OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 08:18 

i have been playing with pimples out rubber for quiet some time now ,and i have come to a point where i think pimples are holding me back!! One of the major things i encouter and which is really annoyning is just the simple short back spin push on my pimpled out rubber .If i return it with my pimples i get killled directly by a fast finish loop . if i twiddle and return it with my inverted rubber they than attack me on my forehand which now has the pimpled out rubber so i either have to retwiddle to block attack etc which boots me out of balance and eventually loose the point or i chop the ball which is really hard to do since i am close to the table!
So what do you think is the best way to handle this kind of shot?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 08:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Assuming you're playing with LP in OX (as per your signature), you can push it deep and aggressively with the pips, right into their body or to their weaker side. Either that or you can lightly push it back short (and low), which will give them a lot of their spin back. If there is little to no spin on the ball, brush the ball sideways (in a swiping action) into the same spots.
The key with LP pips is to mix it up though, so don't do the same thing everytime.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 08:42 

thank you for your quick reply, the shot is loaded with backspin this mostly happens after a heavy chop on my opponent's loop , he push it back and short so i have to run all the way to the table and once i return it he gets an empty or topsin ball so he end up doing a fast killer loop on it .

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 09:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
There is no doubt that long pimples can be a liability in certain shots like you mention. There is no single perfect rubber. You can work to return that shot better or not allow your opponent to do that shot or try another rubber.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 09:07 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
755 in ox might not be the best long pip for you if you chop often. There are other LPs more suited to that shot.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 09:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

NGH wrote:
he push it back and short so i have to run all the way to the table and once i return it he gets an empty or topsin ball so he end up doing a fast killer loop on it .

The fact that you have to run all the way back is not really anything to do with the rubber. However if you can get there in time, an agressive push can be a good option. If you can't do that, you can push very deep, the deeper the better, which will make it hard for him to loop hard, and it help give you time to get back into position to chop the next loop again.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 09:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

BTW You should read leatherback's blog: a half year in China, memoirs of a defender for some really great tips!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 09:43 

Thanks Haggisv i will :)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 10:02 

the topic is awsommmmme i cant stop reading !!!lol
maybe i will give sp a try :P

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 10:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

NGH wrote:
the topic is awsommmmme i cant stop reading !!!lol

It is indeed... and it only gets better, so it's best to read the whole thing!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 12:37 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
hey NGH

im glad you are enjoying my writings...

against a short heavy underspin, the side swipe is VERY effective.....and once mastered you will want your opponents to give you this shot....

@haggisV - thanks for the kind words about my blog :) i hope to be writing another one soon as I play to visit china for another 6 months in the next two years, as well as blog about my training with the national team here in Canada....

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 17:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

leatherback wrote:
i hope to be writing another one soon as I play to visit china for another 6 months in the next two years, as well as blog about my training with the national team here in Canada....

That will be awesome! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 00:19 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
NGH wrote:
thank you for your quick reply, the shot is loaded with backspin this mostly happens after a heavy chop on my opponent's loop , he push it back and short so i have to run all the way to the table and once i return it he gets an empty or topsin ball so he end up doing a fast killer loop on it .

That short under spin is exactly what you wanted, be prepare to quickly recover after your chop and position yourself to pick hit with your 755 OX. Under spin is perfect for pick hitting, with 755 OX, you can hit any corner, the under spin resulting to top spin will guide the ball to those small triangles just behind the net. Even if they get the ball back, it will be weak and you can do whatever to finish the point.

But of course, you have to know how to pick hit any under spin first, time to more practice. :)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 18:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Also, don't give up on twiddeling. Pushing back with the inverted side now and then can be very effective. You should be able to twiddle back in time if your opponent loops to your FH. Practice (twiddeling is something you can practice anywhere, but it is also good to built it into a drill, for example trying the Falkenberger using only inverted).
Good Luck!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 22:54 

Thank you all for your help I will post in the week to come a video of me playing so you can understand more my playing style btw thx again for your advices