OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 23:29 

Hi guys,
I am having some trouble against my cousin, who is a counterhitter. When I start looping, he just blocks it using his forehand(SP). It seems that he only
Ever uses FH. Since my loops are quite fast, I receive very fast balls which I can't react to fast enough. Pls help.

Cheers,
RJ
P.S I've already read the basic strategy against but I'm not very good at putting heavy spin in the ball. Also, my cousin has very good footwork and can lunge from the other end of the table.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 00:20 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

If your loops are fast I find it difficult to believe you can't get him to play a BH block. In any case, practice looping heavier with a higher net clearance.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 10:13 

It's because he plays penhold

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 11:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You can either stop looping (ie try a different strategy) if you don't like the returns, or loop slower and go for better placement and/or more spin. Mixing in some sidespin loops can be effective too, coz if they're mis-read they'll often block them into the net.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2013, 21:27 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
As a counter hitter I don't like it when players give combinations of the extremes, lot's of spin or no spin as it stops me getting in to a comfortable rhythm.

A counter hitter won't like having to generate their own pace. Having to do so can throw off their timing or expose flaws in their own technique. So I wouldn't get hung up about the idea of going for more and more power.

Also be careful with your ball placement. Don't put the ball in their hitting zones - or blocking zones. Again the idea is to make them have to move or "lean". If they aren't good at movement, ie they tend to reach or lean for the ball, their bat angle will change and if they don't pay attention to their bat angle they'll make mistakes.

It is possible to hit through counter hitters but you'll need good placement skills to do that as much as the ability to put pace on the ball and remember the more pace you give them to work with the less they have to do and the faster the ball comes back at you, giving you less time to prepare for your next shot.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 06:58 
Super User

Play heavy underspin pushes early in the rally. Serve nospin or very heavy underspin. Wait for him to open weakly and counterloop into his elbow.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 07:06 
Super User

Rahul_TT wrote:
Play heavy underspin pushes early in the rally. Serve nospin or very heavy underspin. Wait for him to open weakly and counterloop into his elbow.

:up:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 12:05 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Whatever you do, do NOT, do NOT, make fast drives or fast loops, unless they will be clean winners. All counterblocker has to do is get the bat there and grip the bat to reflect back what you gave him.

ESPECIALLY, regardless of the shot, do NOT make the shot land half-depth. That makes it too easy to block or go on attack.

DO, change the spins, especially in favor of very slow, deep placed HEAVY spin. Give a push sometimes when he thinks you will attack, get a bump back then open HEAVY.

The suggestion of baiting counterdriver to attack is also a sound way as there is a different rythm to attacking, then going right back to fast block defence.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 12:41 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Rahul_TT wrote:

I agree, except that as he is penhold I would tend to counterloop wide. Long heavy pushes - largely to the middle - is definitely worth a go.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 14:27 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
you can also try standing slightly further back (6 to 12 inches) than you normally do, his quick counters have less effect, and you have more time to generate much more spin...

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 16:55 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
He's been to familiar with your loop thus can adjust accordingly. Try to add variation to your shot..

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 20:48 

Thanks for all your opinions and time. :clap: I'll be sure to use your advice the next time I play against him. But I don't think that will be very soon as during my previous training I forgot to do warm ups and pulled a muscle. :swear: Now my shoulder hurts like crazy... ;(

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 01:18 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Ouch.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter