OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: slowing down a loop
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 00:10 
Super User

so after 3 complete defeats at my local round robin, it turns out I need to work on my loop and make a loop for placement shots instead of forcing my opponent to lose pts.

but how should I change my stroke? If my stroke angle is X and my stroke length is Y, then would I have to increase X and decrease Y?

BH: Tibhar Grass D.Tecs OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: slowing down a loop
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 01:11 

too much top spin may help u to decrease y.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 01:27 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
wow! too much math. its like you are speaking in code. I understand but I feel like my head is gonna explode. It is easier to brush loop slow. The thinner the contact the easier it is to make a slow loop. The thing to consider is balancing how much spin you create. If you want less spin you still have to loop with enough spin to overcome the spin from your opponent so I would say its a balance.

its possible to loop with less spin with a loop that sinks more into the sponge but the speed wont be slow because the sponge will rebound the ball with more force than if you brush.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 02:36 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

P = W÷t
W = Fs
F = ma
a = (v - u)÷t Note: This is usually rearranged to v = u at
T = rF
Note: When two letters are next to each other it means multiplication. This is the correct notation. Take the second formula as an example, W = Fs This is expressed as W = F multiplied by s or W = F x s.

Where:
P = Power (The amount of oomph that is applied)
W = Work (The amount of energy that is consumed)
t = Time (Length of time the Power is applied for)
F = Force (Basically the amount of grunt the shot has. Similar to P but subtly different)
s = Displacement (this essentially translates to Distance, except under certain circumstances)
m = Mass (weight of the ball, fixed at 2.7g)
a = Acceleration (change in velocity over a given time period)
v = Velocity (speed of the shot)
u = Initial Velocity (how fast the ball is hit at you)
T = Torque (The amount of Turning Force that is applied)
r = Radius (the length from the middle of a circle, to the perimeter.)

P = W÷t
In order to gain more power in your shots, you have to do more work or take less time in your shots. The time in a shot refers to the time the ball is in contact with the racket which is fixed at approximately 0.003 seconds. Therefore, in order to increase the Work done, the second equation must be examined:

W = Fs
If the amount of Force is increased, then the Work coefficient is increased. The other way is to increase the Displacement, but that cannot be done as the length of the Table is fixed (technically, lobbing or looping the ball will increase the Work done, as the ball has to cover a larger distance than ball that barely clears the net). In order to increase Force, the third equation must be examined.

F = ma
In order to increase the Force, the Mass of the ball needs to be increased which is impossible, or the Acceleration needs to be increased. In order to increase the acceleration, we analyse the fifth equation.

a = (v - u)÷t
The result of the calculation between the brackets must be calculated first (it's a mathematical law). Therefore you want to maximize the acceleration, minimize the initial velocity. In order to maximize the velocity, you have to hit the ball as hard as you can. The initial velocity is something you have no control over, as it is how hard the opposition hits the ball at you. However, as the initial velocity is coming towards you, its value is negative. So it is actually added to your velocity, as subtracting a negative number actually means you add the two terms (another mathematical law). The time remains fixed, for the reason explained above.

Therefore this demonstrates why the harder you hit the ball, the more Power it will have.

But, speed is not everything in Table Tennis. There is spin, which will has to be discussed.

I hope this was helpful or X ( start ) Z up and down Y forward movement * Increase until desired effects take place.
Peace GIG
:rofl:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 03:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
michiganbob54!

THAT WAS AMAZINGLY FUNNY!

My hats off to your impressive creativity!!!! :party:

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 04:02 
It is illogical to play with a uniform surface!

No my freind I need to thank Greg Letts for this on ABout.com. His creative warped sense
of table tennis has created this Math brain fart. But think about it. Is math and physics the key to improving one's stroke. If in deed X is the starting point which I believe it is. then it must look like this::

T = table
A = angle
S = speed
X = zero or start
Z = up and down
Y = forward motion

The formular for a perfect loop T=( XZ)+ ( Y ) + ( SA )

I hope that is just as confusing
Peace GIG
:rock: :lol: :rofl:

New blade set-up... Nittaku Monophonic with Dawie 388d-1 ox and Big slam max ( really like this one) down to FH rubber selections--I like it better than talon
flaired handle and 90 grams

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 14:19 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I find this very funny! :lol:

Just to revive, I slowed down my loop by slowing down on my blade ( from zlc off ++ to spirit medium fast ). My spin slowed down but become more consistent.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 01:28 
Super User

I had a similar issue.. I felt when I went for power, my stroke became more horizontal, hitting above the ball which is understandable but I also realized that i couldn't pull it off all the while. To solve it to some extent, now I am trying to take a slower more upward swing.

I have come to realize that if I just concentrate on taking a "slower" swing, I gain a lot of consistency - especially close to the table - and automatically the swing becomes more upward for a high arc loop. If I concentrate of taking a more vertical swing, I end up throwing it long because I didn't adjust for power.

Maths is good to understand but numbers have a funny way of not relating to how a human body works - while numerically, both X and Y are equally important, physiologically its easier for me to think and control swing speed than swing angle.

Away from the table, this holds but the definition changes - if you take a slow swing away from the table, you better have the full swing going else you wouldnt reach the net but if you do that, you will see better consistency and placement.

Also, this is reverse in case of looping underspin. In that case I just try to take a vertical swing and hit behind the ball. But that is probably because of some other concerns in my own game.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 01:30 
Super User

A quick tip - instead of thinking of "swing angle" think about "where on the ball should I be making contact".
It will yield more consistent results.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 06:50 
The Unprogrammable Player

michiganbob54 wrote:
No my freind I need to thank Greg Letts for this on ABout.com. His creative warped sense
of table tennis has created this Math brain fart. But think about it. Is math and physics the key to improving one's stroke. If in deed X is the starting point which I believe it is. then it must look like this::

T = table
A = angle
S = speed
X = zero or start
Z = up and down
Y = forward motion

The formular for a perfect loop T=( XZ)+ ( Y ) + ( SA )

I hope that is just as confusing
Peace GIG
:rock: :lol: :rofl:

My formula would be different :) I prefer T = (XA) + (ZS) + ( Y )

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 05:16 
Horse Hockey!

Like Einstein said (to slightly paraphrase), it really all comes down to E = M*(HHYCS)

where E = Energy, M = Mass, and HHYCS = How Hard You Can Smash (the s**t out of the ball)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 19:07 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

From my personal experience near the table esp. against underspin one got to take the ball later and swing longer but with more brush than hit.
I don't really know how about topspin probably use less force and brush more?

Probably emphasizing one's placmeent game will help slow down the loop..

Now could someone help me to translate this to X and Ys? :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 07:02 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
i understand actually....

the difference between looping underspin vs looping top spin is only in the wrist, your body and arm should move exactly the same....if you find yourself changing the angle of your arm to loop under-spin you might be doing it incorrectly....

this being said.....you want to slow down a loop....move your body and arm slower....and adjust your wrist accordingly....

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 08:16 
Super User

practice slowly...loop...slower...and a bit more slower...ask your partner to block back slowly, softly...

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 13:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Listen to the sound of one hand clapping.

:lol: