friends?

REgards,

Soba
Use a different* kind of rubber between forehand and backhand, for example, Butterfly Tackiness Drive and Flextra. You don't have to use SP or LP at one side.

start at one return per 2 s, to one wing, and increase the speed when You sure You can, and

Loop**, twiddle, loop, twiddle, loop, twiddle, etc. ;-)

Focus on maintaining rhythm rather than speed.

*Let say, one is looping rubber, another is blocking rubber. Twiddling did not make sense when the rubbers are too similar.

**Can be Chop, Drive, or Block actually.

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 17:15 

I know few players here in Finland who twiddles. They are playing BH Lp and FH Inv. They usually twiddle BH so that inv comes there and then they loop. Yesterday when I was playing practise games and I twiddled my pimples to FH it was very surprising for the opponent. I get many easy points. Otherwise my twiddling game was disaster, but Ill learn.

Soba